The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sedation to clip day before show?

My yearling is showing Wednesday. She has decided that the clippers will go nowhere near her feet. So someone suggested I sedate her at the vet with Dormosedan and clip her there for this show and then work with the clipper training after the show. So will sedation the day before the show be out of her system and undetectable to drug testing?
    Thanks!!

7 day withdrawl for dorm.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    7 day withdrawl for dorm.
    ?

2 days detection time for IV detomidine, per the FEI. I believe the gel is longer.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    ?

2 days detection time for IV detomidine, per the FEI. I believe the gel is longer.
    The detection time is 2 days. The withdraw time is usually 7 days.

No, withdrawal time is a case-by-case decision made by the treating vet.

Equi-Sport Services

I would either twitch or just leave the legs hairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

1 members found this post helpful.

No, withdrawal time is a case-by-case decision made by the treating vet.
    Yes, which is usually 7 days.

Or as little as three. Or two. Depends on the vet.

Equi-Sport Services

Or as little as three. Or two. Depends on the vet.
    Sure.......

All I'm saying is, I've known horses sedated up to 48h before FEI events and none have tested. Does that mean I would be comfortable sedating a horse 48h before an event? Not necessarily. But the OP's vet might. Theoretically, if she sedated first thing tomorrow morning and didn't show until Wednesday afternoon, she could be ok. Not a risk she'd probably want to take, but still a theoretical possibility. A blanket "7 day withdrawal time for dorm" isn't written in stone somewhere the way you make it out to be. In fact, the most recent recommendation (again, not set in stone somewhere) in the literature I've seen, for the dorm gel, withdrawal is 3 days (for urine, I think serum is only 2).

Equi-Sport Services

All I'm saying is, I've known horses sedated up to 48h before FEI events and none have tested. Does that mean I would be comfortable sedating a horse 48h before an event? Not necessarily. But the OP's vet might. Theoretically, if she sedated first thing tomorrow morning and didn't show until Wednesday afternoon, she could be ok. Not a risk she'd probably want to take, but still a theoretical possibility. A blanket "7 day withdrawal time for dorm" isn't written in stone somewhere the way you make it out to be. In fact, the most recent recommendation (again, not set in stone somewhere) in the literature I've seen, for the dorm gel, withdrawal is 3 days (for urine, I think serum is only 2).
    Sure....I think everyone can read what withdrawl time means.

Thanks for info! Not worth the risk for sure. I'll just get what I can and try a twitch! Thanks again for the quick responses! Any tips for getting them used to clippers other than practice??

More practice. Ear plugs. Dormosedan. My mare is scared of the cord/extension cable, so I practiced with a smaller/cheaper cordless clipper.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    More practice. Ear plugs. Dormosedan. My mare is scared of the cord/extension cable, so I practiced with a smaller/cheaper cordless clipper.
    This, also don't tie them up. Let them be somewhat loose in a stall while you approach them.

Most green beans I've worked with seem to settle down around the clippers eventually just by repetition. For the ones that really give them the hairy eyeball, I've used cheap electric toothbrushes before. Turn one on and stick it in your pocket whenever you're working around them (just grooming, feeding, walking to t/o, etc) so they get used to the noise. They're quieter than real clippers and horses that are really freaked out by the clippers seem to mind the toothbrush less.

Equi-Sport Services

Faybe, you are misunderstsnding "withdrawal Time". Withdrawal time is set in the rules as the number of days the horse must withdraw from competition after the drug is given for non theraputic purposes (and usef specifically states sedation for clipping requires 7 days). Its about following the rules even when it wont test. There is a difference between "can I get away with it?" And "am I following the rules?"

In the OPs case, she might get away with it (detection time), but she would be cheating according to the rules (withdrawal time). The vet's opinion does not matter because the rules already define clipping as not theraputic (doesnt mean the vet wont happily provide the drugs).

OP, just use sissors for this go

2 members found this post helpful.

I had a gelding who was horrible to clip...rip the barn down horrible. I made it my main goal in life to overcome it, so every single time I saw him, at some point in the session, I would run the clippers, with cut up carrots in my pocket. When he would put up with them near him, he'd get a carrot slice. Then I'd put the clippers away. It was maybe 20 seconds, no pressure, reward, do something else. I gradually was able to rest the clippers on my hand resting on his neck, then we progressed from there, always in very short doses, always with a treat.

It took months but by the time we were done he would stand ground tied, licking and chewing when he saw me bring the clippers. It really helped that he was completely food motivated. But I could clip him anywhere without a fuss.

2 members found this post helpful.

I was able to twitch her and get her head, ears, throatlatch etc. But her feet were definitely a no-go. She completely freaked out when I tried. So I showed her with hairy legs. Oh well! Now I have something to work on!!

If it's a yearling showing then FEI regulations are not relevant.
    More likely to be Hunter Breeding or DHSB breeding which operate under USEF rules.

The withdrawal time is:
    "shorter-acting tranquilizers and sedatives, e.g.,
    acepromazine, detomidine, and xylazine.................................. 7 days"

Makes no difference what your vet says and it does NOT depend on the vet.

Of course the show in question could be totally unrated. In that case all bets are off.
    Fan of Sea Accounts