The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OMG! Bringing a new feline friend home Friday!

The family and I went to the local shelter today, and we are adopting a 1 year old girl kitty, that is somewhat a freak of nature She has legs almost the length of a munchkin, a 5 inch short fat tail, and is fat as a tick!!! She is quite small all in all, and in our eyes is very adorable. We adopted a cat the same age as her, but 3 years ago....i am so worried that she is not going to get along with this new cat We have done our research and we are going to segregate the two for how ever long we need to...but could anyone with multiple cat households have any advice on making this a total success? This is very important to me/us

One more litter box than the number of cats.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh lord....PLEASE tell me that bringing in a new cat will NOT end in either cat not using their litter box *sigh* That could be bad...very bad

Congrats! Yes, I would keep separate and for sure make sure new kitty has plenty of "safe" places in their segregated area. They may hide under the bed at first, or in a closet, until they feel safe. They will do plenty of "under the door footsie/soccer". I introduce very gradually - usually in one enclosed room where both kitties have safe places and can get away (and I can control it). Sometimes you can "switch" - i.e., put "old kitty" in the area where "new kitty" has been and vice versa so they each get each other's scents.

And yes, two kitty boxes for sure, but I bet you will be totally fine!

Congratulations! And what lt2 said!! Of course we must be provided pictures!!!

LOL! I will definitely post some pics when she comes home!!! Thanks for the advice thus far!

Congrats! And you might try using a Feliway diffuser--it's calming kitty crack.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Congrats! And you might try using a Feliway diffuser--it's calming kitty crack.
    Do those things really work? I will absolutely try anything! This MUST go well!