The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show camping price

I must be a cranky b*tch today because the camping fee for my first show is $150. That's water and electricity AND dry camping. If you bring a camper onto the show grounds, you are charged.

Just seems very vulcher-ish to me. Last year it was $80. I inquired as to why the increase and expected to be told that the University had raised it's camping fees. But no, the answer was to quote the paragraph in the prize list.

$600 total for the weekend/show. For 1 horse; 4 classes. Totaling up entries, camping, fuel costs, etc. Really rethinking this one!
    Ride like you mean it.

Speak with your wallet if you do not like the fee. Do not pay to camp on the grounds.

2 members found this post helpful.

Our shows run $25 - $30 a night. We are charged per night we are camping. I have a living quarters trailer. That is with electric and sometimes water.

1 members found this post helpful.

I definitely vote with my wallet. The show is under new management and I see this as a way to build the dwindling coffers. I think it will backfire on them. I was already a little on the fence about this show because of the judge. Now, I'm looking at what other things that money could buy...or NOT buy!

I think a lot of other AOTS exhibitors will decide to chuck this show, too. Or not. Maybe I'm the only bitchy one who draws a line.
    Ride like you mean it.

We usually pay in the neighborhood of $30 a night for electric and water (we tent camp.) Still cheaper than a hotel, and we can cook our own meals.

Holy crap, that's ridiculous. I would not pay for that either unless there was a massage boy, a chef, and a hot shower at each campsite. I can sleep in the back of my truck for free.

That's way too high....I would never pay that! The most I ever pay is $60 for a weekend (Fri-Sun) show and that's for "hook-up's". The only "hook up" I use is to plug the fridge in my horse trailer in so half the time I skip it and go with a cooler and ice.

Any local hotels nearby to the show grounds? Give them your business instead (as I'm sure several others will probably do with camping fees that high!)