The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

What a thread! But, have to say I LOVED Pony Club and the people involved with it. And our DC was fabulous! I don't remember anything like this, remotely. I also went to Pony club camp up at Woodstock (also fabulous) and my first year there my beloved connemara, who adored jumping but did not like dressage, decided to take a dump in the middle of our test. He just locked it up, hardened his stomach, and there was nothing my little legs could do! I finally just gave up, sat there like an idiot, then petted him, and he eventually started back up. Still had a blast with the xc and stadium rounds. And nobody came running at us! And thankfully my family was not fined! Nor was I banned from the Pony club island!

I have seen horses decide to roll with beginners or little kids on them, particuarly in nice, cool washes in S arizona. We'd yell at the riders "KICK him! He's gonna roll!" but sometimes those old smart horses get their legs buckled before their passenger realizes what's happening, and really just has time to step off!

I boarded at a barn that had a concrete floor for a center aisle. If your horse peed, you'd have to rush off and get a load of sawdust, mix in with the urine, then scoop it off. My horse was a big offender. They told me that most horses won't pee on concrete because they don't like the splash but MY horse of course would pretty much drop and go as soon as I disappeared into the tack room.

OP, this kind of thing is NOT Pony Club! I hope you hang in there with it, it is SO much fun and they teach so much great stuff! And most of the people are great! It is a wonderful opportunity to learn a LOT!

7 members found this post helpful.

I was going to add that as an owner of a star donkeyball player (donkey) I have seen many donkeyball games. In lovely, lovely gymnasiums. And they have a very spritely clean up crew that dashes out and takes care of WHATEVER very quickly. Lots of fun and no one gets fined.

Not that I am comparing the donkeyball games to Devon (never!), nor the gym footing to whatever million dollar thing this woman has, but just saying that things happen and it does not have to be a crisis!

8 members found this post helpful.

It definitely sounded that you were giving veiled threats to the candidates, Laurie. I agree with the poster that suggested the arena should never have been offered, and the quote of the owners' demands was very abrasive and demanding. These are little kids on ponies that are not likely trained to pee on command - that's just ridiculous, assuming that bodily functions are somehow wrong.

Pony Clubbers universally leave the arenas cleaner than they found them, it is a point of pride.

Being a Pony Clubber myself, and raising kids in Pony Club with a grandson
    who maybe on his way to joining, I've done every job in Pony Club. Don't let
    a thread like this put anybody off from this excellent youth organization - the benefits far outweigh the odd nit-nits, which happen in every group sooner or later.

I totally agree with my barn, my rules - just the facility should never have
    been chosen - too fancy for the likes of us, normal folks.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

39 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    It is heartbreaking, you'll have to trust me on that.

I sure hope it's your drunk house guest posting....
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

31 members found this post helpful.

Like I said, there is a lot more to the story. Suffice to say I will ask to be reassigned because I don't know if I can be impartial now. Maybe you don't like the way I react when a dear friend is being chastised for her wonderful, generous offering despite the back story, so be it.
    Your friend may have made a "generous offer", but it had bizzarre strings attached. And to threaten a $100 penalty and expulsion of a child over something so silly, is just off the charts, weird!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

27 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Underthebridge View Post
    Times are changing, it is very hard or near impossible to find available arenas, when I go to the only place available for clinics I will do whatever is asked, and this
    For adult riders I wholeheartedly agree; we should understand and follow the rules in order to ride there.

But I can't help but feel this entire situation isn't very fair for a group of young beginning riders: I'm sure they are nervous about the testing itself, and now added to that is having to control their pony's bathroom behavior, or mom and dad will have to pay and they will be kicked out of the facilities. Talk about the possibilities for humiliation.

13 members found this post helpful.

I wish it was. That would mean the world to me. This has little to nothing to do with urine. We'll have to leave it at that.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh good lord, nothing pertaining to a D Pony Club rating is heartbreaking no matter how dramatic a picture you want to paint. Do you know what is heartbreaking? Cancer is heartbreaking. My old co-worker who is currently in the hospital in a coma is heartbreaking. Death is heartbreaking. It sounds like you desperately need some perspective on what ought to be called heartbreaking.

65 members found this post helpful.

Your definition of heartbreaking is stunningly similar to mine....

2 members found this post helpful.

So the BO is going to suffer a terrible curse should a pony urinate on the million dollar footing.....

put that 6-in-hand drama team away.

You are not willing to tell the rest of the story, so just quit hinting on it.

You are not doing your friend any favors by keeping on about this.
    Nor Pony Club....
    Not to mention you are sounding rather loony tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

45 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    In an AKC dog show, if a dog eliminates in the ring, you are disqualified. That's the way it is and handlers learn to get their dogs to the 'exercise' pens and let them empty themselves..
    Not quite how it works. Performance dogs (agility/obedience etc) are eliminated for eliminating in the ring. Not so for the breed show participants. The males in conformation classes mark all the time.

8 members found this post helpful.

I realize it appeared as if I was going to hold this against the children but that isn't the case. I was just trying to illustrate that you don't know who you are venting to on the internet. I was already very upset over this whole situation and this thread more or less pushed me over the edge. Don't hold my emotions against pony club nor the barn owner who undoubtedly has handled this better than I have. Suffice to say, my heart is broken and this shattered the pieces into smaller pieces. I consider it to be the ultimate in the adage that no good deed goes unpunished and that makes me very sad.
    Laurie, I have always enjoyed reading your posts, and I do not believe you are a mean or unfair person -- perhaps just a little overly fiercely protective of a friend. Your friend sounds very generous to have offered the use of her private facilities; however, somebody with pony club should have reviewed those rules and the wording of them. Many of us have never heard of such a rule. I was taught to rise up & forward to take pressure off of the horse when it pees. Objectively, few beginning adult horse people would be comfortable going into a situation where if their horse, an animal, urinated; they would be fined and kicked out -- a humiliating & expensive spectacle -- kind of the stuff nightmares are made of (at least for shy people). And, there is no way I would subject my kid to all that drama over a horse urinating.

I DO think it's possible that pony club leadership could have come to an agreement with the property owner and communicated with parents that every effort should be made to avoid urinating in the arenas -- and make sure everyone knows what the procedure will be if the inevitable happens. I would suggest Sweet PDZ &/or mix up some Barn Odor Eliminator in a yard sprayer.

I know you are defending a friend -- and everybody needs to take a deep breath and remember how priceless a loyal friend is -- but I can promise you that if your friend had actually humiliated a pony mom & kid by kicking them out plus trying to fine them $100 - BECAUSE a pony peed; she'd probably end up on your local evening news. It seems to me that the root issue boils down to some not very well thought out / thought through communication, and I'm surprised only one of the recipients is here asking about it.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

39 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    We can discuss why, if you scuba dive, you will want to invest in your very own wetsuit versus renting one now

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    Not quite how it works. Performance dogs (agility/obedience etc) are eliminated for eliminating in the ring. Not so for the breed show participants. The males in conformation classes mark all the time.
    Thanks for clarifying this as I have witnessed many "accidents" in the dozen or so dog shows that I have attended as a spectator; and they were handled efficiently w/o fanfare -- quite as if people expected them to happen

2 members found this post helpful.

This sort of thing is also why I choose not to volunteer with USPC at this time. I'm hoping to go the 4H route with my son, as it seems that the examiners and volunteers are a little more stable on the whole. I've seen some fantastic clubs, and I think it's up to the DC to set the tone, if you will. Laurie, you're painting a pretty bad picture of Pony Club here, not the new mom or her friend. I feel embarrassed for you.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

17 members found this post helpful.

That doesn't really coincide with anything said here. If the arena owner is dying, that's quite sad, but it doesn't make this a sensible rule.

I'm suddenly the "parent" of two extra human children and spent the day rehoming their pets that we couldn't absorb into our family. Pee in an arena? Not even hitting my radar.

36 members found this post helpful.

For OP, you might check the PC rules and get another evaluation person to do Ratings under. For that lowest level, it used to be that a less than Top-Rated person could do Approvals that kids met the standards of each Rating level. With using a different person, you could hold the Ratings at another location.

Our local PC young Ds all were Rated by outside folks. These folks meet a PC standard by attending education training in doing things the PC way. The folks were fairly easy to find, Approvals did NOT need to only be done in a Regional setting. We did ours at a local stable, so no one had a "home ground" advantage. We rented the arena for the time needed.

I am sure the PC Rules are clear on D Ratings if YOU read the details. Rules could have changed in the years since I was in, but rule books are available online for learning. Parents need to take the time and get themselves informed on ALL the little stuff. You have to know the PC information to educate the children on doing things the PC WAY, then into Rally Rules, so they know HOW to argue for Protests and what is expected of them at the Rally in responsibility.

It is unreasonable to expect your PC leader to be the only person who knows all the rules and expectations. They are not going to be able to tell the other PC folks all the information they need to be successful, just TOO MUCH in details to talk it out. Written rules are clear, specific, quite detailed for EVERY part of a PC activity. You can lose just by not being self-informed. Happened to me, before I "got it" about the Rules and PC way of doing things, and got myself educated by reading all those detailed Rules on how to do things.

I would pass on a possible $100 fine and find another Rating Approval to attend or perhaps have the local PC put on their own Rating for the Ds. Check with your Regional people for another D Rating that could be happening, ask to be included, pay your portion of the charge for the person to do the Rating. We shared our activities with other PCs, tried to keep it friendly and not an exclusive thing for us. Kids knew others then when they met at a Rally or in making up Scramble Teams so they were more comfortable working together.

7 members found this post helpful.

Thanks to Laurirace's sig line here are some pix of the place in question on her FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/McDow...s/189840138971
    ETA the way I knew it is the place is because some commentary on the pictures posted March 2 referenced it being a private facility where a pony club meeting occurs/or will occur. And, having seen a picture of the arena, that plus my sleuthing skills = this appaers to be the place?: http://www.horsepenhill.com/facilities.html If not, then pretty amazing that more than one place would boast of their footing made of sand, rubber and fiber, designed to hold moisture.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I'd just like to get my horse to learn to pee somewhere, anywhere, that is NOT his stall. Clearly he's one of those racehorses trained to go in ONE place and one place only.

And the tone/consequences of the request would be rude no matter who the intended ring visitors were (adults, pony kids, teens, whoever.) They're ANIMALS. Asking that every reasonable effort be made to prevent horses from urinating in the rings is fine. Threatening them and fining them and suggesting you run clapping and yelling to prevent it is loony.

And a million dollars for footing that can't take liquids (so it never rains, wild animal have NO access, no one ever has any fluids ever) suggests either someone has far more money than sense or a bank that needs to seriously reevaluate its lending policies. A liquid doesn't have to be urine to soak into something felt-like and cause it to have an odor.

16 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I saw the FB pics also. The arena has firm white footing, so it may actually pool and discolor if urinated upon. Not recycled fiber from the looks of it but very pretty and looks like white indoor carpet. I'm sure manure removal has to be fast and may even leave a divot that has to be filled in with the fresh sand/fiber mix.

Guess the kids & parents won't be drinking Gator-Aid, Colas, or Coffee in there either. Very fussy but I can understand why the owner wants to protect it from discoloration.