The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

OH my. I got a 24k check for my 8k gelding from these freaks. I called the bank and they had the FBI call me. I gave them all the info and they said last they tracked the person he was in Canada doing the scams (he is from Nigeria) I bet there is way more than just one person too.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    OH my. I got a 24k check for my 8k gelding from these freaks. I called the bank and they had the FBI call me. I gave them all the info and they said last they tracked the person he was in Canada doing the scams (he is from Nigeria) I bet there is way more than just one person too.
    Nigeria. . .color me surprised.

I have this image of Nigerian internet cafes full of con men sending out these mass e-mails.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    There used to be a lady who would spar with the respondee's and her exploits were hilarious to read.
    That would be http://www.419eater.com/

There was a $500.00 Friesian advertised about 30 miles from my house. Tried to set up a time to look at him and all of the sudden the horse did a "teleportation" across the country to OR. And they could him ship on a train, airplane or commercial carrier for $2500.00. But wait...I could have him in 3 days! Just send the cash. If my computer didn't decide to deep six, there were funny responses.

FWIW, I don't need a big black hairy horse (I can buy one down the road a lot cheaper).

Yes, I knew it was a scam and I was bored. Once I e-mailed that my Uncle lived in OR, had access to a barn and had the cash to pick up "said" horse. Well, the negotiations went South in a hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    There's enough room for trouble if your eyes are open. But they obviously find suckers or they wouldn't have schools that teach scammers how to scam.
    I have read that Nigeria doesn't want to crack down on these clowns. They bring in too much money and really help the county's GNP (or whatever it's called).
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    That is just so sad.
    Why? You don't believe it's real, do you?

I received a lot of similar emails responding to a saddle-for-sale ad I placed ONLY on my hunt club's website, not on ebay or craigslist or anything. What I do now is take the scammer's email, and enter it at gap.com to receive email alerts and promotions for EVERY department (men, women, girls, boys, maternity, toddlers, infants, outerwear, accessories, fitness, shoes etc etc etc) at EVERY store owned by Gap (Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, a couple of others).

This probably doesn't really accomplish much, but it does make me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    I received a lot of similar emails responding to a saddle-for-sale ad I placed ONLY on my hunt club's website, not on ebay or craigslist or anything. What I do now is take the scammer's email, and enter it at gap.com to receive email alerts and promotions for EVERY department (men, women, girls, boys, maternity, toddlers, infants, outerwear, accessories, fitness, shoes etc etc etc) at EVERY store owned by Gap (Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, a couple of others).

This probably doesn't really accomplish much, but it does make me feel better.
    Great idea. I think I'm going to do that with someone who responded to my craigslist ad. She's been driving me crazy for days. When I finally agreed to her price knock down, and agreed where to meet her to deliver the stuff, she's disappeared. What a surprise
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Heads up, folks. The same scam is now started via text message. That's true even if in your CL ad, you spell out some of the digits in the phone number... in order to thwart spammers.

Someone did this to me via a saddle. They went AWOL when I said it was a cash/in person deal.

Sadly, every last real person I have sold stuff to on CL has been great-- friendly, ready to pay what we discussed, and carried no machetes!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

There's also a fanciful version for rental housing. This reply features a mid 20's woman (I've had the French and German versions) who are moving to the area to attend grad school and want to rent sight-unseen. Of course she is on Guam where there apparently there is no telephone service (funny, I've had business reasons to call Guam and aside from the time difference, it was very easy). Her dad will send me a cashier's check.

My response is to forward on of the other lady from Guam's email and suggest they become room mates! I never hear back.....do you think it is because they don't want to share?
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I had the same response about a friesian mare. Suddenly the horse went from ohio to colorado and to boston in a 2 day span. I asked for an address to send the check so I could stop by to see the horse and it was a factory not even a home. I requested to pick up the horse and they would only ship through their person, not to my surprise. Don't message these people or give them your phone number. My email was hacked, craigslist account hacked, and they wouldnt stop calling or texting. I ended up reporting them to the police for harrassing me about giving them money to get the horse. I haven't had any problems for a couple months now.

Oh, any cheap or free Friesian ad is bogus. At times I see about ten ads in one day on equine.com in the free section. I hardly pay attention to any ad that is not paid for. If you really want to sell a horse, cough up the 20 or so bucks to pay for an ad or I will not call you. Too many scammers.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde