The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer Hit & Run in Aiken - can't believe it!!!!

My son has been fortunate enough to get a job in Aiken so he & his horse could have the opportunity spend the last 5 there. All was going fairly well until he noticed that someone hit and damaged our trailer. The goose neck is dented and creased and was hit with enough force to move the jack 6" off the block causing the trailer up onto the trailer aid and drive it 3" into the ground.

No attempt was made to contact him, not even a note on the trailer ... zip zero nada!!! They just drove away as if nothing happened. A part of me wants to give them the benefit of the doubt and that they are just clueless idiots that don't know how to back up a trailer rather than jerks who have no conscious. After seeing the pictures and how far it pushed the trailer & the damage it did; there is no way that they didn't know that they hit the trailer! I suspect that their trailer isn't looking very good either. Unfortunately I think the culprits are long gone.

I'm still waiting to hear from our insurance agent, but I have a sinking feeling that we aren't covered ;( But perhaps what is as depressing or maybe even more depressing is the fact that a fellow eventer would not have the character to admit they made a mistake and take responsibility for their actions!!!

So if any of you know anyone who has been in Aiken in the last month (especially from KY) and who has stayed a Bubba's Sandy Hills Farm and their trailer looks like it has backed into something rather high up,do me a favor and make them squirm a little and ask them how they got the trailer damage? Better yet, send me a PM and let me have the pleasure

End of rant. At least the trailer is drivable and they made it to their event today and keeping fingers crossed for a safe trip home tomorrow.

Jackie

Why do you say "especially from KY"? If you know it was someone at Bubba's from KY you should be able to figure it out. Everyone who hauls in signs a dated release, and those that board are known to him.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I'm not down there but my son told me that a group from KY recently left. I think he and Bubba are working on a list of the people who have been there over the last few weeks. The problem is that he discovered it late on Fri, just before his first event and is leaving early tomorrow so there wasn't much opportunity to do anything about it. As I said, I'm just venting and feeling rather helpless being home with my trailer getting dinged more than 600 miles away. I guess I was hoping that maybe I could guilt them into doing the "right" thing.

A lot of people go to Sandy Hills. It'd be hard to narrow it down. I've schooled there myself many times. Are you sure your son didn't accidentally ding it? Not having a specific time frame makes it really hard to allocate who the culprit is. I know a couple of the crowd that go to SH, especially to school, and I can't imagine a single one of them would be unaware of their trailer enough to hit someone else by accident. Not saying it didn't happen as it obviously did, but I can't imagine you'd get answers... I had a hit and run myself in Aiken with my car and no honorable gent ever stepped forward.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

I had a trailer run ours off the road on Old Dibble last year and broke my axle. They didn't even slow down. Sucks.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Another possibility could be feed/hay delivery trucks...or even the UPS man...

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Why do you say "especially from KY"? If you know it was someone at Bubba's from KY you should be able to figure it out. Everyone who hauls in signs a dated release, and those that board are known to him.
    Maybe ask if Bubba could look at the dates on checks he was left...especially if the offender was someone who schools there a lot, they may not have signed a new release if they'd signed one earlier this season...
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

If there is a separate trailer policy, then it should cover property damage if an uninsured motorist hits you. Since you don't know who hit the trailer, the assumption is made that the driver was uninsured. I think my trailer policy costs something like $60 a year. It is well worth having.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Well first I have to say I am glad everyone is OK. When I read the title I was a bit worried about what I was going to read. I was actually hit by a hit and run driver while pulling my horse trailer with my daughter's show pony in it. Totaled the trailer and he left us on the side of the road. Luckily someone saw the accident and chased him down. The driver actually pulled over about a mile from the accident, got out (well actually stumbled out, he was over 2 times the legal limit when they found him) to inspect the damage on his company work truck (Utility/electric truck) Then got back in and went home. Thankfully they got his tag number and caught him, but my daughter, her pony and my life will never be the same. So as inconvenient and rude as the person who hit your truck was, just be thankful your son was driving it with his horse in it. I could be so much worse. Good luck catching the people. Hopefully your insurance company is being helpful
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

The trailer was parked in a field. I believe it was in a long term parking field so to speak and wouldn't have the traffic of those just coming in for the day but I could be wrong. No way of knowing exactly when it was done because the trailer hadn't moved from the parking spot since he arrived 5 weeks ago. So no Beowulf, he didn't accidentally didn't dig it himself. Besides that he learned early in life that it's best to fess up to a mistake than to lie about it

Well I guess we chalk it up to another one of those life lessons but it's still d#$n annoying!

That's certainly not a lesson most people ever learn! And Badger, no way! That's terrible. There are a lot of poor drivers on Old Dibble - I went that way once using my friend's super fancy rig (and her super fancy UL horse and my prelim horse) and was hyperventilating the whole time worried the same would happen!!
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

I do believe your insurance should cover it...both of my trailers have had issues and damage from various things and every time USAA has stepped up and covered us.

So sorry for your damage....

I just heard from our insurance agent and we're covered. Unfortunately we are still out the $250 deductible ;(

Oh goodness Jackie!! I'm glad to hear that Kyle is OK! You might remember the big dent in my red truck. That was put there at a horse show, when a woman backed into our truck with her big rig she couldn't drive. She saw she hit it and immediately left the show grounds. Wow, we were angry! But luckily our insurance paid to get it fixed.

It makes me so frustrated that people own these HUGE rigs that they obviously can't drive or handle. Some of these things are so big I'm surprised you don't need a CDL to drive them!

It's a really good warning to get over to inspect your parked trailer regularly no matter where you keep it. Make a habit of a regular walkaround! And one should ALWAYS do a walkaround before hauling. I do. Had too many flats!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com