The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Interim Tounge Solutions

So my new guy has some anxiety about work - manifesting in him twisting his tounge under the bit and sticking the upside-down tounge out the corner of his mouth.

Now in the long run, I hope that when his anxiety about work goes away (ie he figures out we aren't going back to the races) and he gets connected, the tounge will go away. The last tounge sticker outter I had stopped once he was through.

But in the interim, has anyone had any luck using a low ported mullen mouth on these guys, the idea being more tounge relief? I understand that this is a symptom, but would not like it to become an ingrained habit.

He's quite polite about me looking in there, and there isn't a lot of room in his mouth, I have him in a Nathe with a very loose caveson. His tounge does fit fine in there with the bit, every time I halt him - still lunging- I push the tounge back in. He's very sweet actually.

TIA

TTouch mouth work is very helpful for this sort of thing. There is info about this in Linda Tellington-Jones' book, "The Ultimate Horse Behavior and Training Book." I think also in her TTouch for Dressage video.

www.ttouch.com

Otherwise you would have to just try different bits.

Might not have to go to a port, but could try a three-piece/double jointed snaffle instead of the straight bar to relieve some of the tongue pressure. I used to ride one that was like that and he actually did better in a fixed ring (eggbutt or full cheek) that he could "play with" less than a loose ring.

If he's not working his jaw a lot and wouldn't fight it, you could also just try a (properly fitted, not too tight) flash and see if keeping his mouth closed is enough to deter him from sticking the tongue out.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    TTouch mouth work is very helpful for this sort of thing. There is info about this in Linda Tellington-Jones' book, "The Ultimate Horse Behavior and Training Book." I think also in her TTouch for Dressage video.

www.ttouch.com

Otherwise you would have to just try different bits.
    Interesting - I'll look in to that. Yeah, this isn't really a bit issue, but before I went out and got a low port mullen ro try I figured I'd ask if anyone has found them to be helpful in this situation.

I think a ported mullen is certainly worth a shot.

I've also found horse with tongue tension issues to like a boucher...maybe there is less pressure on the tongue, since it hangs? May be worth a go if you can try one.

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    If he's not working his jaw a lot and wouldn't fight it, you could also just try a (properly fitted, not too tight) flash and see if keeping his mouth closed is enough to deter him from sticking the tongue out.
    Yeah, I'm most likely going to do that once he's going a bit more, he's seriously sensitive and reactive, and I'm going really slooww LOL. Just lunging and mounting and circling in the stall. Will probably ride in the ring next week.

Not really fussy with his jaw, occasionally will open it and roll the tounge, but mostly closed with tounge out. I have a 3 piece fixed cheek I can try on him. Thanks for the suggestion!

In the beginning with very green horses I just ignore tongue stuff. Often it resolves itself with time.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    In the beginning with very green horses I just ignore tongue stuff. Often it resolves itself with time.
    Ditto here. I also ignore grinding of teeth. that too goes away as soon as the job at hand is understood and begins to come easily.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Ditto here. I also ignore grinding of teeth.
    I usually say "F you too honey." Though mine does it is I tack up during feeding time...

The Myler MB33 is great for horses that need tongue relief. Another option is to go bitless.