The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to buy US Cavalry riding breeches?

Is there anywhere that sells US Cavalry riding pants? I have googled and googled with no results. Here's a picture of what I'm looking for:
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...11926183_n.jpg

Thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.

Unfortunately they need to have the gold stripe on the sides, not red, which is why it's proving to be a difficult task.

Wait for kambic--he'll probably know.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

A link to Gold Trouser Braid...

http://emblem.legion.org/Trouser-Bra...nfo/805%2E301/

You may have to add the gold braid to navy blue riding trousers.

Are you an Honor Guard for the American Legion by chance?

Try Peter Jay & Co. in New York. http://www.peterjay.com/

You might also try calling the Caisson Platoon HQ at Arlington and see where they get their breeches.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

No, I'm shopping for my boyfriend who is in a Cavalry unit and wants to show in his uniform. He's got to check with the people above him to makes sure it's okay since apparently riding boots and riding pants are no longer part of the Cav uniform. He's currently just wanting to see what's available. Dehner makes a nice cavalry boot so hes got that part covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Effie1221 View Post
    Are you an Honor Guard for the American Legion by chance?

They aren't "US Cavalry" but these are the ones I ride in with my dark navy blue dress uniform -- you can choose what colour stripes you need. Ours are very very dark navy with red stripe. I can pm you a pic of me in my dress uniform if you like.

http://www.police-equipment-worldwid...-breeches.html

Edited to add: I just had a closer look at the pic you posted, and it seems the breeches you want are lighter than the dark navy ones I posted (I also sent you an e-mail with pics of the dark navy ones I wear). Looks like you might do better with this one (from the same supplier):

http://www.police-equipment-worldwid...3-spandex.html

they come in various colours of blue which they list as: Navy Blue, Airforce Blue,
    & French Blue. They'll probably send you colour swatches. Even though they don't list red stripes, if you select the breeches colour and then do the stripe drop down, you can get red.
    Last edited by NorthwoodsRider; Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Ok. The reason I ask is because the Legion will usually sponsor some or all of your uniform.

There are so many Veterans passing away these years and their families request an Honor Guard to present a flag, bugle, or gun salute graveside. When active military is booked, the American Legion steps in for this service.

So, please (COTHers), donate $ or buy a BBQ Plate, Fish Fry, Bingo, etc. to help buy uniforms to your local American Legion so they can pay Military Honors to your family members graveside when the active Honor Guards are booked, which is often the case.

Many widows & family members are simply mailed a flag by our government, but the Legion makes the graveside so much more special as you can imagine.

3 members found this post helpful.

Found this description on an old ebay listing;

http://worthopedia.s3.amazonaws.com/...ede9f40e24.jpg
    These are part of a surplus lot from the Military District of Washington, the Old Guard. They are marked 33 Long. They were made by the Peter Jay Company in December, 2003. This is pair number 1496. The label comments are "Ft. Myer" and "1 1/2" Army goldenlite". This pair of pants has seen very little use. They are in very good condition.The inseam measures 27" and the outseam measures 39". These measurements are approximate. (It's tough to get measurements on stretch material.)
    These pants are used by a very limited number of soldiers.If you are a collector of US Army uniforms, you need these. If you just need a well made pair of riding breeches, these are for you. They are dry cleaned before shipping and are ready to wear when you get them .
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I heard about all branches of the military having a riding uniform that was approved because there was once a dressage competition between them. I never actually got to see it, but that would have been cool. I am a USN veteran, so I want to know what they wore.

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/

They make reproduction cavalry uniforms.

Guilherme is right - you could just call the unit at Arlington and ask. But if WPG doesn't have it perhaps a similar company does - an internet search would probably give you a few results.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by dqv932 View Post
    No, I'm shopping for my boyfriend who is in a Cavalry unit and wants to show in his uniform. He's got to check with the people above him to makes sure it's okay since apparently riding boots and riding pants are no longer part of the Cav uniform. He's currently just wanting to see what's available. Dehner makes a nice cavalry boot so hes got that part covered.
    I know two Active Duty Army types who have participated at the National Cavalry Competition have had breeches made by Peter Jay out of the official fabrics the Army has specified. Note the pair offered for surplus is from Peter Jay. They are likely the official supplier for the Caisson Platoon.

They will not be cheap but they will meet the specification set forth in Army Uniform Regulations.

Does your boyfriend know about the National Cavalry Competition? If not go to http://www.uscavalry.org/ and click on Event/Current Events.

This year's competition will be held at Colorado Springs, CO and our hosts are the Mounted Unit from Ft. Carson (a good bunch of guys and gals). Dates are 25-28 SEP 13.

I'm a member of the Board of Directors of the CavAssn and if you have any questions you can ask them here or PM me.

G.

G, does that mean that USN vets have a uniform of sorts that they wear to the competition? Or is it only for active duty?

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I heard about all branches of the military having a riding uniform that was approved because there was once a dressage competition between them. I never actually got to see it, but that would have been cool. I am a USN veteran, so I want to know what they wore.
    The Navy in its history has had one, official riding uniform: a riding habit for nurses, 1917-1919. I've done diligent research and that's all I've found.

But, be of good cheer. In the Sea Services we are very adaptive. We also believe in the principle that "it's always easier to get forgiveness than permission." So, decide on the presentation you wish to make, pick a historic period (or the modern period), and make reasonable modifications.

Here is a photo of my wife and myself at a competition in Cheyenne, WY:

http://s784.beta.photobucket.com/use...ml?sort=3&o=12

Mounted Pistol:

http://s784.beta.photobucket.com/use...ml?sort=3&o=10

Mounted Saber:

http://s784.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=9

Military Horsemanship:

http://s784.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=3

If you PM me I'll explain all the mods we've made.

Mike Matson is also a Navy vet (retired CDR if memory serves) and has done a somewhat different set of mods. They are more in line with a Dressage presentation as that's a primary interest of his. If you PM him I'm sure he'll help you out; he's a good guy!

The changes are really low cost unless you want to get into re-tailoring of uniforms. That's really not required.

You, too, should be at the National Cavalry Competition. Maybe we can get up a Sea Services Major Howze team!!!

G.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    http://www.whatpriceglory.com/

They make reproduction cavalry uniforms.

Guilherme is right - you could just call the unit at Arlington and ask. But if WPG doesn't have it perhaps a similar company does - an internet search would probably give you a few results.
    Sadly WPG does not make any modern dress uniform pieces. Most of what they make is for field service. It's of good quality and reasonably priced, however.

For modern dress uniforms Peter Jay is the "go to" place. The police uniform places mentioned mostly produce for specific departments, or at least common patterns, none of which are compatible with current Service Regulations for anybody (at least that was the case as of two years ago when I helped some guys look for modern uniform breeches).

The market, here, is pretty small. So is the list of people serving it.

Thanks for reminding me of WPG, though.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Thanks for reminding me of WPG, though.

G.
    These threads always remind me that I need to order some wool breeches from them. It's difficult to find the flared britches these days and I prefer them for foxhunting. A friend has a pair of the wool elastique and loves them. I haven't seen anyone wearing the cotton britches. I'd be interested in those for cubbing since it can be pretty warm. Do you know if they are good quality?

Note to the COTH readership - it is 100% appropriate and customary for a servicemember to hunt in his/her mounted uniform. So, come foxhunting!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by dqv932 View Post
    Is he reenacting or preparing for a regular, modern horse show??? If it is the latter look up Fort Leavenworth Hunt and ask them. I've hunted with them through the years and have seen men hunting in dress uniforms.

The 3rd US Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) uses horses in some ceremonies, they have a facebook page and you could possibly get some information through them. I love the look of seeing a dress uniform on horseback!

Im trying to get DH on my horse, he's an Engineer. My brother is a Cav Scout and keeps saying he wants to get on my horse just to take a picture with his stetson and saber.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare