The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Wow, this has all gotten pretty silly. Do I think the rule is a little silly in itself? Yes, but it is her place so no matter how silly or crazy it may seem to us that's the rules. I have had horses relieve themselves on trails but never in an arena. I'm sure it happens but probably not so common. All the shows I've shown and been to I've never seen it happen.

I would though be pretty ticked off if a group of people charged by dd on her pony in an arena because he looks as if he is going to pee. That is just really dangerous and they need to figure out a better way to deal with the problem. My DDs pony is head shy. Has been since we got him 6 years ago. Can't seem to break that habit. He is one of the best ponies and takes care of her but if people were running at him waving their arms and clapping etc he'd probably freak out.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

2 members found this post helpful.

OP, you've done nothing wrong and asked a legitimate question. At that level, it is an absurd rule. And the $100 fine is absolutely beyond outrageous.

The only thing that I'm going to say on the subject of the arena footing is this: I am building 2 arenas; one covered and one outdoor. Both arenas are 100x200. The covered arena is a steel structure. I have high privacy hedges and fencing going in around the outdoor and fencing going around the covered arena. My footing is being imported entirely from Europe. It is superior to anything that Devon or any other horse show venue I've attended in the USA has ever provided. My point in sharing this is that the cost of ALL of this (BOTH arenas, all landscaping, the steel structure, ALL labor, etc.) is less than HALF of what you are claiming your friend paid to foot two rings. So either your friend was so majorly ripped off and now needs the $100/horse that pees fee to pay back her loan or you are exaggerating in a BIG way. Just sayin'.

And if I didn't want to risk the chance of a horse being :::gasp!::: a horse in my arenas, I wouldn't have built them. And yes, my facility is private too...and I would open it to a clinic without hesitation or threats of penalties if someone asked.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

33 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    I don't know Laurirace in person, but I do read her posts and always find her to be knowledgeable, pragmatic, kind and honest. My feeling is that if she says there is a lot more to the story than meets the eye, we should believe it. She's been around here a lot longer than the OP and I would suspect that most people here have seldom found reason to question or criticise her posts.

Laurirace- I'm sorry this has turned into such a drama for you and your friend.
    Lots of wisdom and kindness here. I'll admit that my first reaction to the rules the OP posted was and I don't doubt that anyone not in-the-know would feel the same way. However, the vitriol expressed here along with the assumption that there couldn't possibly be any back story or that the FancyFarmOwner is just a neurotic meanie pants is utterly ridiculous. People, tone it down. It's threads like this that get COTH it's reputation of being a BB run by a hostile clique. When/if the full story is divulged, then the pile-on may or may not be deserved, but for now, it's just uncalled for.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Lots of wisdom and kindness here. I'll admit that my first reaction to the rules the OP posted was and I don't doubt that anyone not in-the-know would feel the same way. However, the vitriol expressed here along with the assumption that there couldn't possibly be any back story or that the FancyFarmOwner is just a neurotic meanie pants is utterly ridiculous. People, tone it down. It's threads like this that get COTH it's reputation of being a BB run by a hostile clique. When/if the full story is divulged, then the pile-on may or may not be deserved, but for now, it's just uncalled for.
    Oh good grief.
    While I am prepared to eat crow, the back story has most likely nothing to do with the question.

The question involved pee in the arena, and a BO offering to run up at kids on ponies, clapping and yelling.
    and a stiff fine and dismissal from the premises...

No farm was mentioned. Hardly a soul would have bothered if it had not been for Laurie attacking the OP.
    Sure, there is probably more. If it wasn't, there is now.

Laurie has been around for a long time.
    As have I.
    I would not expect anybody to just take my word for anything, especially if all I had to offer were attacks and 'you don't know the half of it'

Whatever respect I did have for Laurie - and I have read a few hum-dingers from her in the past as well - pretty much evaporated.

Of course, I also had held out hope that this morning she would come on and explain that she had a house guest taking liberties with her computer....

Pile on?
    Did not happen until the challenges were issued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

42 members found this post helpful.

Well said, my feelings exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    sorry, I'm in Canada & those are the Canadian standards
    Ah. I had three kids in Pony Club, in the US, and I was thinking, gee, those are pretty steep changes in the standards! And here I thought Pony Club was dumbing things down, not making it harder!

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    ^This
    I'm rather nonplussed at the meanness displayed by some of the posters in this thread

6 members found this post helpful.

Sooo what if my mare squirts in the arena because she's in heat. It's not technically urinating....

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    ^This
    I'm rather nonplussed at the meanness displayed by some of the posters in this thread
    You do not think it is mean to threaten a ponyclubber (Laurie's posts were threats, there really is no other way to read them) or embarrass them because their pony had the audacity to urinate?

23 members found this post helpful.

Laurie has obviously gotten some undue vitriol here, as there is clearly a difficult backstory that really is none of our business. And I don't think it helps anybody to try to identify the individuals.

I myself think the rule is a bit odd and not something I would be entirely comfortable with. BUT last I checked, nobody is perfect. And if you decide to attend at this (private) facility, you take the good with the bad. No harm in asking, though.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You do not think it is mean to threaten a ponyclubber (Laurie's posts were threats, there really is no other way to read them) or embarrass them because their pony had the audacity to urinate?
    As stated, meanness all around - some have emotional involvement (& spoke rashly) & that I more readily understand, others standing on the outside, far away, might've held to their viewpoints with less vitriol

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Laurie has obviously gotten some undue vitriol here, as there is clearly a difficult backstory that really is none of our business. And I don't think it helps anybody to try to identify the individuals.

I myself think the rule is a bit odd and not something I would be entirely comfortable with. BUT last I checked, nobody is perfect. And if you decide to attend at this (private) facility, you take the good with the bad. No harm in asking, though.
    undue?

one slip of the finger/tongue, yes, we can go with undue.

The allowance though shrinks with each following mishap though.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Wow, this has all gotten pretty silly. Do I think the rule is a little silly in itself? Yes, but it is her place so no matter how silly or crazy it may seem to us that's the rules. I have had horses relieve themselves on trails but never in an arena. I'm sure it happens but probably not so common. All the shows I've shown and been to I've never seen it happen.

I would though be pretty ticked off if a group of people charged by dd on her pony in an arena because he looks as if he is going to pee. That is just really dangerous and they need to figure out a better way to deal with the problem. My DDs pony is head shy. Has been since we got him 6 years ago. Can't seem to break that habit. He is one of the best ponies and takes care of her but if people were running at him waving their arms and clapping etc he'd probably freak out.
    maybe you should go.
    with a little luck you can get a million dollar footing arena...

would suck for the kid though....

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    undue?

one slip of the finger/tongue, yes, we can go with undue.

The allowance though shrinks with each following mishap though.
    I understand your point and I was kind of with you until there was a suggestion of a backstory, except it struck me that Laurie's always come across as very sane on here, so we were tipped off to something else possibly going on. The pile-on went on too long and, in true BB fashion, got too nasty.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

Laurie's always comported herself well here on COTH. The unknown variable is the OP. While Laurie came on strong, I am going to trust that there's something going on here.

I'd rather have a no peeing rule than the unspoken rule that the host's dog may jump all over all comers and lick them to pieces. Cannot STAND a licky dog!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    No, they said the adults would be on the lookout and if a horse appeared to be getting ready to urinate that they would get the child's attention by clapping or whatever and walk the horse a few steps outdoors. Seriously, I am so pissed (pun intended) that I could spit nails.
    Why are you so pissed? Is what the OP stated not true? She doesn't have it posted not allowed to urinate? She doesn't have a 100.00 fine if they do? So what if she posted it, don't see the problem, whether or not she will be there or not. Nothing to get all upset over.

Is weird request though...but would let me know I won't go there. Thanks for the PSA OP!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

11 members found this post helpful.

The backstory is truly irrelevant to the topic of the thread. Even if the OP did something shockingly, heinously horrible to the BO it does not change the answers to the questions: Have you seen this rule before? Do you think it's a weird rule? Unless the backstory is that the BO made this rule specifically because "the-OP-spitefully-pees-in-BO's-arena-and-a-$100-fine-is-the-only-way-to-stop-her", the backstory is not relevant to the topic at hand.

I do feel sorry for Laurie as she's clearly upset. But I don't think it's wrong to politely point out that someone who is acting as a judge (whether at a PC D rally or something "more important") is acting improperly if they suggest that they will be biased against someone they will be judging. Laurie's outburst unfortunately opened this door and I think it would have been weird if no one called her on it.

44 members found this post helpful.

If Laurie had exercised any kind of tact when she responded or (and I know this is a totally CRAZY idea) not said anything at all, none of this ensuing drama would have happened. If you come out guns ablazing over what 99.99999% of people would think is a totally reasonable thing to ask, don't be surprised when people think you are totally unprofessional and out of line. There may very well be some explanation for her multiple outbursts (though nothing that makes it excusable) but that's why you have to act like an adult sometimes and think instead of just reacting.

The rule and the way it was phrased is totally ridiculous. There are probably multiple PC parents wondering the same thing but this one happened to be on COTH. If Laurie is so sure she knows who posted this and their supposed ulterior motives, she should have taken up this issue with that individual directly instead of threatening PC kids on a public forum, where any other participant would see it. For all she knows, it could be a different person entirely and she went off the deep end over a truly innocent question.

It's crazy that a barn owner is willing to embarrass a young child to the point of possibly souring them to horses in general after such poor treatment. Or even risking a law suit if a child gets hurt after they spook a horse about to relieve itself.

35 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    I understand your point and I was kind of with you until there was a suggestion of a backstory, except it struck me that Laurie's always come across as very sane on here, so we were tipped off to something else possibly going on. The pile-on went on too long and, in true BB fashion, got too nasty.
    I don't see where the OP was rude or where the information being questioned has been denied so what does it matter if there is a back story. How does that impact the question of wether this is a common thing or not?

I don't see where the OP named any names and if Laurie had not started getting all worked up, the OP would have gotten their answer and there would probably not be an drama on this thread.

For what it is worth, I have never seen this restriction before and I would think it was odd if I did.

Oh, and I have ridden horses that have peed in the ring.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    That doesn't really coincide with anything said here. If the arena owner is dying, that's quite sad, but it doesn't make this a sensible rule.

I'm suddenly the "parent" of two extra human children and spent the day rehoming their pets that we couldn't absorb into our family. Pee in an arena? Not even hitting my radar.
    Agree^^^^

I have 99 problem and arena piss ain't 1.....

My DH gets mad at little things and I tell him all the time.. is it really that serious? There are so many other things that could be going wrong right now. I guess since the death of my 6yr old son.. nothing seems worth stressing about anymore. Things could be far worse than a bit of tinkle/poo that is going to happen anyway somewhere down the line (more than just once). If you are that stressed about it you shouldn't have put it in to begin with or offer to let others ride on it.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

13 members found this post helpful.