The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Default Prepping stalls for mats

I have heard about everything, and after talking to Linear Rubber decided we would get the quote to have the entire barn concrete and get the mats and runner from Linear. One of my girlfriends who has her own barn thinks I am nuts. She is wondering where the urine will go or what will happen if the horse plays with the water bucket, I am assuming the shavings will soak it up. The mats I'm looking at are nice and will run right against the edges of the stall. Any thoughts anyone has on prepping stalls is appreciated, especially if you have a brilliant thought on keeping the stalls a little lower so that with the mat it is level when the horse steps out.

Why not grade, pack and level the stall area with a sandy gravel base, topped with 4-6 inches of stonedust 1" below the floor level? Then you will have all vorrect level floors to mats, drainage and you will have saved yourself a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabtfarm View Post
    Why not grade, pack and level the stall area with a sandy gravel base, topped with 4-6 inches of stonedust 1" below the floor level? Then you will have all vorrect level floors to mats, drainage and you will have saved yourself a lot of money.
    This is what I did. It works great and I can wash out a stall without flooding the barn. I also did this in the center 4' of my aisle. The mats are inset flush with the concrete on either side, with stone dust underneath.