The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Any recycling use for old VHS tapes of show jumping, olympics, etc.??

I'm cleaning out stuff and have come across MANY tapes of vintage era (90's >) Olympic coverage, Spruce Meadows, DC International stuff. Anybody go back to watch this sort of thing?? Otherwise...can/should, I just burn the old tapes???
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Please don't burn them.

Take them to a Certified Electronics Recycler in your area. Some neighborhoods & smaller towns have Electronics Recycling drives if you can wait and store them a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    I'm cleaning out stuff and have come across MANY tapes of vintage era (90's >) Olympic coverage, Spruce Meadows, DC International stuff. Anybody go back to watch this sort of thing?? Otherwise...can/should, I just burn the old tapes???
    Try to contact fellow COTHer Immortal Synn (sp?) she has YouTube page with old show jumping competitions from the era you speak of. Don't toss them just yet.

3 members found this post helpful.

If you do not want to be bothered with selling them on eBay, then please do not just trash them. Donate them to a local Pony Club organization, or to a local stable that has an active lesson program. Surely there is a lot of educational value in them.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I recommend contacting ImmortalSynn. He/she can digitize them and share them with the rest of us!

Yes, they can be digitized. Lots of people can do it. Definitely don't toss them!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Hijacking this thread a bit-digitilizing old vhs? Interesting as I have some old vhs tapes that I would love to put onto a dvd so I can keep watching them but I thought it was illegal to copy?

I believe that copyright laws allow the owner of a video/CD/etc. to make a single copy for personal use and preservation.

I have a VHS-DVD recorder and it's really easy to make digital copies.

Definitely don't throw them away, OP! A local Pony Club would be happy to have them (heck, if you don't have a local, the PC chapter at my barn would love to have them).

sent you a PM!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Put them in the giveaways section. I can't be the only person that still has, and uses, a VHS player.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I believe that copyright laws allow the owner of a video/CD/etc. to make a single copy for personal use and preservation.
    I believe you'd be incorrect in this. However, the videographer could have included that right in his/her sale.

If these are professionally done, anyone you took them to (business) to have them copied should ask for release from the copyright owner (videographer).

What an individual does with his/her own equipment is between you and your conscience.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    I believe you'd be incorrect in this. However, the videographer could have included that right in his/her sale.

If these are professionally done, anyone you took them to (business) to have them copied should ask for release from the copyright owner (videographer).

What an individual does with his/her own equipment is between you and your conscience.

Carol
    Fair Use does not require permission of the videographer and fully entitles the creation of copies for personal use.

"What is the character of the use?
    Educational, non-profit, and personal use is likely to be considered fair use; commercial use is not.
    Personal use includes uses such as making copies for one’s own files or using the copyrighted material in a paper written for a class (but not otherwise shared). For example, to use a copyrighted image in a research paper or multimedia project created for a class is personal use, but if the paper or project is posted on the web, it is legally published, and this use no longer falls under fair use.
    Educational use includes use by a teacher or student in a class or distance learning environment."

Using these videos at pony club, or making a copy of a VHS you already own, for yourself, does not violate fair use.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Don't throw them out! Believe it or not people do still use VHS tapes. Donate them! Pony club, 4H, etc.

And this is a non directly horse related but still topic related PSA...if anyone has any kid friendly videos (especially if they involve horses and other animals - orphanage has a sustainable development section which includes a farm), I know an orphanage and a couple of educare centers in South Africa who would LOVE them.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey