The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default riding before going home

Im looking at a barn thats on the way home from work 15 minutes out of my way maybe but a good drive from the house. The price is low but gas is not. Im wondering if I can work 9+ hours a day /ride /go home & fix dinner for family rinse repeat without losing my mind. If youve done it or do it now please share, how did you make it work? Yes I could ask family to cook but kids schedules may mean no one is home, crock pots only work for some meals & after work stress I may not feel like doing a good job of riding either.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Don't do it if you can avoid it. It works fine if you're just doing a weekly lesson (using a lesson horse) on your way home from work, but on a daily basis, it gets real old real fast.

I don't have kids, but yes, I do the work til 5, straight to barn til 7:30, straight home to start cooking in breeches at 8:15... usually eat around 8:45. I have not lost my mind yet. It's probably best this way, actually, so I can decompress from work before seeing my boyfriend and unleashing my bad day upon him

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm the same as starhorse. Work til 6, go straight to the barn, get home around 9. luckily my bf is the chef so dinner is ready when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Im looking at a barn thats on the way home from work 15 minutes out of my way maybe but a good drive from the house. The price is low but gas is not. Im wondering if I can work 9+ hours a day /ride /go home & fix dinner for family rinse repeat without losing my mind. If youve done it or do it now please share, how did you make it work? Yes I could ask family to cook but kids schedules may mean no one is home, crock pots only work for some meals & after work stress I may not feel like doing a good job of riding either.
    I do it 5 days a week, although we don't have kids at home full time. Despite the fact that I train hard and work my a** off when I'm in the saddle, it's still my wind down time. It doesn't exhaust me, it re-energizes me on most days. That said there are days when I wish we were having dinner before 8:30PM... The crock pot is a life saver when it comes to having a full on meal The key for me is keeping my stuff organized and minimizing the time I spend screwing around in the barn. I channel my working student days when I had to tack up horse after horse super quick so I can get in and get out in a reasonable amount of time.

I also ride in the morning sometimes. My coach doesn't usually teach past 2 or 3PM so I do my lessons before work at 7AM. You might consider doing a couple of rides before work of you can. It's a fantastic way to start the day and that way you'll have a couple of days a week where you're home early.

1 members found this post helpful.

I go to the barn straight from work pretty much every week day. My son is grown and on his own and my BF (that sounds so wrong at my age) works second shift so getting dinner ready is not an issue.

Time wise I leave work around 4:15 get to the barn about 4:30-4:45 groom, ride, cool down, chat a bit, and generally get home around 8:00. I have a programmable washer so it's usually finishing up around the time I get home. If I pushed a little harder I could probably knock an hour off but I'm not super pressed to get home early. I am ashamed to admit my tack only gets cleaned on weekends though.

I work till 4pm then drive to the barn an hour away in okay traffic. If there's a lot of traffic it can be much more. I usually get home at 8-9pm. It sucks. A lot. I only do it because I live in the city and there is nowhere closer that will offer this quality of care and training . While some people are okay with this, for me it is not sustainable and when I move to a different city in the next year or so I will absolutely not have this kind of set-up again. I can't even imagine it with kids.

I did it for quite some time. Barn and office were 5 minutes apart, and home 30 to 40 minutes from both. Worked well for me, but I had very flexible work schedule and no kids. Also super supportive SO that took on the home stuff (get the dog out, make dinner) when I wasn't home until 8 or 9. If I had to take care of anyone else, like kids or spouse, it wouldn't work as we'd be eating at bedtime.

Not working so good for me, even with my non-traditional hours. I get there after work and am often too tired and sore from work to really work hard at the barn. Then I go home and have home chores feeding the animals, often just skip dinner entirely, have to be in bed by 6 or noon, sleep four, get back up and get back to bed by 10. If the DD has to be picked up from school to get home and get dinner before going back for pep band at the basketball games, I'm toast. For horse and riding related stuff the swing shift was better, but then I never saw the DD and DH had to juggle all the after school/cook dinner/etc etc. (they ate out a LOT). And I have a really easy commute, just three miles out of the way. With kids there's just not enough hours in the day.

It's not even that easy when the horses are home, just a lot of chores surrounding the keeping of animals.

ETA I do shift sleeping, I sleep four hours and then go back later and sleep four more, or I try to get the whole eight in at once. Shift work is very tough especially if you have any kind of sleep issues.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I did it for years and it worked better for me because if I went home first it was so hard to get back out the door and to the barn. I would change at my office, drive to my barn, ride etc then go home. Dinner would be about 8 PM. There are plenty of easy simple things you can make and batch and reheat. Soups, stews, casseroles etc and just add a salad or green veg and you are good to go. Usually one afternoon or evening a week I would make several different recipes that would last for the work week.

I go to work at 730 leave at 5 with 1.5 hr commute r/t, early riding wouldnt work unless I found a place to shower/dry hair, & a mans barn isnt it . Sounds like I need to think about this, cheap is nice with good care but if I couldnt ride much thats a problem. I think I ill wait until all kids are gone or my job changes hours, I work 4 days/week so maybe if I changed to work 5 (wow $$$ in gas) it would be 8-4 more doable. Thanks for ideas still thinking.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I HAVE to go straight from work. If I go home the likely hood of me making it to the barn drops WAY down!! Instead of driving all the way home, doing this that or the other thing then driving more to get back to the barn, do what you need at the barn and getting him at 9:30 or something. I go straight from work, do what I need to at the barn, be home by 6:30 then have the whole evening to do whatever I need/want

Well, with three off days you could ride two out of four workdays- my other problem is I do six part days and boy does that screw things up. Where are your horses now?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I work 7-4 and drive straight to the barn from work. You'll have more time on just the simple fact that you won't be in the car that much longer, even if all other factors are the same. The only time it sucks is when it's 100+ degrees out.

I prefer it to going home first. I just change clothes in the bathroom before I leave work.

I pretty much always ride before going home. If I go home, I'm staying there, especially in the middle of winter! Barn is on my way home, about 8 minutes away. I bring barn clothes to work, change before I leave, and go to the barn.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

My horses now are passed my house other direction from work, so I go home fix/eat supper & go later, also means no one is in the indoor. Also means if I want to talk I go on weekends & talk to 10 people all wanting to use in the indoor. Just very $$ at my barn & few other things that I dont like otherwise its pretty much perfect.
    TM its never 100 degrees here so no worries unless its like 10.

Did it for 4 years. Work hours were 6 am till 3pm. Commute to work was 1 hr, barn 45 minutes from house in the other direction. Big plus was I rode when everyone else was eating dinner so had the barn and ring to themselves. I rode two horses.
    I skipped dinner or had a light meal.
    If I went home I would never go to the barn. Total driving time > 3 hrs.

I do a version of that. I live and work in Philadelphia and keep my horses about 45 minutes away in New Jersey. So, to avoid rush hour traffic, I drive my car to a train station 15 minutes from the barn. I then take the train into work and back to the train station at the end of the day. That means getting up at 6 and getting to the barn around 6. There are days I feel so tired that I would head straight home and crawl in bed if I weren't already close to the barn, but my horses never fail to re-energize me. My problem in winter is that I never know at 6 a.m. what the temperatures are going to be at 6 p.m., so I have to take multiple changes of clothes in the car just in case.

I work from 8-4. (and I have to go to school from 7to 10 3xa week but i'll skip that part)

I get to the barn around 4:30 and I'm on my mare at 5- 5:30 the least.
    My training plan has me working for 30-45 minutes max. Muscle and suppleness.
    On the week end, I can ride longer and do some cardio.

So I'm home by 7 - 7:30.

I prefer going right after work because I wouldn't get back out if I'm at home and at 4:30 I'm always alone at the barn and I love it!!! Most people get to the barn by 7! or came during the day.

I did a version of this for a while. Worked great when I lived 20 minutes from the barn, started to stink big time when I moved farther away from the barn (say about an hour). I hated it - and I work 7:30 to 4 and was single at the time. Plus getting to the barn on the weekend was a chore. I ended up moving my horse to a much nicer (and more expensive) barn 5 minutes by car from my house. So now I come home from work, change, hit the barn, and am home by 6:30 at the latest.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!