The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Our pony Toby wasn't feral but he'd been thru the meat auction and then terrorized by kids poking sticks thru the fence at him. The woman I bought him from bought him out of the meat pen just to save him.

I was warned that "You can't catch him". The day I looked at him, she put grain in a stall and we went in the house. Eventually Toby walked into the barn, we went out and closed the door. After that he was easy to bridle and ride.

Once home, I followed her procedure. Then I started taking him a bucket with some grain into his pasture and leaving him alone. Gradually, over a period of a couple of weeks, I retreated less distance until he would come and eat out of the bucket while I petted him.

It took time and patience, but he became as easy to catch in the pasture as any other horse...walk right up and put a rope around the neck to halter. Gus has been traumatized. Give him time and patience. Let him respond in his own way. I'm sure he will come around.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by californianinkansas View Post
    You need to start a blog. Your posts always crack me up!
    Agreed!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

1 members found this post helpful.

Hehehe! I actually do have a blog. I haven't updated to include Gus yet, but I will soon.

http://moonlitoaksranch.blogspot.com/
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

I have just loved hearing about Gus.
    I am so happy you got him, I have only read half the posts, but it is so great that you gave that darling little devil a second chance.
    And Gus is a great name, Fergus even better.
    I have a soft spot for ponies. HAd one as a young person many moons ago.
    He was a little black Demon.
    Best of luck with the little guy!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Hehehe! I actually do have a blog. I haven't updated to include Gus yet, but I will soon.

Cool! I just added your blog to my favorites/bookmarks. Thanks!

2 members found this post helpful.

I just came back from visiting your blog. Libby looks amazing! Any recent pictures of her?

Donkeyotee's story brought tears to my eyes. His "before" photo is absolutely horrific. He's beautiful now.

Humans are an invasive species. Hopefully dolphins will evolve thumbs soon and take over the planet.

Oh my...I just looked at your blog and the story of Donkeyotee had me so choked up I couldn't answer the phone at work! I will never, ever understand such cruelty and ignorance.

You, my dear, are an angel and a terrific blogger as well. I will look forward to all of Gus's achievements and triumphs and joint others in offering kudos for a job well done.

Hey! I've seen your violin playing video!!! I never knew the story behind Donkeyote - he has a new fan . Your blog is delightful too!

Humans are an invasive species. Hopefully dolphins will evolve thumbs soon and take over the planet.
    I spent a lot of time during undergrad observing wild dolphin behavior. Dolphins (at least our SC dolphins) are big rednecks with fins. They fight, they spit, they bite, and they think about sex almost constantly. If they could live in a trailer park, they'd fit right in at Myrtle Manor. Not saying humans are any better, taken as a species.

3 members found this post helpful.

microbovine - you have done amazing things with the animals in your blog. You and your animals are inspirational. Especially that little donkey. I hope he counts his blessings every night to have found you. I have no doubt that Gus the Stinker will soon do the same.

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow, that was very kind of you, fatappy! I think I am just lucky enough to have found some remarkable animals.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    I spent a lot of time during undergrad observing wild dolphin behavior. Dolphins (at least our SC dolphins) are big rednecks with fins. They fight, they spit, they bite, and they think about sex almost constantly. If they could live in a trailer park, they'd fit right in at Myrtle Manor. Not saying humans are any better, taken as a species.
    They spit?!? Okay then, not dolphins. Well, at least they wouldn't be any worse than humans.

I have heard dolphins are all Flipper and sunshine...

...at least, the adolescent males aren't. They are all too much like other young males of many species.

Gus is making good strides daily. I hope to lead him with the lead rope around his neck by the end of the week. I am trying to go slow enough to avoid any sort of blow up on his part.

War veteran

I just spent the past 30 minutes reading your blog. I was entranced and yes, I cried reading about Donkeyote.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

They spit?!? Okay then, not dolphins. Well, at least they wouldn't be any worse than humans.
    Well, kind of. They have a way of surfacing really close to the boat and exhaling explosively through their blowholes. They have an uncanny ability to catch you right in the eye with the expelled droplets if you are silly enough to be leaning over the side when it happens. I was always told there are little parasites that live in their blowholes - but that may just have been something our professors made up to torment us.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Well, kind of. They have a way of surfacing really close to the boat and exhaling explosively through their blowholes. They have an uncanny ability to catch you right in the eye with the expelled droplets if you are silly enough to be leaning over the side when it happens. I was always told there are little parasites that live in their blowholes - but that may just have been something our professors made up to torment us.
    "Little parasites that live in their blowholes." *shudder* That's going to be up there with neck threadworms in my nightmares. I was already scarred for life by taking pathogenic microbiology as an undergrad. Worms in their blowholes... yeesh!
    Last edited by californianinkansas; Apr. 16, 2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: grammar