The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Depends on how old your kids are. Are you able to put together some meals that only need to be put in an oven? Are you willing to eat grilled cheese if that's the meal a child chooses to make for supper? Will it mean that you miss the school choir concert? The best thing we've done for our kids was to give them some responsibility (without having a free for all). When our kids went to college they knew how to make a simple meal and could do laundry. It is shocking the number of kids that couldn't because someone always did it for them. There's too many things that only you can decide based on your children and their needs.

As with everything else, of depends on your family dynamics and relationship with SO or DH.

However, even with nobody else to worry about, you can burn out from too little sleep, cramming too much into too little time and no free time-even God took a day off.

The greatest passion can turn into as big a grindstone as a job you hate if it dominates your life at the expense of family time and maintaining a relationship and you end up resenting it just as much as the crap job.

Not saying this is the only result but it can happen when you end up over scheduling yourself to where you are only home long enough to shower and sleep 6 hours. It gets old in a hurry.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

2cents my kids can all clean/wash/cook (one DD is probably as good cook as me) other DD just doesnt cause she sometimes lazy, DS can but its a fight to get him to do it, they do have sports stuff after school until summer. That will give me time to see what happens @ present barn.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I work from 7am - 3pm every day.

I rough board my horse. She is on the way home from work, but very close to my house. I stop by the barn every morning before work, then go to work, then go to the barn after work, clean her stall, ride, turn in the horses and feed (it's a co-op; I am responsible for PM chores).

It's a lot of work, especially since I am a rough boarder, but I am glad I see her every day.

I do not have kids but I am married and I have a rambunctious dog who usually needs a walk or to at least go out in the yard and play when I get home.

I used to do it, but I was 22, 23 and no kids at the time. I worked until 5 and honestly it worked fantastic especially at this time of the year because if I went home first I wouldn't be able to ride because it would be dark (no indoor).

Yeah, I'd be tired but by the time I'd get out and get my mare, groom her and tack up I'd have a renewed energy. I didn't take work stress home. I learned not to take it to the barn either, which was about 2 miles from where I worked (it was awesome, I could actually visit her at lunch if I wanted to!)

Would I do it with kids and their schedules? No way... it would never work unless hubby did all of the taxi driving after school to practices and such, or my work schedule let me get off very early in the afternoon.

If it ever warms up (please) I may just go hang for a bit pretend Im riding & see how it would work, different things could work with different horses so I need to see what I end up with and then maybe move,

1 thing Ive learned--dont plan to get ready & ride in X minutes cause sure as you do 10 people are riding/turning out/theres a horse lose, different things. Or maybe your horse needs more work on Y so you ride for 45 min.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker