The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    The round pen thing seems to be working but, while he'll walk up to me or allow me to walk up to him, he has not allowed me to touch him. Until last night.

After a very short moving him around session, he walked up to me, with a little hesitation, and let me rub his forehead and cheek. Then, he stepped back and turned his hind end towards me. Now, I should have read his signals better and stepped back myself before he got defensive, but I didn't in time. Shoot. Now, I can't let a horse turn his butt on me so I quietly moved him around again and tried the touching thing. I was unsuccessful, however, he did start turning sideways instead of showing me his butt, so I called him over to his bucket, dropped some treats in, and exited the RP to end the session (hubby and son needed me). He let me reach through the fence and pet him on the head again, so that was good.

The previous owners trapped him in a pen, using feed and, with a couple of people, cornered him and forced the halter on. He is harder to approach from the shoulder than head on, which is unusual.

My plan for today's session is to try to touch him again and hopefully, read him well enough to back off before he turns his butt towards me. If he does get uncomfortable, I hope he has learned to turn away and not around or I will need to move him around again.

As far as doing rope work, I am not comfortable enough and I worry that it would cause a pretty big blow up, if I did it wrong.

A baby would be so much easier in many ways.
    Are you sure he didn't just want you to scratch his butt? I know he's not a donkey, but our donkey presents his butt to be scratched once his ears are done.

ok, but even if that's the case, is this really the foundational training you want to be doing? It's one thing to allow that behavior from an old steady-eddie who is very well-trained and otherwise consistently respectful of his humans and their dominance in the hierarchy. (well sortof-- personally, I wouldn't).

But to train (make no mistake-- what we "allow" is what we are training them to do) a feral pony who is just learning all of the rules that this is how he should behave? No way would I allow him to shove his butt towards me regardless for friendly or threatening reasons. He would never do that to the dominant horse in the herd, without getting swiftly corrected by the herd boss.

I'm not saying you need to scare him or overreact with a giant CTJ kind of correction. But geez oh man, I really do urge the OP to not reward this disrespectful behavior, because there are so many other instances where that behavior is NOT going to be ok, and you'll correct him-- what is that going to do to his trust and understanding of the rules?
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

3 members found this post helpful.

I have no intention of allowing him to think pointing his butt towards me is okay. He is still way too frightened to be trusted with both barrels my way.

I have not been exercising him every day because I was recovering from pneumonia. All better now and ready to get him on a regular schedule.

I'll see how today goes.

1 members found this post helpful.

I worked him last night again and he let me touch him. It was a funny session though. I use a plain old rope leadrope (the clip in my hand) to move him. Last night I found him to be more relaxed, so I made exaggerated motions with the lead rope. I even flung it out as if it were a lariet and he didn't seem nearly as concerned as he used to be. The lead rope has never actually touched him, BTW. I round penned him and he came up, but he was standoffish. This time, I tried it without treats in my pocket because I thought they were too distracting. So, after he and I reached an impass after that first round pen session, I played a game with him. I walked around the round pen making smaller and smaller circles around him but never heading directly towards him. He is so weird about always having to face you that I thought tthat might help him get used to seeing me from all angles. He turned around to watch me a little but he wasn't bad. I was very low key, calm, and looked where I was going while keeping him in my peripheral view. It kind of worked, LOL! When I stopped, he walked up and let me pet his nose. Does that mean he round penned me back?

4 members found this post helpful.

I worked him last night again and he let me touch him. It was a funny session though. I use a plain old rope leadrope (the clip in my hand) to move him. Last night I found him to be more relaxed, so I made exaggerated motions with the lead rope. I even flung it out as if it were a lariet and he didn't seem nearly as concerned as he used to be. The lead rope has never actually touched him, BTW. I round penned him and he came up, but he was standoffish. This time, I tried it without treats in my pocket because I thought they were too distracting. So, after he and I reached an impass after that first round pen session, I played a game with him. I walked around the round pen making smaller and smaller circles around him but never heading directly towards him. He is so weird about always having to face you that I thought tthat might help him get used to seeing me from all angles. He turned around to watch me a little but he wasn't bad. I was very low key, calm, and looked where I was going while keeping him in my peripheral view. It kind of worked, LOL! When I stopped, he walked up and let me pet his nose. Does that mean he round penned me back?
    That is classic operant conditioning. You got him to do what you wanted him to do while at the same time convincing him that it was all his idea in the first place. This works with humans, too. You are a very sophisticated trainer: Karen Pryor would be proud. Yay you!

2 members found this post helpful.

Regarding worming him....I've mixed paste wormer directly into my horses grain. As far as I know it doesn't matter how it gets inside them as long as it does. With very few exceptions my horses have eaten their grain ration right up. I have the best luck with this at the last meal of the day. If I'm still puttering around in the barn they will sometimes wait before eating it hoping for something "untainted".
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Micro, he is ADORABLE! Good luck, thanks for giving this guy a second chance!

Where in FL are you? I'd love to say hey if you're in my area!

You could worm with Safeguard Equibits maybe ?
    http://www.getrotationright.com/productEquiBits.asp
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

May I just say this is on of my current, favorite threads? Thanks for sharing these stories!

He let me scratch his neck and shoulder today!

His fecal came back with very few strongyles. Vet says wait until he's tame enough to paste deworm him.

Californianinkansas, thank you!

Talkofthetown, I'm up north, between Gainesville and JAX. Where are you?

You need to start a blog for him! I did that with our pony and it's awesome to read old posts

Your approach sounds perfect for Gus! Yay for both of you!

Regarding the deworming:
    I'm sure you're aware of this, but unless you have an actual scale weight for him, DO NOT use Quest or any Moxidectin dewormer. Dosage has to be very accurate according to weight, and weight tapes are not accurate enough on smaller horses to be safe.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

"Does this mean he roundenned me?"

That made me smile.

I have a sweet little mini to keep my large mare company. He's a cute and active little guy, but does have an open stall with a stall chain in the doorway so he can escape if things get a bit much for him.

The other day, the mare was in the centre of the turn-out pen and she was 'lungeing' him - doing something akin to canter pirouettes, with him trotting a big circle round her. Eventually, he tired of being bossed around and deeked into his stall for hay.

But a person could certainly learn horse body language from those two!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I told them that I would take him if he loaded into my trailer. Of course he walked right in, LOL!

He's in our round pen for quarantine (vaccine history unknown, deworming schedule non-existent, feet are bad but not terrible). Knowing his halter tricks, I took it off. Maybe that was a mistake, but he needs to learn to trust, regardless. I have had a several training sessions with him since he arrived on Thursday. Mostly just me trying to get him to take treats and let me pet him. I have a vet check scheduled this coming week, but not sure it will happen. I think he needs to stay in the round pen until he is tame enough to halter and tie before I can get him vetted. Meanwhile, I'll do a fecal and see if a feed through product will be adequate for deworming. I'd rather not traumatize him with vet treatment until he's easier to catch. Our vet is fine with waiting as long he's separate and training progress is being made.

Here is a picture of Gus, the little stinker.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psc52ff432.jpg
    That picture makes me think he's a Rock Star!

Good morning! How is Gus doing?

Hi there,

I thought I would post an update. I moved Gus into a smaller pen with a shelter but it was inappropriate for any sort of work (too many corners). In addition, it was busy around here with planting season and some cattle work. Now that we are all caught up, and today's rain has stopped, I moved him back to the round pen to stay until I make further progress.

We have stagnated at the point where I can scratch his head and shoulders. He walks off when he's had enough. Well, that isn't working, so back in the round pen so I can decide when he's done. Otherwise, no further progress would be made. Now, from what I gather, this pony was bullied into a corner of a cattle trap to put a halter so I need to start all over. Any sort of rope will cause a reaction but I have him pretty used to the lead rope I use to move him.

My plan is to round pen him until he gets to the 'come up to me' point (it was three laps when we left off-he's a quick learner). Then, when he lets me pet him, I plan to step away before he does. If that doesn't work and he moves off, I will move him around and try again. I need him to make just a tiny bit more progress before we end each session and I need to leave before he walks off. This is slow going, but he's become even more friendly lately and followed me around in the little pen so I think this might get him to come around.

I hope that all makes sense.

Sure, one of those NH magical whisperer types could force him to go a lot faster, but I think he'll learn just fine if I go my own slow pace. I just need him to come around pretty soon because I noticed a crack in one of his long hooves. My farrier thinks he's never been trimmed but said his hooves had a nice shape to them despite everything, so not to worry about rushing him.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

Annnnd, a few more pictures. Yeah, you can tell he's more friendly.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps03f06819.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps2d58ba7d.jpg

He's also filled out a bit, hehehe!
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

That first pic made me LOL!!!!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    That first pic made me LOL!!!!
    'Hey, can I eat that?'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.