The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Wow, this is a first world problem.

Sure, barn owner sets the rules. But if I were a barn owner, I sure wouldn't have such a rule. And I suppose if I were concerned about my pricey footing being hogged up, I would not offer to host events. My thinking being, if you don't like horse pee or poop, don't own or hang out with horses!

I perceive there are 'undercurrents' unrelated to this issue, but still.

16 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like it might not be suited as a show/evaluation venue even if you could control horses bodily functions. Setting up fences, foot traffic, multiple horses, etc. might disturb/damage such a unique footing despite the precautionary steps taken.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Sounds like it might not be suited as a show/evaluation venue even if you could control horses bodily functions. Setting up fences, foot traffic, multiple horses, etc. might disturb/damage such a unique footing despite the precautionary steps taken.
    I'm kinda thinking...if it's the same footing as used at Devon, it should maybe be able to handle some horses being on it?

16 members found this post helpful.

Actually - seriously - what is so special about Devon's footing and how do they manage it? What is the point of such precious stuff, and are they outdoors?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    Thanks to Laurirace's sig line here are some pix of the place in question on her FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/McDow...s/189840138971
    ETA the way I knew it is the place is because some commentary on the pictures posted March 2 referenced it being a private facility where a pony club meeting occurs/or will occur. And, having seen a picture of the arena, that plus my sleuthing skills = this appaers to be the place?: http://www.horsepenhill.com/facilities.html If not, then pretty amazing that more than one place would boast of their footing made of sand, rubber and fiber, designed to hold moisture.
    I'm always astounded by people on COTH who are so desperate to "out" someone or something that they go nosing around on the internet to find evidence. What did you hope to gain from that?

21 members found this post helpful.

I don't know huntmeet so don't know her motive for posting - was it genuinely to ask advice or stir the pot - no idea.

I don't know Laurirace in person, but I do read her posts and always find her to be knowledgeable, pragmatic, kind and honest. When I was looking for a blanket for a new foster horse that came in, Laurirace sent me a beautiful, brand new blanket free and paid for the postage. My feeling is that if she says there is a lot more to the story than meets the eye, we should believe it. She's been around here a lot longer than the OP and I would suspect that most people here have seldom found reason to question or criticise her posts.

Laurirace- I'm sorry this has turned into such a drama for you and your friend.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    I'm always astounded by people on COTH who are so desperate to "out" someone or something that they go nosing around on the internet to find evidence. What did you hope to gain from that?
    Nothing much probably.
    But it should illustrate the point that the owner of the facility was not named in the original post, only Laurie's insistence on defending her put the barn on the map.
    So what we have gained is the knowledge of leaving well enough alone, without getting mad at a simple question to a point of 'spitting nails' and threatening 10 year old kids and their parents, which BTW has taken this from a simple question straight up to surreal theater.

And we have accomplished now that Laurie has outed her friend as the lady who does not want ponies to pee in her arena and will charge little kids to prevent it.

It's all good.

But if we only knew......

You know, the other more-than-half of the story....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

15 members found this post helpful.

Yup - Lauri's posts have always been quite reasonable .. this sounds a bit out of character, but I doubt the OP posted to troll. We don't know the backstory because we are not told it...but the OP did quote the e-mail...

Regarding sleuthing - there have been some very interesting sleuths on here in the past, enough to blow my mind at how clever some folks are, and bear in mind, all taken from a public forum.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

2 members found this post helpful.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    In an AKC dog show, if a dog eliminates in the ring, you are disqualified.
    Ah, double elimination.

For real drama,( ) consider these two incidents.
    1. Many years ago at the Arabian/Half Arabian National Championships held that year in Louisville, Ky, it was Friday evening and me 'n my horse(the amazing Mr. Tezrik) were in the Semi-final/Finals for Half-Arabian HUS. We were in the main arena and there were many thousands of spectators present. We ride into the line-up and as the judges approach us and I set my horse up to rein back, he promptly stretches out and starts to pee. Now this isn't just an ordinary elimination, its more like Niagara Falls interpreted by the Energizer Bunny, eg: he keeps going and going..... The ringmen rush over and try to contain the growing pond by kicking the green sawdust footing up around it. The call judge calmly asks if it would be OK with me if she went down the line-up and then came back to me when the horse was done. I said, "Yes, of course". Eventually she returned and as my horse was now done with his impromptu performance, he did a nice rein back. When he returned to the line-up, the crowd gave him a standing ovation.

2. The following year me 'n the horse were riding in the local 4th of July parade. We got to the awards presentation stand located at the end of the parade route. The road was a crowned four lane one and the spectators were crowded up to the very edges/curbs. The first row of people were sitting with their feet over the curb down onto the roadway. We stopped to be introduced and receive an award, and yep, you guessed it, true to form, the amazing Mr. T stretched out, dropped out and, two things happened. First, a little girl turned to her mom and in sotto voce of about 200 decibels and said, "mommy, what's that thing hanging under that horse?" Simultaneously, Mr. T performed an impromptu repeat of his National HUS line-up act. Unfortunately, with the road being crowned everything quickly ran to the curbs. Even more unfortunately, the crowd was so densely packed that the people sitting at the curb couldn't get to their feet to get them off the street. Some couldn't lift their feet and hold them in that position until the urine made it to the sewer grates. It was all I could do to keep a straight face especially when Mr. T raised his head and performed a Flehmen reflex.

And no, we didn't get fined or ordered off, in either case.

22 members found this post helpful.

This is an absolutely ridiculous thread. I'd never in a million years attend or participate in a venue with penalties for animal piss.

And clearly some people spend waaaaay too much time online.

Just for fun....one place I'd NEVER seen a horse pee was in the winner's circle. Until Zenyatta's retirement ceremony at Hollywood Park. My dad goes "....what's she doing?" And I said "it LOOKS like she wants to pee?"

Boom.

Consecrated.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Nothing much probably.
    But it should illustrate the point that the owner of the facility was not named in the original post, only Laurie's insistence on defending her put the barn on the map. ...

But if we only knew......

You know, the other more-than-half of the story....
    Well, now due to her friend's intervention not only do we know the facility, but are wondering who at that place might be dying and/or in a coma. This is without a doubt one of the weirder threads I've seen here, and the half-hints about the allegedly non-pee source of the heart-breakingness really only fuel interest.

20 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Well, now due to her friend's intervention not only do we know the facility, but are wondering who at that place might be dying and/or in a coma. This is without a doubt one of the weirder threads I've seen here, and the half-hints about the allegedly non-pee source of the heart-breakingness really only fuel interest.
    we can all pack a box lunch, containing wine and popcorn and head out for a road trip tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

7 members found this post helpful.

The wording of the "no pee in the indoor" rule (and apparently the outdoor as well), could have been better considered.
    It IS Pony Club and they ARE kids, probably nervous kids.

Whatever benevolence your friend believes she is showing by hosting this event is unfortunately not apparent to most people,who don't know her and have no way of knowing whatever heartbreaking circumstances surround her during this PONY CLUB RATING.

Whatever the tragedy in your life ,(and haven't we all been through the horrors?)
    it is unwise to take on more than you can handle emotionally.

Threatening pony clubbers with fines if their ponies pee IS a little on the weird side really.

Very nice to offer one's facility however the "fit" doesn't seem right.

This thread is bizarre for those of us who have no idea what is going on..

Laurierace you don't seem like yourself and I hope everything works out for the best for you and your friend. Honestly, from here it sounds as if there is too much stress going on over this PONY CLUB rating..

27 members found this post helpful.

Echo Skydy.

There is obviously more to this situation than Laurierace is willing to discuss but I cannot think of any reason that an accidental equine urination in an indoor OR outdoor arena = large fines and removal from property = heartbreaking tragedy of unspeakable proportions. Perhaps I should consult my Magic 8 Ball on this one...

27 members found this post helpful.

Oh my.
    Heaven forbid an animal should be an animal and relieve itself when it needs too, no matter where it is.
    I remember thinking it odd, when, a few years ago I was at drill team practice and the drill coach said that if your horse urinates, you must jump off and cover up the pee spot with surrounding dirt....So this whole "you'll be fined", "it's bad behaviour", for horses to pee in arenas is just ABSURD.

I can somewhat understand the teaching them to pee before a workout (racehorses, etc.) but that cannot be good for their health, having to be TOLD to pee in order for them to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Dogs are not horses.
    Dogs eliminate maybe twice a day, horses maybe twice an hour?

You can't expect the same bathroom habits from a horse than you do from a dog.
    If you have a horse that urinates twice an hour, please have the vet out to do kidney function tests - this is completely atypical equine elimination behaviour.

Originally posted by huntmeet
    But there was one condition: "Under no circumstances will any horse be allowed to urinate in either the indoor or outdoor arenas. Any owner who permits their horse to urinate will be fined $100 and asked to leave the premises immediately."

5 members found this post helpful.

And for those who feel the riders are not capable of asking their horse to walk off (or perhaps not capable of feeling when their horse is preparing to urinate)
    - perhaps you should review the D2 Level Standards

D2 Standards
    Balancing and suppling exercises at walk.
    Independent mount and dismount.
    Adjust girth while mounted at halt.
    Walk on a loose rein and with light contact.
    Correct position at walk, trot and canter.
    Knowledge of trot diagonals.
    Upward and downward transitions.
    Sitting trot with and without stirrups.
    Use of Natural Aids to produce and maintain forward movement.
    Large circles - at walk, at rising trot with correct use of diagonals and at canter with correct lead.
    Trot over poles on the ground followed by small jump (2'6" maximum).
    Simple stadium course (2'6" maximum). Course to include at least 5 fences with a minimum of one ascending oxer and one change of direction. (1/3 of the fences to be at maximum height)
    Ride over varied terrain, jump small jumps (2'6" maximum) in the open. Control. Jump 3 - 4 fences over relatively flat terrain; simple verticals and logs.

Having never been privy to a horse stopping mid course or (dressage) test to urinate, this seems a rather extraordinary tempest in a teapot

I was having the same OMG reaction until I read Laurierace's response. I don't think I've ever seen a normal horse urinate in an arena. Seriously, people, tell me the last time you did.

I agree with Skydy. The wording was really what killed it. It's kinda weird but it is her facility and her rules. How about, the footing is very expensive, etc., please make every effort to insure that your horse does not pee in the arena. Costs $xx to replace pee spots. NOT- fined 100 and kicked off property.

Honestly, the thread probably would have been, yeah that's weird! if Laurie hadn't chimed in. Now it's here's the facility and what the hell else is going on? Might have been best to let this one just die out...

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    You couldn't be more off base if you tried. Ever heard, my facility, my rules? Not to mention they already said they weren't bringing the horses so it is a non-issue so why bash her on the internet? By the way, I was there all day yesterday and nobody had any trouble peeing in the ring.
    It is simply unreasonable. Try to avoid it yes, Fine and toss out a pony clubber. I would not set foot on her " Million dollar Footing" Outrageous!~~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

11 members found this post helpful.