The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good to know, thanks.
    "A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service." Plutarch

Just ordered, hope it is good. Said it would be here between this Sat and Monday?? WOW, that is fast.

Actually, just ordered the petite XL. I will get back to you soon.

What about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230928288281...84.m1423.l2649

I can't figure out the whole "rating system" but I would like one that is as safe as possible for my daughter and one that would be approved if the US decides that we need to be up to international standards.

"DYNAMIC body protective vest has been manufactured using state-of-the- art technology to give you a flexible and lighter feeling! It has been examined by SATRA Technology Centre UK and certified to meet or exceed EN13158-2009 Level 3. (Standard specification for body protector used in horse sports and horseback riding)"
    Does this mean that it would be approved in England or Europe?
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of anyone suffering a puncture injury falling off over jumps?

Just curious...

Jennifer
    When I did my research a couple years ago, there was one on record - a rusty nail on the course that ended up in the rider's body (non fatal), don't recall what vest if any was in use (though don't believe it was a Tipp): I had to really dig to find this information & did not bookmark ...

Tipp Eventer does not get the rating due to the style, but the protective foam they use & vest design does ...

Interesting that this vest is advertised as

Horse Riding Safety Equestrian Tipperary Eventing Protective Protection Vests
    I suppose changed just enough that it would be difficult to win a law suit ...

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I have one and I'm very happy with it. It stunk like crazy when it first arrived (chemical smell) but the shipping (from China) was actually very quick (like less than a week) and the quality seems quite nice.
    those poor workers stuck in the manufacturing plant

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of anyone suffering a puncture injury falling off over jumps?
    I did. It was long before vests existed, so I was obviously not wearing one. I was punctured in the chest by a rusty nail, then sliced open as I slid down the jump. I still have a scar, and have been asked by more than one doctor if I had open heart surgery.

I have been looking at these vests too, will be curious to see what everybody thinks of theirs. I just want to play around in baby beginner/beginner novice level and don't want to spend $200+ for a vest.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

So looking at pictures of the Tipperary and this one side-by-side, it looks like maybe the spine of this one is a single panel, whereas the Tipperary is made up of several panels. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Will look at mine when I go to the barn in the morning. It's still in the trailer. I do believe there is a single long narrow cushion over the spine, but will confirm tomorrow.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

I have the first one posted. I bought 2 one for me one for the kids. They seem to run a little small, and I'm short enough to have needed a custom length, but I LOVE them. Several falls in now and not a scratch on them or the wearers. My trainer thought they were actual tipp vests.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

It is actually three panels on the spine. One very long one at the bottom and two shorter ones at the shoulders/top. You can't see from the outside but if you look at the inside you can see where the foam divides.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Default I GOT MY VEST!!

My vest came, and I really like it.

First, let me describe my build - I'm 5'1, short-waisted, and most of my big is in my stomach. So I followed the sizing directions and ordered an XL Petite.

Here are pictures - I am still in jammies and did not tighten the laces at all - but I am VERY pleased with the fit! I think it might not even be too long in the back. If it is I bet my mom can fix it!

Really glad I got it - very comfy, and just HAS to be cooler in warm weather than my Airowear Outlyne. I love the Outlyne for comfort, but in the heat I've had some bad and heat-crampy times.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...30577497_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...77568173_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...39870198_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...28442269_n.jpg

Good luck! The site I bought from is on the initial post, and they did have petites.