The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Actually - seriously - what is so special about Devon's footing and how do they manage it? What is the point of such precious stuff, and are they outdoors?
    I don't know what is so special about it. And considering that it rains almost the entire week of the show every year, why can't this other 1 million dollar footing handle a little horse pee?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    I don't know what is so special about it. And considering that it rains almost the entire week of the show every year, why can't this other 1 million dollar footing handle a little horse pee?
    Now I'm feeling a little defensive about the Devon footing

It was VERY EXPENSIVE. That being said, it can withstand things like rain and manure and urine. The subject of the OP has decided SHE doesn't want urine on her footing (which may well be the same poel's footing as at Devon, I have no idea because I don't know who we're talking about) but that's her decision and not because the footing can't handle it.

Trust me, that footing sees everything a horse show footing can see. And survives.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Now I'm feeling a little defensive about the Devon footing

It was VERY EXPENSIVE. That being said, it can withstand things like rain and manure and urine. The subject of the OP has decided SHE doesn't want urine on her footing (which may well be the same poel's footing as at Devon, I have no idea because I don't know who we're talking about) but that's her decision and not because the footing can't handle it.

Trust me, that footing sees everything a horse show footing can see. And survives.
    And the Devon footing was fine 50 years ago when it was the Wanamker Oval. Guess they had to put in special footing to protect all the hot house flowers around nowadays. Times have surely changed.

I am just SO curious as to what the heartbreaking issue is on the owner of the 1 million dollar footing. Let's see, perhaps she has a massive phobia about urine that leaves her incapacitated? Maybe she equates her area flooring to her living room flooring and can't emotionally handle it being soiled? Maybe it brings back childhood night terrors? Just what is it?

7 members found this post helpful.

There are plenty of scenarios that can cover the barn owner situation. Please dont be cruel.
    Someone could be dieing, wanted to be generous but anticipating needing to sell property needs it in pristine condition. Thats one scenario. It doesn't matter and doesnt further the original post "is this common" question.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    And the Devon footing was fine 50 years ago when it was the Wanamker Oval. Guess they had to put in special footing to protect all the hot house flowers around nowadays. Times have surely changed.

I am just SO curious as to what the heartbreaking issue is on the owner of the 1 million dollar footing. Let's see, perhaps she has a massive phobia about urine that leaves her incapacitated? Maybe she equates her area flooring to her living room flooring and can't emotionally handle it being soiled? Maybe it brings back childhood night terrors? Just what is it?
    There were lots of reasons to put in the new footing. For one thing, it drains absolutely beautifully. You'd have to walk on it to see what I mean but it can be just POURING down rain and the footing feels fantastic. It also seems much easier to maintain, at least to me (but then again I don't have to drive the tractor).
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

I've got a knack for killing threads, and if ever there was one that needed to die, it's this one. It did provide fascinating reading while I've been home with the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    There are plenty of scenarios that can cover the barn owner situation. Please dont be cruel.
    Someone could be dieing, wanted to be generous but anticipating needing to sell property needs it in pristine condition. Thats one scenario. It doesn't matter and doesnt further the original post "is this common" question.
    Yes, you are correct.

It's still an odd request from anyone who works with horses.

3 members found this post helpful.

I just feel the need to post on this amazing thread.

I'm wondering if the footing is super fluffy or something that horses want to pee on it. My old guy almost never goes potty under saddle... he's pooped I think twice in 7 years. He's also peed twice--once at a show that we'd been at for hours; once on a trail ride after he'd been turned out for many hours without getting to go in his stall... he will NOT pee in turnout, the ground is too hard for him, but if he has to go, he'll go the moment he gets in his stall.

How long do pony club ratings take? I would think that unless you need to have your horse out and about for hours at a time, peeing would be a nonissue.

I'm also wondering about the soupy poop issue. It's not urine, but IMO it's grosser than urine and harder to clean.

Laurie, I hope you're okay; your posts here have been very out of character.

OP, I hope this trainwreck hasn't traumatized you.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Flying fruit bat.
    what?
    considering that I did in fact not post a thing for 2 pages, you attack me now?
    Have you fallen on your head?
    touché

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    They clearly wanted to make sure the thread was right on the top of page 1 when the morning crowd showed up.
    It wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Must have been...
    Is it too early to pour coffee in my Bailey's?
    For you, never

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a normal horse urinate in an arena. Seriously, people, tell me the last time you did.
    Yesterday during a dressage clinic at a very nice facility.

My trainer was hand walking my very normal horse around the arena to let him get a good look at it before she mounted -- horse is green and it was only his fourth or fifth time off the farm. And ... horse peed. I was standing next to the barn owner. She saw him do it and didn't faint or cry.

And no one ran at him clapping and shouting either, thank heavens.

13 members found this post helpful.

I showed a gelding who would get antsy in the line up at a horse show. he'd drop and pee, every single time. And being a Smarta(pp), he'd ignore my kicks and corrections to step up and stop embarrassing my 14 YO self.

But that was nearly 40 years ago. I'm sure evolution has eliminated that wish to eliminate at will.

To answer the OP's actual initial question, No, I've never heard of such a strict ruling, especially with such a fine (fining CHILDREN??) , especially stating that a CHILD would be eliminated for the HORSE peeing.

I've ridden in Pony Club contests as a kid here in the USA as well as in several European locations, and I've never heard of a rule like it.

Of course, I participated in this kind of fun activity back in the Dark Ages, so I guess things have really changed, at least where you are located. Here where I live it is (thankfully) not part of the local Pony Club rules anyplace that I am aware of.

I get that the person who owns this private facility can make her own rules for her own facility, that she has a super special surface in her arena and doesn't want it constantly made nasty (of course, the fact that living beings are moving around on it instead of tractors, well, might make a difference?). Totally understandable that she may have her own rules and opinions, but then she should not be hosting a Pony Club meet with so many other people and their horses there, she should keep it to a low number of personally invited people who have horses that can be "trusted" or "trained" not to pee.

I certainly do not remember that aspect (being trained NOT to pee) as being part of the goal of "Learning to manage your horse in a well mannered way" which was part of the British Pony Club I was part of for some years. Maybe this is now part of it, but I had not heard this as being an expected "rule".

I would be very concerned if indeed there were ever multiple people rushing out waving arms and hollering at my niece and her pony if by chance her pony misbehaved! The decades I spent in litigation work just bring to mind any number of horror scenarios which actually COULD be "heart breaking"...like the time a couple of other kids (not participating but in the audience") shot rubber bands at the rump of a competing horse/child and the horse went nuts, tossing the child and in said accident caused the child to be blinded. Encouraging people to rush out and wave or holler at a pony with a relatively inexperienced kid riding it is BEYOND foolish, and in regards to what it is trying to stop (an ANIMAL relieving itself) is just so unbelievably jaw dropping I have a hard time understanding such "rules".

I have NO idea what the "back story" is that is "so heartbreaking" or why the OP's question even bears on that information (which most of us here have no clue about and so are not making our opinions made about that information but ONLY on the initial question of "have you heard of this?"), so Laurie I think it's a good idea to just step back a bit and get a forest/trees view of this thread. NO ONE meant any harm to your friend from all of the eleven pages I have read so far, mostly because we have NO idea who she is or what the circumstances are which you have brought out as "heartbreaking". How horses peeing in an arena relates to someone's heartbreaking personal circumstances I can't understand, but I don't think the folks here meant one ounce of harm to your friend. I'm sorry she's got a bad situation or bad things happening in her life, but I seriously doubt the OP's question bore any relation to that...it was just a "have you heard of this sort of rule?" question.

At any rate, as to the original question and the "sense" of it, nope, count me and mine out of a Pony Club which is so strict that if the pony pees my niece is fined $100 (and/or risks people running at her and the pony waving and hollering)! Criminy, get a bag of PDZ and use some elbow grease with a rake...in two seconds it's all done and fixed for heaven's sake. That is what we did in all the pony clubs I have been around, and for years that is what we still do in my own arena, and I don't understand the extreme rule in light of the fact that this entire activity is supposed to be fun, educational and character building for CHILDREN. If that is truly a "million dollar surface", then she should not have kids there.

18 members found this post helpful.

Don't post when you're angry. Take some time to calm down and think before you type. If you come across as rational and professional, there will be a lot more respect for both you and your friend. Remember, you're representing your friend here as she is not here to provide her input. Why not depict the both of you as polite and respectful, rather than defensive and hostile?

Regardless of how your friend worded her rules, you're the one who chose how to defend them. If you wanted to make a public statement, you could have said something along the lines of, "Hey everyone, I understand why you may think these rules are silly or unreasonable but please try not to be cruel in discussing them. The owner is a friend of mine and this subject is making me a little uncomfortable. I assure you that there are valid reasons behind her rules, but they are private. I don't think that she meant her wording or her rules to be so controversial and she only has good intentions in hosting this rating. We're looking forward to the event; please PM me with any other issues or questions. Thanks." Keep it neutral and professional, and then ignore anyone else trolling the thread for a trainwreck and PM the poster if they get a little too personal.

We all know how to not take anger out on our horses. Maybe we should try to give COTH posters the same consideration.

I haven't had my account for long but I have lurked here for many years and have always enjoyed reading your posts. I hope that everything is okay.

The Devon footing is also same footing at KY Horse Park it is Way Better than any footing the Old Devon ever had....and is not a Million $$$$ unless you are including site grading etc.....also seriously if a pony has to Pee all you need are a few strategically positioned buckets and just catch it......urine in itself is sterile leaving the body and the ammonia will evaporate quickly in sun and air outdoors..indoors just dilute with a few buckets of water......Laurie tell your friend to take a deep breathe or withdrawal her offer otherwise give her a drink and some Downton Abbey DVD s until rating is over....

4 members found this post helpful.

My mildly entertaining indoor arena pee story (if this doesn't kill this thread, nothing will):

Some number of moons ago, I was showing at a Montana fairgrounds. The jumping was after all the rail classes, and at some point someone's horse took a copious whiz in the ring. That indoor certainly did not have million dollar footing (I don't think the fairgrounds had a million dollar budget). Anyhoo, we were tooling around the jump course, we hit that pee spot and the traction control went out the window! Hind end slid out from under him, I lost my stirrups, but managed to make our last two fences. I don't think anyone got fined, and I thought I was hot $#!* for staying on and finishing.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I realize it appeared as if I was going to hold this against the children but that isn't the case. I was just trying to illustrate that you don't know who you are venting to on the internet. I was already very upset over this whole situation and this thread more or less pushed me over the edge. Don't hold my emotions against pony club nor the barn owner who undoubtedly has handled this better than I have. Suffice to say, my heart is broken and this shattered the pieces into smaller pieces. I consider it to be the ultimate in the adage that no good deed goes unpunished and that makes me very sad.
    Your heart is broken over pee?
    Whackadoodle !!

Many shows have expensive footing and nobody gets fined or threatened over pee or poop.

$hit ( and pee) happen.

What a sad thread, really. People piling on one side or the other.

The only thing I can offer (not an opinion on either side) is that I have an indoor with very nice footing (not $1 million, but I've had more than a few FEI GP riders, and even a few former Olympians who did clinic here ask me for the make up of the footing...little brag).

That said, I've had two geldings that just HAVE to pee before they to work. They know they are going to work once they are groomed, saddled and bridled.

One, when being walked around the indoor will drop and pee..then he's ready for work. If you don't let him do that he just doesn't work as well.

The other, after tacking up would suck back on warm up unless you took him back to his stall where he would immediately pee...then get down to work back in the indoor.

Don't ask me why! But I often laughed about how these two guys just had to get rid of their bladder before doing serious work. They seemed to know they needed to do that.

And of course, I've had many others that were in hard work that would poop at the mounting block prior to getting on. I loved that. They pooped in one spot and never ever pooped while u/s strewing it around the arena and running over it. Surely made my life easier.

Some horses yawn alot -- my GP stallion Boleem did (about 25 times) as a few other worker bees -- prior to being bitted as if to get quid out of their teeth. Others pee, others poop before being ridden. It's like they want to be clean of all other physical encumberances to do their job.

If I were an athlete that was serious about my performance, I'd probably do the same thing...but more discretely being the human that I am.

FWIW.

3 members found this post helpful.

As the OP's question is clearly answered, and folks have had ample opportunity to discuss some of the tangential issues that emerged on this thread, and there are clearly issues at play that will not be made public in order to shed light on the situation, we're going to close the thread.

Good luck to the kids going for their ratings and best wishes for those evidently facing some tough times.

Mod 1