The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oh Lord. Am about to officially be Krazy Kat Lady

My husband is disgusted with me. I made the mistake of going to our local pet food/garden store on a Sunday. Sunday is cat aadoption day. Dammit. I fell in love with a big black and white tuxedo boy of unknown age. With multiple digits (he has thumbs). He was rescued TWO YEARS AGO by a kindly certifiable Krazy Kat Lady and she has been trying to adopt him out since then. He las lived in a crate at her house for TWO YEARS. He is nervous. Will be a lot of work. He did let her pick him up to take hhim out of his crate to show him to me. I did not attempt picking him up. He did sniff my hand and let me pat him. And did I mention I have four cats already?

Suggestions, please. I know to give him his own room for a while and sit quietly with him while dispensing canned food and treats.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

First, let me say congratulations, and thank you for helping this boy out! Second, what you've already mentioned is a great starting place, in my opinion, and also what I do with a shy, new cat. Enjoy the new member of your family, and you're NOT a Krazy Kat Lady (from what I can tell, anyway!)!

Nah, this is a "training project" cat. If your other ones are already trained (to mooch and love), then you don't have a way to keep progressing as a NutterCatter.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Pics!!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I'll tell you what, I have a sneaking suspicion that I am about to become your twin, so we can commiserate together. I, too, have four cats, and I DO NOT need another. But, I am going to go to the local Humane Society today to drop off the collection jar proceeds for the month. They have a 14 year old cat there that has been tugging at my heart strings all month. Who dumps a 14 year old cat? I have a feeling I'll come home with her. My only hope is that they had a giant adoption do this weekend and, maybe, someone adopted her and they just haven't updated their site yet. I have to talk to them because, supposedly, she's on the shy side, and I have one very boisterous cat that tends to be somewhat obnoxious to the others, so I don't know if it would be a good fit.

With your guy, just take it slow. It'll probably take him quite a while to adjust, after what he has been through the last two years. I wish you good luck.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

Join the club and I think it is sweet. I am full here - have 5 in and 5 out. 5 are ferals that I have trapped, spayed/neutered, microchipped, vaccinated and de-flead. I certainly feel like a Krazy Kat lady...

Louis, you are a sweetheart to think about taking that 14 year old. I really have to be careful - when I see the older cats at Petsmart that the Humane Society has, and I HAVE to just walk by. I have a soft spot for the oldies, but have to make sure I can afford to care for the ones I have....

1 members found this post helpful.

You guys make me happy - I feel so awful over the unwanted kitties in the world, I always feel better when I hear of an adoption - especially a hard to adopt one, like a very shy kitty or the 14 yr old.

As a failed kitten foster, (it took me two times to realize I was incapable of giving up any of the so-called "foster" kittens, sigh) I still have too many to adopt more.

But when I get down to a reasonable "pride" size, I'm planning to adopt an oldster in need now & then too. For now I have to close my eyes walking by the adoptables in PetSmart & get a burst of joy when I hear of someone adopting a needy older kitty.

So THANKS you guys! Give the shy guy plenty of time - I had one that took almost a year before she really accepted me - don't push petting & picking up, it will come!

And PLEASE do take the 14 yo if you can, I bet you are repaid in spades

At some point, I will specialize in adopting old cats.

Here's how this works. My mom finally got a cat of her own (dumped on her by my sister, but mommy and cat clicked). He died and my mom is hesitant to get another cat because *she's* old (but realistically will outlive a cat). Then, feeling the pain of "being old"), she decided she'd like to adopt an older cat. I thought this was great because "what you see is what you get" with an oldster. But the only way my mom could do this was if I promised that *I* would take her new old cat if she got kick-the-bucket old.

It would break my heart to think of an old person not replacing their last pet. It's hard enough when you age and watch your friends die. You need a cat. So you need someone else signed up to take the cat whenever.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

I signed up to take my grandmother's last pets. Because I said I would do that she adopted two cats from the shelter. I think she's going to outlive the cats still but she didn't think so and had announced she was done with pets after having them all her life. All the shelter ads that say the owner died make so sad; they're always the pets I want to go get....

Then my grandpa went and got a dog from a dishonest rescue that is a total nightmare. We really really hope that my grandpa survives that dog for many reasons!

Well, when I got there and saw the 14 year old, I didn't take her. She was pretty frail and my male cat, Leon, is very boisterous and in your face. I was pretty sure it wouldn't be a good match.

However, they then proceeded to show me a 12 year old female. She's plain, she's old, and she's on the heavy side. In other words, a hard to place kitty all around. She is, however, a calm and secure lady who is likely to give Leon a good swat and tell hem to go bother someone else. So, I did say yes to her. She has to stay a couple of days, to get her teeth cleaned, but I'll be bringing her home on Wednesday.,
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    All the shelter ads that say the owner died make so sad; they're always the pets I want to go get....
    Me too!

My current old lady cat wouldn't have it. She has put up with a lot and earned her time as An Only Cat.

I imagine these "companion to the end" cats as being Only Cats. It would suck to have just one at a time. Maybe I could have a whole bunch who just chilled and left one another alone. Not enough hours in the day to give them each the illusion that the were the Only One.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

All I have to say that is to become a crazy cat lady, you have to have numbers in the double digits...*cough cough* speaking from experience LOL!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Welcome to Krazy Kat Lady world!! I have 6 in the house and 2 in the barn. We actually have one named "Thumbs" for obvious reasons. He was a good sam cat I brought home from one of my internships and told my DH after I brought him home!

My aunt and uncle LOVED cats. They had no children. After he died and she went into a nursing home, I took their incredibly neurotic Burmese. He was nine. He spent the first 6 months hiding from me. He turned into a wonderful lap cat and had previously been scared to death of anyone but aunt and uncle. He lived to be 20.

I am a crazy cat lady and proud of it!! I have 7 cats at home (4 indoor only, 1 indoor/outdoor and 2 barn cats) and I feed 8-10 feral cats at work!
    The last cat I got was a one eyed huge tabby that I bought at Ace Hardware Husband was not amused at the prospect of ANOTHER cat but now is deeply in love with said cat....he even baby talks him

Congrats on your new kitty!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

You guys all make my heart warm, because I'll never have another cat (I am severely allergic, it sucks!), unless I one day have my own barn lol. Pleassseee keep taking in those hard to adopt kitties. My parents cats are 12-ish and I cannot imagine why anyone would dump an old cat!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

One of the reasons that it is so hard to adopt out the old ones is that they can run up huge vet bills. i have spent thousands of dollars on my mothers two old cats, 17 and 20.
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    All I have to say that is to become a crazy cat lady, you have to have numbers in the double digits...*cough cough* speaking from experience LOL!
    Yes, many of these posters are only Crazy Cat Ladies In Training. Speaking from experience here, too. Every one of mine is a stray or rehabbed feral. And those are just the indoor cats.

I have a cat with thumbs. She has 28 toes - six on both fronts and eight on both backs. She also has moles and seems to have very sensitive skin. Have to be careful how I pet her or she'll grumble. She's also halfway crazy and doesn't mind biting, scratching and playing very hard (i.e. will draw blood). I wouldn't change her for the world though. She cracks me up!
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Update - HE's MINE!!!!! I only have to fill out an adoption form and they will call my vet for a reference - have NO doubt both will go well! I have a huge house and plenty (well, sort of) of money. Picking him up a week from this Sunday! His new name (currently called Rocky) will be Booker T. Booker T. Beaudry. (We saw a mini-concert on NPR last weekend with Booker T. Jones, whom I love.) I will give him ALL the time he needs to settle in, even if it is a year. I wish I could post pics, but I can't right now. Will try to give a facebook link if I figure it out. I am SO happy!!!!!!

Congrats! They sure are making you wait long enough, though. That's just mean.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com