The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SPIRULINA..........Best Place to Buy??

My wife and I are fairly new horse owners (3 years) and have been reading COTH for a year or so. I can generally find what I need to know by reading previous threads, but haven't been able to find a good source of Spirulina. We have one "guy" who has allergies (been tested) and we've tried lots of products and supplements but we haven't tried adding spirulina to his diet.

Does anyone have a good source for quality Spirulina at a 'reasonable" price.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Why do you want to feed spirulina ?

Herbalcom.com (yes, it is spelled that way).

Are the allergies pollen related? If so you might want to try Lysine. That works beautifully on my pollen affected mare. Completely headshake free. Spirulina, unfortunately, not so much. I no longer use it.

2 members found this post helpful.

I second herbalcom.com
    friend of bar.ka

1 members found this post helpful.

Springtime Inc. is a good company and they usually have buy 2 get one free specials. Their spirulina is in a "wafer" form, though, and with some horses you have to break them up and start with a few until your horse gets used to the taste. You can get powdered spirulina from Amazon for a very reasonable price, and it's quite easy to mix in with wet feed. I've used both forms successfully.

My horses allergies are primarily insect related.....some foods, but I can control that better than I can the insects. I think his immune system gets so taxed in the summer due to allergies, insect bites etc that it can't handle everything. Right in the middle of last summer he had an outbreak of onchicerca that lasted for months before my vet finally figured out what was happeneing, and I found the thread on this Forum.

It sounds like Spirulina would help "pump up" his immune system to help him through the summer months.

Thanks for the places to check out. I have used Springtime before for Garlic and will see what they sell for Spirulina.

Mike

Speaking from experience, don't buy too much! I got spirulina from Springtime for my allergy horse and could never get him to eat it. And he wasn't terribly picky, but that stuff has some nasty odor and he wouldn't go near it, no matter how masked it was. I'd taken advantage of one of their deals to buy a whole mess of it...and had to give it away! So i'd do a taste test first -- well, have your horse taste test it, I mean.

I feed my insect allergy guy Spirulina, chondroitit and Lysine from "my best horse". Free shipping woth orders over $50.

I buy mine from HorseTech. I have it mixed 50/50 with flax to weigh it down (spirulina is extremely light and the powder ends up everywhere). I forget the custom product number, but if you call they can certainly help you.
    This worked better for me than the Springtime wafers, which were a bit of a pain to break up (he had to eat 10 a day, and wouldn't touch them whole), although they did work.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

how much lysine do you feed per day? Have fed the spiruluna and did not have great success with it....would like to try anything that would work....thanks in advance!

I usually purchase Spirulina from Horsetech. They are awesome! We feed just a little to each of the horses in with their grain. I have never had a problem with them eating it...it also makes their coats shiny

My vet had a client whose dog had severe cancer, nearly terminal. They started feeding him spirulina and the tumor was gone in 6 months, and the dog has since been cancer free for nearly 2 years. There are amazing studies on the benefits of spirulina as an antioxident in humans and in animals. I used to purchase spirulina power at the health-food store.

OP-have you tried Buggzo for your horse? I had some good luck with Buggzo in preventing tick bites.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I buy mine from HorseTech. I have it mixed 50/50 with flax to weigh it down (spirulina is extremely light and the powder ends up everywhere). I forget the custom product number, but if you call they can certainly help you.
    This worked better for me than the Springtime wafers, which were a bit of a pain to break up (he had to eat 10 a day, and wouldn't touch them whole), although they did work.
    I never thought of doing this! I might have to try it mixed with flax next time!
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

I'm jump on the band wagon and recommend herbalcom.com. Very affordable. I order a 6 month supply and store the un-opened packages in my barn refrigerator.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I ordered a couple pounds from Herbalcom this week. Now we'll see if my "boys" will eat it. They generally eat anything I mix in the beet pulp, but from what I have read about spirulina, it may be a hard sell.

I'll start off with a small amount and work up, just like everything else.

Mike

It does have a bit of a "fishy" taste, but as long as you start with a small amount you should be fine. You don't even need to feed a huge amount; I believe 2 tablespoons a day is the recommended amount for horses. And mixing it in with soaked beep should help as well. Your horses' coats start to glow pretty soon after you start feeding it. It's such a great supplement (actually one of the "superfoods").

1 members found this post helpful.