The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Obviously very nice to offer a million dollar arena to pony club, but if the owner is that worried about damages, maybe it'd be best to withdraw the offer?

34 members found this post helpful.

LOL, that facility takes Dressage Diva to a whole new level. Urine happens.

26 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    It is akin to asking someone not to scratch your new Ferrari when you generously allow them to drive it. I don't think that is an unfair request.
    I would think it would be more akin to inviting a 16 year old with a newly-minted driver's license to drive your new Ferrari and, while handing over the keys, explaining that you will be fining them $100 if they dare leave a fingerprint inside.

So much drama, and rather unprofessional, making insinuations of taking it out on the kids during testing, rather than keeping it between the adults, like, you know, an adult.

65 members found this post helpful.

1. Show some respect for other peoples property
    2. Don't let your dog run around and bark, chase, scare.
    3. Don't ask if you can use a stall for your horse to pee in.
    4. Don't ridicule people that have taught all their horses to go before a ride, and before loading, or simply "on command".

When your horse is dribbling urine during an expensive clinic, go back home and spend some quality time with your horse, he is not ready.

To:Unknown

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Underthebridge View Post
    1. Show some respect for other peoples property
    2. Don't let your dog run around and bark, chase, scare.
    3. Don't ask if you can use a stall for your horse to pee in.
    4. Don't ridicule people that have taught all their horses to go before a ride, and before loading, or simply "on command".

When your horse is dribbling urine during an expensive clinic, go back home and spend some quality time with your horse, he is not ready.

To:Unknown

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...-the-pool.html

Michael Phelps -- NOT READY.

:-D

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    well, he didn't do it from the block, it's all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

yikes! Something like "please refrain from letting horses urinate in rings" is a LOT nicer than "if your horse pees you will be fined $100 and kicked out". Thats simply rude. Horses are animals and I think everyone would do their best to respect the requests of the owner if asked politley. I would not even think of attending a show (ralley..whatever) if the owner stated you could be kicked out for something you may have no control about.

36 members found this post helpful.

I'm SO glad I'm too poor to afford million dollar footing that can not stand up to basic every day use. Regular boring old footing seems so much more practical since you can use it.

I don't know about the OP's area, but in our area, PC parents spend quite a lot to have their kid in Pony Club, with a suitable mount and able to train for their ratings. If I was one, I'd be slightly miffed to have spent all that and then feel horribly uncomfortable about the unreasonable demands being placed on the poor kid on the day. God knows, it's nerve-wracking enough doing your rating.

Isn't there a community arena that would be a nicer place for pony-clubbers to work ?

34 members found this post helpful.

In an AKC dog show, if a dog eliminates in the ring, you are disqualified. That's the way it is and handlers learn to get their dogs to the 'exercise' pens and let them empty themselves.

BUT whoever buys million dollar footing that can't handle animal waste is an idiot. Somebody saw them coming. And I'm including Devon in that statement if they did it also.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

13 members found this post helpful.

As far as i am concerned, its up to the DC of the pony club to handle this situation. I would NOT have used this womens facility period!!! I respect that she wants to keep her footing in good shape, its her barn her rules. However, i would never have agreed to this facility as a host. There are to many variables when it comes to D level testing. D level is the beginning level and generally kids are pretty young. The OP should never have had to come here and ask if this was the norm, it was up to the DC to handle all concerns of not only the parent but the owner of the facility.
    I dont care if there is a back story or not, coming on here as a tester, is not only unprofessional it is down right against the rules of the pony club. Parents are to be respected as is the owner of the facility, and frankly Laurie, whether this is your friend or not, you have a certain obligation to the office of tester. No one is blaming your friend, it was just not an appropriate facility and the DC of this group needs to step up to the plate and take charge of the situation.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

48 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Who said it would damage anything? She doesn't want pee in it. Big freaking deal. Glad you are getting your entertainment out of it. Hope I am in a laughing mood during the rating but somehow I doubt it now.
    I am absolutely floored. I know that you never really "know" people online but over time you develop a feel for people. I am saddened that you are publicly admitting that you plan on taking your feelings for this woman out on another persons children. That seems like a gross abuse of your position and it speaks volumes about your character. Not how I "read" you all of these years but better late than never.

OP: If I was a parent I would be livid if someone endangered my child by clapping and running at a pony that looked like it was about to urinate.

86 members found this post helpful.

I don't this has anything to do with ponyclub, just a private facility with a very strange rule and a volunteer who knows the facility owner. I wouldn't let this thread disuade anyone from joining ponyclub.

It sounds like Laurierace is going to excuse herself which is probably for the best as it appears that she is threatening the pony clubbers even if she isn't. I saw some of her posts as not so thinly veiled threats to the kids, who not only didn't post on this thread but their parents didn't post either!

Stopping to pee isn't very obedient behavior but it can happen occasionally and I wouldn't expect a small child to be able to prevent their pony from peeing. I see that the outdoor AND the indoor are both pee free zones and perhaps a facility with less strict rules would be more appropriate.

22 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    In an AKC dog show, if a dog eliminates in the ring, you are disqualified. That's the way it is and handlers learn to get their dogs to the 'exercise' pens and let them empty themselves.

BUT whoever buys million dollar footing that can't handle animal waste is an idiot. Somebody saw them coming. And I'm including Devon in that statement if they did it also.
    Dogs are not horses.
    Dogs eliminate maybe twice a day, horses maybe twice an hour?

You can't expect the same bathroom habits from a horse than you do from a dog.

22 members found this post helpful.

PLus, to be fair, I house-trained my dog in a matter of hours. I have not managed to house train any of 9 horses in a decade.

37 members found this post helpful.

Times are changing, it is very hard or near impossible to find available arenas, when I go to the only place available for clinics I will do whatever is asked, and this

2 members found this post helpful.

Good point Bluey.

We have a large, older (22ish) hunter gelding at our barn that drinks A LOT and is not shy about letting it out any old time he feels like it.

He is so big and sweet and is always leased out to the beginners; certainly, there are other horses around similar to him.

I find this rule strange but I ride western and we have nice sand arenas. Just curious, does Devon not allow urination in it's arenas?

3 members found this post helpful.

I realize it appeared as if I was going to hold this against the children but that isn't the case. I was just trying to illustrate that you don't know who you are venting to on the internet. I was already very upset over this whole situation and this thread more or less pushed me over the edge. Don't hold my emotions against pony club nor the barn owner who undoubtedly has handled this better than I have. Suffice to say, my heart is broken and this shattered the pieces into smaller pieces. I consider it to be the ultimate in the adage that no good deed goes unpunished and that makes me very sad.

6 members found this post helpful.

There must be a lot of the story missing if this situation is breaking your heart.

Really, it's not the end of the world. Just a really freakin strange rule.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

41 members found this post helpful.

It is heartbreaking, you'll have to trust me on that.