The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lease questions

We are considering looking for a horse to lease for my daughter to take her C3 and to move up to Prelim this year (and, if successful, continuing next year, her last before college). How much can we expect to pay for a lease? Is there a general rule? Also, how do we start looking? Thank you for any advice!

Leases are primarily found by word of mouth and lease fees are variable. I am currently leasing out an older CCI* horse of mine who is taking his new rider BN/N and maybe T this year. A reasonable fee for this type of situation is $250-400/month IMO.

For the upper levels, leases vary from approx $500 per month to over $1000 per month. In the H/J world the "general rule" is that a yearly lease is approx 1/3 the sale value of the horse.

Insurance, vet work, maintenance etc. are usually additional.

I would start by asking your daughter's trainer if she is aware of any suitable horses or whether she can ask around for you. Or if you are trainer-less you could start by calling the good trainers in your area to ask whether they know of anything. If you are willing to keep the horse in their program on training board there will be a lot more possible horses available to you.

Good Luck!

Lots of word of mouth is the way eventing leases seem to happen. Trainers can sometimes help to network. If you're seriously looking, you can PM me--I may know of one available.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Lots of word of mouth is the way eventing leases seem to happen. Trainers can sometimes help to network. If you're seriously looking, you can PM me--I may know of one available.
    PM sent!

We are in the same boat. We are still in the hunt for a lease horse for my son to take his C3 on this summer and to move up to Prelim. He tried a horse out this weekend but it turned out the horse would be more of a project then we are looking for. He has a couple more to try in the next couple of weeks. Good luck with your search.

Word of mouth. My intermediate horse was leased this way, just mentioned he was for lease to a couple people and one of them had a student who needed a horse like him.

There is one on the pony club website right now, ponyclub.org

Mitch- 16 hand TB, evented thru Prelim.

But yes, agree, these types are very much found thru word of mouth.