The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2013 breeder's cup policy reversal

In a bit of a backslide the breeder's cup board decided to continue to allow salix in all but the 2 year old races. Darley's COO. who was a member of the board has resigned as a reslt of that decision.u

Phooey on those BC knuckleheads.

Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Disappointing but not surprising. They do tend to backslide into business as usual when the threat of government intervention is diminished.
    Is a real shame.
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

More of the back story on the issue and why the BC Board seemingly caved in: ESPN Mar 12, 2013: "Owners consider suit against BC"

Just days before the Breeders' Cup board of directors conducted a vote on Salix use at its 2013 world championships, prominent owners Gary and Mary West threatened litigation against the organization.

In a letter sent to Breeders' Cup, an attorney said the Wests would be joined by other owners in filing a lawsuit if Breeders' Cup moved forward with plans to prohibit race-day Salix (furosemide, a diuretic also commonly called Lasix) at its world championships.
    The Paulick Report has more on the behind the scenes exchanges and also obtained a copy of the threatened legal action from Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP to the Breeders' Cup CEO

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The threatened lawsuit is, IMO, bull hockey. It's a version of the classic SLAP suit. No one is forcing the owners to attempt to run in the Breeder's Cups. There are plenty of tracks that allow Salix/lasix so they can happily run their horses there. It's not as if the Breeder's Cup hadn't given a lengthy period for them to wean their horses off Salix. And if the horse COULDN'T be weaned off Salix, it probably shouldn't be racing at all.

HOWEVER the idea of such a lawsuit having any traction is one more excelllent reason for the feds to step in and regulate racing on a national level.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    More of the back story on the issue and why the BC Board seemingly caved in: ESPN Mar 12, 2013: "Owners consider suit against BC"

The Paulick Report has more on the behind the scenes exchanges and also obtained a copy of the threatened legal action from Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP to the Breeders' Cup CEO
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    The threatened lawsuit is, IMO, bull hockey. It's a version of the classic SLAP suit. No one is forcing the owners to attempt to run in the Breeder's Cups.
    You won't get any disagreement from me on what the letter from the attorney means. Although Gary West is a former Forbes 400 member (likely still worthy of the list but holdings now listed under Foundations, etc) and a few screw you lawsuits is all it takes to impact the lives of the board.

So the board kicks they the proverbial can (lasix/salix ban) down the road for another day's fight and knuckle under from threats.

To piggy back on the idea of broader regulation - (DRF) Mar 12, 2013 "Eight eastern states agree to uniform medication rules"

The participating states are New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, and Massachusetts. Rules in the states regarding medication use currently vary widely. The states have pledged to adopt the rules by the end of 2013 for a universal implementation date of Jan. 1, 2014.