The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Craig's list scam.

I saw an ad for a horse and e'mailed them. This was the reply <g>.

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in my horse and I am so glad you emailed me back . I want you to know that I and my family (my wife And 3 kids are on a missionary trip to West Africa) along with the HORSE.

So later on we notice that the weather here In Africa is very very bad for the horse to sustain here with us on the missionary trip. So my wife and I decided to put the advert in Craigslist that we are Looking for someone to adopt our HORSE to the state back.

I am very glad that you are willing to take care of Filly and provide Filly a good and wonderful home. And we're visiting 5 countries.

We are giving these horse out for adoption and we owe you many thanks for caring and asking about Filly. Right now there are so many factors and the weather is too hot for them and we don't want Filly to suffer in anyway. We have been praying to have someone who can take good care of Filly and give Filly all the love in the world.

That's all we want. We're due for more travel to some remote part of West Africa and we Cannot risk taking it along as we know it will have adverse effect on it, health wise. ; please let us know when you receive it. Can you tell us a little bit more about you?

its a lovely horse will come along with all necessary health Paper work and Sex: Filly

Color: Bay
    Breed: Arabian
    height: 14.2
    DISCIPLINES ARE
    Western Pleasure (Prospect)
    Hunter (Prospect)
    Eventing (Trained)
    Jumper (Trained)
    Dressage (Prospect).
    We are going to ship to you via a Diplomatic Courier Service Company with Express Delivery on next day delivery, if You are really interested in having my little horse, I want you to Get back to me with the below information of yours.

Your Full Name:

You Mailing Address:

Your Tel #:

Your Cell Phone #:

The Nearest Airport to You:

Provide me with the above details of yours to proceed in the shipment of the HORSE to you, they are priceless to us,therefore we are Giving for free, so I will like you to get back to me with your Full name and full address including your nearest airport so that I Can find out shipping cost. Please, note that we shall both split and Pay the shipment fee to get the HORSE to you as we are not sure of The shipment cost and we don’t have big money here yet as we are on a Missionary mission and we have to limit our spending for now and, not Until we get paid. Thanks again for your love and care for our adorable HORSE! We will Be looking forward to your response.

Thank you and Remain Bless

Rev.van Kingsley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To: van.kinsley@yahoo.com
    Sent: Saturday, March 2, 2013 1:03 PM
    Subject: Horse

Do you still have the horse? If so, what breed, age, gender is it?If so, I have a friend that might be interested in it, she has vet and farrier references.

1 members found this post helpful.

Missionaries usually don't have money for horses!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Arabian jumpers are very rare! You should snap her up while you have the chance!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Arabian jumpers are very rare! You should snap her up while you have the chance!

I think I will pass <g>. I have a feeling my cat jumps better,
    Last edited by regret; Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

2 members found this post helpful.

I recently saw a CL ad that seemed like a creepy old man fishing for young girls to ride and learn about horses for free, but didn't say where or what kind of horses, barn name, any experience ok, even no experience was fine, they would teach the trainee everything.

Well, I flagged it but may look for a similar ad - they wanted phone calls only, no emails. Lots of scams and creepers out there.

Default The latest e-mail

Dearest ,

Thanks so much for the email and also the love you are showing in getting and caring for my horse. Am also happy my horse finally got a home with you, i will really appreciate it if you could please promise me you will take care of Filly,please keep to that promise.Also let me know if you will be able to send me pictures of Filly monthly to me here.

I have just got off the phone with the shipping company and i was told that the shipping cost of Filly to your nearest airport will be US$2,500 and i think you know that we will both be responsible for the payment as agreed. So i will be heading to their office now to pay my part which is US$1,500 so you will balance up with the instruction below today.

So let me know if you will be able to come up with the US$1,000 on your part so the horse can leave for delivery today due to the bad weather if we can make the payments today .

The shipment will be heading to your next Airport or home Address as provided by you and you will be emailed a code and instructions you will be needing for the release of the horse truck if the payment is gotten today.

The shipping company told me they can still ship out the horse tonight or First thing tomorrow morning, if they can receive the balance payment from you today . And you'll be receiving Filly in the next-day delivery period.

So kindly get back to me as soon as possible if you can come up with your part payment today, So i can forward you the shipper in-charge transfer information were you will be making the balance payment of US$1,000 to via Western Union money transfer or Money Grams from the nearest GROCERY store around you so the horse can be shipped out today .

God bless you and your family for saving my babies

Regards.

Await Your Response,

Rev . Anthony

That is just so sad.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

The sad thing is that there are people stupid enough to fall for these scams

I am rolling on the floor.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Dearest,

tell him Filly is destined to become delicious, delicious steak. Ask him if he wishes to receive a picture of this most noble meal

4 members found this post helpful.

^^Or say that you are using it as a burnt offering and quote some stuff from the O.T.
    (I feel terrible to even suggest that but I'm curious what he would say)

Sadly, NOT a new scam!!

And anything you post for sale on line is fair game to be picked up by these guys.
    Presumably, the pickings make them worth trying.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Tell him that he is responsible for all expenses while the horse is in quarantine and that you'll need to have that money in advance. Then tell him it will cost $5000.00 but he should be willing to pay that because if he keeps the horse and wants to bring it back to the US, that's what it will cost him anyway.....

Tell him-

Dear Reverend,

What an AMAZING coincidence! I just found out I am receiving several million dollars from a person in Africa that inherited it from his father's estate, and needed help getting it out of the country. It's such a coincidence that you are there too! Maybe you could pick it up from the gentleman I'm corresponding with, and put it in the shipment with the horse. Of course, you can take your share of the shipping fee from that.

Or if that isn't possible (I know Africa is BIG)then I can send you a cashier's check that is twice as much as you quoted, and if you could just send me a check for the difference and you can keep 500.00 extra for the inconvenience, that would be fine.

Or if you can give me your bank name, routing number, checking acct #, mother's maiden name, social security # and DOB, I will wire funds directly into your acct.

I can't wait to meet the filly!

Sincerely,
    "X"

21 members found this post helpful.

It sounds like he's going to stuff Filly into a FedEx envelope for next day delivery.
    You are what you dare.

Yes, people do fall for this. The family who bought my hubby's old place (before we met), the mom fell for this. She took the check to the bank, which then proceeded to CASH it! The teller lost her job and the family ended up declaring bankruptcy due to all the things they bought, had to return, pay for out of pocket and I don't know what else. The stress was so much, the father ended up having a heart attack. So, there you have a widow and small kids left.

There used to be a lady who would spar with the respondee's and her exploits were hilarious to read.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Maybe the $2500 would be worth it if this Arabian jumper/eventer/western pleasure horse was also gaited.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I think you need to be a guy, though, because she comes "with all necessary health Paper work and Sex".

(yes, I know that's a bit out of context, but couldn't help it)
    I firmly believe that the term "Come here, you little piece of shit" was coined by a horse person chasing an errant poop ball around a stall.

Yeah, like missionaries would take a horse to Africa, or have the money to do it! And a mare ships for only $2500 when it's about 3 times that (excluding quarantine) to ship from Europe. And for some reason she fits into a FedEx envelope the day later when normally they require testing! Well. There's an "A" for creativity, but the scammers haven't done their homework.

Must say, I was shopping at a little tack shop awhile back. These two ladies were taking a large phone order on a credit card and arranging shipment to Nigeria. Hope they took my advice and called the credit card company.

There's enough room for trouble if your eyes are open. But they obviously find suckers or they wouldn't have schools that teach scammers how to scam.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!