The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FatDinah View Post
    If he can get at least 12 hrs in the indoor through the remaining winter months and then full turnout once it has warmed up and grass can take it, can't you live with that?
    It sounds like you want the BO to bend her rules just for you but you aren't willing to bend at all.
    Let's just consider the horse, shall we? Horses are not hamsters...they do not do well in cages. I don't think it's a matter of "bending the rules", but considering what is best for the horse. NO turnout is NOT best. Indoor only turnout for a young TB is not in the best interest of that particular horse, or any horse for that matter. I wouldn't go so far as saying the owner is a wacko, her barn..her choice, but I would scratch it off my list of options for board in a New York minute. In my mind, it's just pure lazy and selfish not to turn horses out for at least a few hours every day. The best interest of the horse should be the primary focus in any boarding barn.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't think there is any question this is not the barn for you. I would not continue to push it, I think No is a complete sentence, you asked and they said no. Its their barn. It may happen that you will badger the owner into saying ok and then be posting on here in a month saying you moved to a barn that said they would turn your horse out and they wont.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chism View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as saying the owner is a wacko, her barn..her choice, but I would scratch it off my list of options for board in a New York minute.
    I agree with your entire post except for the part where you opine that the owner of the barn in question might not be a wacko. The OP stated that the BO doesn't turn the horses out when it is below 50. In New York.

WACKO!

And I will just put it out there that there is no way the horse will get turned out for 12 hours in the indoor. I assume they use it to turn all of the horses out, and also for riding...not to mention the terrible mess that would quickly materialize in that indoor if there is at least one horse turned out in there for 12 hours a day. Lots of manure, urine, etc. And, if they feed hay in there, which they would have to if the horse is in there that long...hay strewn everywhere.

Sorry if I seem hyped up about this, but I kind of am. It is SO upsetting to me that there are barns out there that just confine their horses for months on end because they are too lazy or too stupid to deal with the weather where they live.

4 members found this post helpful.

Wacko or not, it's her barn, her rules. I would guess if they don't turn out, they are not going to change their program just for one boarder, although of course it never hurts to ask.

I have a small private barn, and if someone wanted their horse in a stall at night, I would say no, and the fact that I have stalls would be irrelevant. Horses in stalls overnight (as a regular thing) is just not what I want to do.

I'd ask, but I would expect that I'd have to look elsewhere to find a program that better suited my horse.

Preface: I don't agree AT ALL with this BO. Horses should go out, and while I do occasionally not turn out for various reasons, I make EVERY effort to get my horses out every day.

THAT BEING SAID....OP, as much as you like this barn otherwise, I think you may be trying to cram your "square peg" (wanting regular, daily turnout in, shocking, the turnout available) into this barn's "round hole" (no turnout except a little time in the indoor). It isn't worth it. You will always be miserable. The staff will be miserable because you are completely against the grain, and you will be back at square one....looking for a new barn. I would pass. Fruit loop or no, they don't want to accommodate you and it isn't worth it.

I speak as a BM. We can't accommodate everyone who wants to board their horse with us. I don't do field board, no matter how much you ask. I can only take some many horses who require individual turn out. I can not groom your horse when it comes in. As a BM, we have our policies and set up and some people fit in, and some don't. Flexibility is fine, but at some point, the boarder has to still go with the general flow of the operation. It sucks this place is so great for you otherwise, but I think you will ultimately just not be happy.

If you are dead set on trying, I would try and talk to some other boarders. Ask about the other seasons (maybe they turn out more in the warmer months?). But, my gut is saying this just won't work for you.

I do agree with SMF11 and yellowbritches.

For your own happiness and sanity, it is absolutely critical that you and the BO are like-minded about the core issues related to horse care. Turnout is a big one. Feeding is a big one. Maintenance of arenas is a big one. Stall cleaning is a big one.

I'm the happiest I have been in a boarding situation...I think EVER...right now...and that's because the BO and I are like-minded on the basics that really matter. Do we 100% hold all of the same opinions on every detail of every little thing? No. But we are on the same page, and often even the same sentence on that page, about MOST things. It makes so much difference. Constantly clashing with a BO isn't fun for anyone.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I agree with your entire post except for the part where you opine that the owner of the barn in question might not be a wacko. The OP stated that the BO doesn't turn the horses out when it is below 50. In New York.

WACKO!
    I try very hard always to see both sides of any given situation. My horses live out 24/7. In my mind, that is best. I consider full day turnout to be a necessary evil in boarding barns, not ideal..but the best working scenario. Anything less for turnout just isn't fair to the horse and causes all sorts of behavioral and soundness issues. However, I fully subscribe to the "my barn, my rules" mentality. People can vote with their wallets and their feet. She may very well be a wacko, but to call her that simply because she doesn't turn the horses out to my ideal isn't really right. (and just as an added piece of information...the OP's horse actually belongs to me, so I'm a bit invested in his care).
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Don't try to change the BO. If they don't believe in turnout, for whatever reason, they will not do it. Just like if they think bedding is not important and a single coffee can of pellets is enough to soak up the pee...you will not convince them otherwise. Been there, done that, I could write a book. My horses are all home for a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by chism View Post
    I try very hard always to see both sides of any given situation. My horses live out 24/7. In my mind, that is best. I consider full day turnout to be a necessary evil in boarding barns, not ideal..but the best working scenario. Anything less for turnout just isn't fair to the horse and causes all sorts of behavioral and soundness issues. However, I fully subscribe to the "my barn, my rules" mentality. People can vote with their wallets and their feet. She may very well be a wacko, but to call her that simply because she doesn't turn the horses out to my ideal isn't really right. (and just as an added piece of information...the OP's horse actually belongs to me, so I'm a bit invested in his care).
    LOL, well, you don't have to call the BO a wacko. I'll do it for you, and I don't even know the person. I'm comfortable with my assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    LOL, well, you don't have to call the BO a wacko. I'll do it for you, and I don't even know the person. I'm comfortable with my assessment.
    LOL...

"Hello BO,
    You have a lovely facility/pretty horses/geometric muck pile/etc. Unfortunately, Horsey needs to be turned put at least x hours per day due to energy level/stifles/health/photosynthesis/etc. I understand if this is not something you can provide, can you recommend somewhere else for me? It's been lovely meeting you and I hope we can meet again sometime at a horse show/for coffee/to build snowmen in hades/etc."

6 members found this post helpful.

No. It is unreasonable to expect that any boarding barn will change their regular practices for one person. You either move in accepting that, at best, things will stay the same as they are now, or you don't move in. The honest BOs will tell you that they won't accomodate your needs. The rest will tell you that they will, but won't actually do it. The ones that will actually accomodate the needs of an individual horse are few and far between, generally expensive, and have long waiting lists. The BO here sounds like the former- she is being honest and telling you she won't do it. Please believe her and don't go there unless you are willing to accept their program.

I would suggest you look elsewhere. Even if you did manage to talk them into turning your horse out, will they provide hay out there, and fresh (unfrozen) water? What happens if he needs a blanket change? I expect the board is cheap because not turning out saves time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaR View Post
    "Hello BO,
    You have a lovely facility/pretty horses/geometric muck pile/etc. Unfortunately, Horsey needs to be turned put at least x hours per day due to energy level/stifles/health/photosynthesis/etc. I understand if this is not something you can provide, can you recommend somewhere else for me? It's been lovely meeting you and I hope we can meet again sometime at a horse show/for coffee/to build snowmen in hades/etc."
    ^ hahaha OMG

I think I will be running. If anyone is familiar with NY, please send me in the right direction haha.. Thank you everyone for the responses. I guess it's a perfect fit for me but for the horse in question, would be hell -- and horses are always first!
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    If anyone is familiar with NY, please send me in the right direction haha..
    NY is a pretty large state. Can you narrow it down to what part of the state?

I found a place to board my horses that didn't offer turnout..although I was welcome to come out and do it myself. I asked the owner if I could approach her barn workers about hiring them to do it for me. She said yes, and I struck a deal with the fellow who did the stalls to turn my horses out every day and then bring them in. He was very knowledgeable, and responsible...I'd asked around about him beforehand. He would pull their blankets, too, and put them back on. It worked out great for me for the seven years I had my three horses there, and he appreciated the extra money. A couple of other boarders complained about my special treatment. The BO told them they were also free to make arrangements and pay extra for turnout. They weren't willing to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    NY is a pretty large state. Can you narrow it down to what part of the state?
    I just moved to upstate NY. I'm in Oneonta.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

The help do not always accommodate in the way that you expect. I remember one farm where one of the trainers wanted her horses out all year round and she paid the Mexican workers to do it. Imagine her surprise to see one of the workers riding her hot Grand Prix dressage horse in from the paddock, bareback, halter and leadline!

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    The help do not always accommodate in the way that you expect. I remember one farm where one of the trainers wanted her horses out all year round and she paid the Mexican workers to do it. Imagine her surprise to see one of the workers riding her hot Grand Prix dressage horse in from the paddock, bareback, halter and leadline!

Reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uQOchrK7NA . Maybe the hot Grand Prix dressage horse didn't mind dawdling his way back to breakfast carrying his handler.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible