The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

but the whole thing sure makes me want to suggests personal safety training to PC:

What do you do when strangers rush up to you when you are mounted?Yell and scream 'You are not my parent'
    make use of your crop if necessary.....

and tuck and roll away from the pee spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

28 members found this post helpful.

Invariably, one of my lesson horses will pee in the ring at least once a week. It happens. Still not sure what the level of the rider and how young a horse is have to do with one another, especially given the OP????
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

4 members found this post helpful.

When my kid was in PC, many years ago, if we'd run into the "no peeing" rule, we just wouldn't have gone to that rating.

Then again, if I could afford million dollar footing, I'd probably just "pony up" and fix the footing when the kids were finished if anyone had peed.

Whatever, I think the OP is correct to question that rule, I sure would have!

13 members found this post helpful.

So - Huntmeet - curious as to what, if any, developments there have been?
    This post is so weird it is fascinating, but we are not getting both sides.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

3 members found this post helpful.

1.) I didn't read anything into the OP.

2.) I wouldn't have wondered if there was a backstory UNTIL Laurie posted.

3.) If Laurie hadn't posted, no one would probably would have known what facility it was.

4.) If the arena the OP is referring to is built like Devon, then why the rule? Horses pee in the Devon arena. So what then is the difference? It's not like there will be hundreds of horses peeing during the event, more than likely maybe 5-10 if that.
    Last edited by Chardavej; Mar. 4, 2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

27 members found this post helpful.

You DON'T know what the facility was. It is in the same state as the one linked but that is about it. I am glad you all got a chance to weigh in on the topic, perhaps some re-wording of the policy is in order. The situation has been resolved. By the way, I wasn't attacking the OP, I was mad it was posted here but really mad that many of you were calling my dear friend names and such. THAT is what pissed me off more than anything.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    For the record, your sleuthing turned up the wrong place as that is clearly not a private home but thank you for your attempt to add insult to injury.

Forgive me for being dense, but what "injury?"

Someone posted a question about whether this was a normal/weird policy. Most of us say it's not and are a bit amazed by the idea of 'million dollar footing' that can't handle a little pee.

In the pantheon of COTH dramas, this one is pretty amazingly minor to feel so heartbroken over. If things are so bad for the hostess that this "situation" (which, I remind you, is a person asking a question) is so upsetting, I'm thinking hosting things at her private farm is probably a bad idea in general.

Any time you host a competition/event, people are going to have opinions about your facility. The bathrooms, the footing, the lighting, the sound system, the jumps, trailer accessibility, dogs or lack thereof, etc, etc, etc. If poor opinions over any of those things, or mere questions about them, upset you that much, perhaps hosting things is something to rethink.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

34 members found this post helpful.

You DON'T know what the facility was. It is in the same state as the one linked but that is about it. I am glad you all got a chance to weigh in on the topic, perhaps some re-wording of the policy is in order. The situation has been resolved. By the way, I wasn't attacking the OP, I was mad it was posted here but really mad that many of you were calling my dear friend names and such. THAT is what pissed me off more than anything.

No one was calling your dear friend names since I don't think any of us know who your dear friend is so IMHO, you took things a bit too personally.

Most posters were reacting to the policy in question, not to the unknown person behind it.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

21 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, it was worded too strongly, but I understand the rule. I am actually a bit surprised if people's horses are allowed to urinate in my indoor arena, as it does stay wet for a few days, stinks, and washes away some of the footing additive on my way-less-than million dollar footing. But I don't rush their horses nor have a posted sign. I just chat with them after the fact and mention that if they feel that coming on, they should exit to the grassy area next time. Really, it is fairly unusual and I don't lose sleep over it. Most people who don't have an arena simply don't know how much work and expense it takes to maintain footing, and because they aren't riding in that arena tomorrow, don't realize the lasting effects of allowing a horse to urinate in an arena. So these things don't occur to them. Ignorance is not a crime and it therefore isn't fixed by fines, it is fixed by education. Aside: Yay Pony Club.

6 members found this post helpful.

This is a bit of revisionist history. I went back and looked, because I honestly couldn't remember anyone calling your friend names. The first post in which any name calling was directed at your friend was post 10. By that time you had already made TWO posts, including post 9 in which you attacked the OP and made the statement about being the one doing the rankings, which I (and others) interpreted as a threat directed at the OP, her friend, and their kids.

As several other people have pointed out, the OP was simply asking questions about one of the "do's and don'ts" that had been sent out. Things didn't go off the rails until after you began responding to the posts.

35 members found this post helpful.

"When my friend asked what would happen if her 10 year old son's pony mare started to pee, the BO said they'd just get a bunch of people to start yelling and clapping their hands & run into the arena."

I understand the "her place, her rules" thing. And if rain absorbs through this million-dollar footing, wouldn't urine, also?

But the thing that leaves me agape is the above quote. My dear lord, I hope she has a TRILLION DOLLAR insurance to pay for the suits caused by this action directed at mostly young, basically beginner riders. I have really horrible pictures of the results of this....
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

24 members found this post helpful.

My pony is a champion pee-er. He will slam on the brakes from any gait and go. No amount of kicking or pulling will make him change his mind. We were cantering around the course at a horse show one day, and coming out of the corner to the jump he suddenly decided he needed to go, slammed on the brakes, peed, picked up the canter and jumped the rest of the course. We won the class. The judge said she wouldn't penalize a horse for being a horse. So, yes, it does happen, even when on course. I have no comment on the rest of this train wreck.

19 members found this post helpful.

Laurie, I am sorry to say that your continued posts are not making you look any better. Please just let it go.

I am sorry that what appeared to be a simple question, that no one but you read into, has caused you so much turmoil that you are ranting about it and threatening pony club kids. But please, save your reputation in the long run and step away from the keyboard. The thread can not die until you stop tossing fuel onto it.

My background is hunters, not eventing, and I can honestly say I have never heard of a rule like this. It is not uncommon for a horse to pee from time to time while lined up after a flat class. I have never seen a hunter barn owner get upset about it or ask the horse owner to please not allow that to happen again.
    I have boarded at facilities that ask you to please clean up after your horse when it manures in the ring. On this note, they do not run out there and clean up manure if a horse manures on course during a show.
    I am not sure I have a way to prevent a horse from urinating in the ring, anyway. None of my horses have been taught to urinate on command so I do not have the ability to make sure they are empty prior to entering the ring.

That is the basis of my thought that the request and the punishment just seem weird to me. It has nothing to do with thinking your friend is anything strange personally. I do think your friend worded her request poorly if what was posted is what the request said.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I was having the same OMG reaction until I read Laurierace's response. I don't think I've ever seen a normal horse urinate in an arena. Seriously, people, tell me the last time you did.
    Actually.... I know a rider who was pretty adept at getting horses to pee. She would come into ring, freewalk around, and when she took up the reins to start to ride, horse would park. Sometimes pee right away. Other times it took a while.

We thought the horse had a funny 'issue.' Until..... she got another horse, and within, I kid you not , 3-5 rides, that new horse was doing the same thing.

I was pretty impressed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Look folks, Laurie is a VERY nice person. On the boards and off. There has to be more to this story than meets the eye, perhaps something that happened IRL before the OP brought this here. Perhaps the OP posted this here with the intention of being a snark. Who knows? People's motivations aren't always clear, it is entirely possible we've all played right into what the OP wanted in the first place. Honestly I'm going to give Laurie the benefit of the doubt here.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    Look folks, Laurie is a VERY nice person. On the boards and off. There has to be more to this story than meets the eye, perhaps something that happened IRL before the OP brought this here. Perhaps the OP posted this here with the intention of being a snark. Who knows? People's motivations aren't always clear, it is entirely possible we've all played right into what the OP wanted in the first place. Honestly I'm going to give Laurie the benefit of the doubt here.
    Laurie being nice or not in real life does not excuse her threatening a pony clubber in writing here.
    And again, as has been posted several times, if Laurie had not gone berserk the thread would have died a quick death and nothing would have happened.

I see not even Laurie is saying her friend did not send out that rule. That is kind of scary.

34 members found this post helpful.

Nice or not, there's a whole lot of over reacting going on.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

12 members found this post helpful.

Like I said, there is a lot more to the story. Suffice to say I will ask to be reassigned because I don't know if I can be impartial now. Maybe you don't like the way I react when a dear friend is being chastised for her wonderful, generous offering despite the back story, so be it.
    What dear friend? The OP NEVER disclosed a name or any other identifying information. You're the one that has completely and utterly flipped her lid - and I mean completely and utterly.

Threatening a bunch of little kids and their ponies? How much lower can a person go? Kick a puppy while you're at it. Good grief.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

45 members found this post helpful.

LET.IT.GO.

The facility was not mentioned
    the owner was not mentioned
    no name calling was done.

seriously!
    Are you feeling well?
    I have read some strong stuff from you, but this is certainly from far out of left field!

We don't know what facility it is. Frankly I don't care.

let me repeat: YOU, and you alone saddled this drama llama, rode it into a lather and you still keep on kicking it.
    Give it a rest, have some wine....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

26 members found this post helpful.

Wow--I really did not mean to touch such a nerve or start such a thread! Just a few things to clarify:
    1. MY children were not the ones being rated. My friend asked if I had ever heard of such a policy and I hadn't so I said I would check around. I have been out of the Pony Club/horse show world for awhile but I asked a few people & no one else had ever heard of it either, so I turned to the trusty Chronicle forums.
    2. I was aghast that my question might have influenced the outcome of her childrens' ratings. (Fortunately for all involved, they ultimately decided to do the rating elsewhere.)
    3. I never posted the name of the facility, the state it's in, or any other identifying factors. Believe it or not, I don't even know where it is.
    4. I definitely did not post this question to be a snark, or with any ulterior motives: I seriously had never heard of this policy or anything like it. Having said that, I appreciate those people who defended me on this thread!

56 members found this post helpful.