The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

My pony held up the jog more than once because he LOVED to pee in the ring. He didn't care about how classy the joint was, either. He held up Upperville a couple of times!

What would the consequences be for a soupy poopy? Those are a little harder to feel coming on than a pee stop. And I imagine they discolor fancy footing worse, too.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

8 members found this post helpful.

I know Laurie keeps saying it's not Horsepen Hill Farm, but IF it was.. I wouldn't be surprised..
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPeep View Post
    Are you fined $100 and kicked off the premise at Devon for a horse peeing in the ring? I just don't understand how you can prevent a horse from peeing. It doesn't know it's on million dollar footing. Does the same rule apply for poop?
    No, plenty of horses peed on the footing at Devon. I've seen it happen. The footing seems to be ok. Plenty of poop. And rain. And one year we had problems with the gutters and flooding. And even the ocassional bit of spilled food or drink. It's fine.

Look, her barn, her rules. I get it. But if you're going to have rules like that, you can't really host a public event for children. It's not realistic.

That being said, I agree starting a thread on it was a bit rude to the extent that it made it somewhat clear who/where was being discussed (which I don't think it actually did).

But look, if I have a house full of bone china I want in one piece, I don't agree to host tumble tots. If you don't want any pee in the footing, you might not want to invite people over to ride.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

4 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

I find no fault with the BO for setting rules such as this; it's their place, so anyone else's feelings of "How odd/wrong/stupid!" really don't matter.

What is wrong IMHO is extending an offer to the exact group most likely to be unable to comply with those rules; young, beginner riders, and then threaten to humiliate them by fining them and kicking them out when they are unable to comply.

Now, if the offer was for the grassy areas with the pristine-footed arenas off limits, that would make more sense. And for all we know, the BO could have offered that, and someone within the Pony Club assured them that there wouldn't be accidents. If that was the case, the person in the Pony Club is at fault for not making the situation clear to everyone involved before parents had to find out when getting directions.

Regardless, I am disgusted that someone here, with show horses of their own, felt the need to insinuate that they were likely to take their feelings out on the kids of a friend of the OP when judging them. That was incredibly immature and classless.

27 members found this post helpful.

This has me thinking.
    When I was a kid I remember horses peeing while mounted frequently enough that it was not even a blip on the radar. However in the last 20 years(omg I am getting old) I have not had it happen even once and at times I was riding 3-4 horses a day. Is this other peoples experience also?

I wonder if this is due to a heavier rider or the fact that when I am riding the horses are actively focused on what they are being asked to do more than when I was a kid and was going round and round on the rail.

Any theories?

I wish my only problems were similar to this.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    This has me thinking.
    When I was a kid I remember horses peeing while mounted frequently enough that it was not even a blip on the radar. However in the last 20 years(omg I am getting old) I have not had it happen even once and at times I was riding 3-4 horses a day. Is this other peoples experience also?
    Do you coool out the horse with a 10 minute walk at the end of the ride? That is when I find them most likley to urinate under saddle.

Or when standing around waiting our turn in a group jumping lesson.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

3 members found this post helpful.

Children of the 1980's we know the truth!! Dear Friend has chopped up Gremlins for footing. Come on, remember THOSE Rules - including "Don't get em' wet" or mayhem will ensue.
    Laurie, bless your heart, sometimes it is best to step away from the keyboard. You didn't have a dog in this fight until you threw yourself into it. Now hush, and let the DC of the pony club sort it out with the farm owner. Volunteering is a wonderful thing, but as a volunteer, your opinions are best left in your car.
    For your own edification, may I suggest that you and your Dear Friend do not ever attend Hunt Teams night at Devon - when, during a break in the classes, the Radnor Hunt staff parades 10 couple of hounds. The hounds poop and pee and roll in the magic carpet footing of Devon.
    Perhaps it is best not to offer the "Devon Footing" reference unless there is a shred of causation to back up your allusion.
    Gremlins it is. That's my story, and I'm stickin' with it.

33 members found this post helpful.

Phew. What a thread. IMO, the "no peeing" rule is odd. The ramifications, inappropriate.

But what I keep wondering is why someone would use (and shell out a lot of $$ for) footing, no matter if it was used by 20 horses everyday or one horse once a month, that would cause so much anguish if it happened to get peed on - a normal, often unplanned, bodily function of the very animal the footing is supposedly designed for???

Further, when is it, under any circumstances, EVER appropriate to run into an arena clapping, yelling, whatever while children (or Olympic gold medalists for that matter) are mounted on horses/ponies?!

What the fruitbat x 2
    Last edited by wcporter; Mar. 5, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaMockingbird View Post
    If Laurie had exercised any kind of tact when she responded or (and I know this is a totally CRAZY idea) not said anything at all, none of this ensuing drama would have happened. If you come out guns ablazing over what 99.99999% of people would think is a totally reasonable thing to ask, don't be surprised when people think you are totally unprofessional and out of line. There may very well be some explanation for her multiple outbursts (though nothing that makes it excusable) but that's why you have to act like an adult sometimes and think instead of just reacting.

The rule and the way it was phrased is totally ridiculous. There are probably multiple PC parents wondering the same thing but this one happened to be on COTH. If Laurie is so sure she knows who posted this and their supposed ulterior motives, she should have taken up this issue with that individual directly instead of threatening PC kids on a public forum, where any other participant would see it. For all she knows, it could be a different person entirely and she went off the deep end over a truly innocent question.

It's crazy that a barn owner is willing to embarrass a young child to the point of possibly souring them to horses in general after such poor treatment. Or even risking a law suit if a child gets hurt after they spook a horse about to relieve itself.
    Exactly. This is the best post on this thread so far. How 'nice' to know that my sleuthing did not find the right place. I think it would be very interesting to know exactly ** who ** is so idiotic that they would fine someone for an animal urinating, or worse, risk injury to a child by spooking the critter in an attempt to stem the tide, as it were. ETA, knowing exactly which facility this is could prevent someone from inadvertently ever participating in any equestrian event at that venue.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Mar. 5, 2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: clarity
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

12 members found this post helpful.

Being one of those eternal Pony Club types who has extensive experience at all levels of the organization, I would stress most strongly that we only chose
    examiners, instructors, judges, etc. who were firmly on the kids' side and who would try their hardest to give the kids a supporting and instructional time and not set them up to have their foreheads branded with the word "Fail".

We actually, in our region, had a 1% rule, meaning, that if an exam came in with the kid failing by 1 or 2 %, the examiner would try their hardest to find that missing percentage to bring them up to a Pass. It is notlife or death, a point or two can usually be found! Kid is successful, confidence built and keener than ever on Pony Club.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

7 members found this post helpful.

sdlbredfan, No, it is not even remotely important for the larger COTH forum to know who the BO is. This is nothing like outing a fraudulent rescue or dishonest trainer/shipper/trader, which conceivably helps other people avoid getting duped. The farm in question put their policy in plain view on a brochure, no matter how poorly worded it may be. No one is getting tricked-- anyone actually connected to the event knows full well what the rules are in advance, and can choose to attend or not. And no one actually ran out clapping and yelling at any kids on ponies. We have no idea if that statement was actually even made-- was it exaggerated, was it maybe said in a joking way? Doesn't matter because outside of that group of people invited to the event, none of us here is affected or at risk, and we don't need to be hysterically alerted with GPS coordinates. Why go out of your way to embarrass and damage someone you've never met, who isn't participating in this conversation and who did nothing more than state her rules in a harsh tone? Especially given the suggestion that there is a very serious, sad backstory that affects this BO. Please don't pursue the "sleuthing". It's not right.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

9 members found this post helpful.

wow. this is how I view this mess:
    1. A parent posted about a seemingly crazy rule wanting to know if it was common.
    2. COTH, bless its heart, did its thing and ran it into a controversy.
    3. Someone threatened retaliation in a judging situation.

IMO, numbers 1 and 2 are to be expected. #3 is appalling, even by COTH standards.

L

23 members found this post helpful.

..er, no, number 2 happened because someone jumped in and caused it to become a trainwreck.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

11 members found this post helpful.

OK, let's take ALL the fun out of it for the kids. This is totally ridiculous.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LET.IT.GO.

The facility was not mentioned
    the owner was not mentioned
    no name calling was done.

seriously!
    Are you feeling well?
    I have read some strong stuff from you, but this is certainly from far out of left field!

We don't know what facility it is. Frankly I don't care.

let me repeat: YOU, and you alone saddled this drama llama, rode it into a lather and you still keep on kicking it.
    Give it a rest, have some wine....
    & you naturally had no part in any of this ... other than authoritatively (sic) telling others how to comport themselves ... shame you didn't take your own advice, multiple posts back.

For someone who doesn't care, you seem remarkably dedicated to getting in the final decree.

Flog any dead horses much?

LET.IT.GO.
    why didn't you?
    I have read some strong stuff from you
    my sentiments exactly - with you as the object

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    & you naturally had no part in any of this ... other than authoritatively (sic) telling others how to comport themselves ... shame you didn't take your own advice, multiple posts back.

For someone who doesn't care, you seem remarkably dedicated to getting in the final decree.

Flog any dead horses much?

why didn't you?

my sentiments exactly - with you as the object
    Flying fruit bat.
    what?
    considering that I did in fact not post a thing for 2 pages, you attack me now?
    Have you fallen on your head?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Have you fallen on your head?
    They clearly wanted to make sure the thread was right on the top of page 1 when the morning crowd showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    They clearly wanted to make sure the thread was right on the top of page 1 when the morning crowd showed up.
    Must have been...
    Is it too early to pour coffee in my Bailey's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    My pony held up the jog more than once because he LOVED to pee in the ring. He didn't care about how classy the joint was, either. He held up Upperville a couple of times!

What would the consequences be for a soupy poopy? Those are a little harder to feel coming on than a pee stop. And I imagine they discolor fancy footing worse, too.
    That was my concern too - my mare gets the anxiety squirts - much nastier than pee.

1 members found this post helpful.