The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I don't get why this is considered off base?

I don't want horses peeing in my arenas either, and we do discourage it/train them not to. I just don't want a stinky wet spot.

I imagine the penalty is to make people take this rule seriously. People seem to have a habit of thinking "tee hee look at my naughty pony" when breaking rules on someone else's property.
    I doubt anyone is going "tee hee look at my naughty pony" when any one horse relieves themselves?

What we all learn on COTH, strange at times, is it.
    Guess there are some places that have those rules.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am not professional. But I am a very pissed off volunteer.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I am not professional. But I am a very pissed off volunteer.
    I expect even volunteers to behave in a professional manner. If they can't, I'd rather not have them around.

85 members found this post helpful.

Maybe it's all the cold/flu meds I'm on, but volunteers, especially the ones grading children, should be professional as well. Not threatening pony club moms online. At least don't punish the kid for what you think the mom is doing wrong...
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

72 members found this post helpful.

Honestly, what's the big deal on either side? I'm about to pee laughing over the silliness of it all. I and several friends have nice facilities with arenas with well maintained footing, but we all know horses will be horse and we care about their comfort too.

A very simple solution is keep a muck bucket and fork handy. Everybody (including a helpful bystander/parent/fellow PCer) can be respectful of the property and quietly pick up the occasional manure pile that happens. If a horse needs to pee, any chance you can quietly slip the muck bucket in position to catch it? I do it all the time with one of mine - granted he is OTTB & obviously used to the idea - he actually stands, looks at me, turns and waits when he is first brought into his stall. As soon as I tell him OK, the job is done. NO BIG DEAL!

3 members found this post helpful.

I am not going to punish anybody for anything. I am extremely angry this thread was started however.

4 members found this post helpful.

I am not going to punish anybody for anything. I am extremely angry this thread was started however.
    Overreacting much?

A PC parent who is obviously new to the game is asking if a certain rule is the norm.
    And frankly, I would not be all that comfortable with the prospect of having a bunch of adults rush my child atop a horse (even a small one) hollering and clapping. That does not seem to be a wise course of action regarding children who do not belong to you, on horses you do not know, all in the effort to preserve some sand....
    My friend actually called the woman to see if this was for real, and the woman was quite serious when she said it was. When my friend asked what would happen if her 10 year old son's pony mare started to pee, the BO said they'd just get a bunch of people to start yelling and clapping their hands & run into the arena.
    as to outing the facility, if you would have kept a lower profile nobody would have guessed. So, yeah, you outed them. Nice work.
    And yes, you do sound charming. I'd let hell freeze over before I introduced my kids to you with, 'hey, I asked a question on COTH'

@ the OP I would really not worry too much, I have not seen a lot of horses urinate in the arena or while ridden. Mostly schoolies that had long working hours without a chance to retreat....
    Last edited by Alagirl; Mar. 3, 2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: add quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

42 members found this post helpful.

Who said it would damage anything? She doesn't want pee in it. Big freaking deal. Glad you are getting your entertainment out of it. Hope I am in a laughing mood during the rating but somehow I doubt it now.
    I guess I can understand being upset about this post, or the responses to it... but the OP did not mention names or barns specifically, and I don't think she insulted anyone at any point. I would have been surprised to read that policy, too, and I've definitely asked the "is this a normal thing?" question on COTH.

However, there are a few comments that have been made about you judging or being part of the rating (not positive how PC works) that definitely give the impression you intend to not be fair to these particular kids.

This may be a good time for a deep breath and a rational conversation before accusations start flying at the event...

68 members found this post helpful.

I always say I've encountered some of the nicest, most wonderful people in the horse world and some of the craziest nutbars... This thread ranks squarely in the crazy nutbar camp. Someone asks what read as a very innocent question about a barn rule... First off - it's a bit of a weird rule and the consequence??? Completely ridiculous. Then poor OP gets lambasted for asking a simple "is this odd" question? Sheesh, double ridiculous. Take a deep breath.

67 members found this post helpful.

If an 'accident' occurred, would there be a pool of urine in the footing, or would it leach downward? I would assume it wouldn't be noticeable 2 minutes later.

Or would it stain the footing? Make the footing smell?

I guess I (too) don't understand the reasons behind rule unless its just to draw attention to the enormous cost and upkeep of the arena(s).

Anyways, unless the horse is standing around, chances are they won't urinate. Just keep the horses moving while in the arena and problem solved.

10 members found this post helpful.

As stated above, they made the decision not to bring the horses to the rating so it is a moot point. There is a lot of back story here that I am not going to share but it is so hurtful you obviously can not imagine.

Just like at Devon, there are pieces of felt and other absorbent fabrics in the footing that soaks up and retains the urine smell. It is akin to asking someone not to scratch your new Ferrari when you generously allow them to drive it. I don't think that is an unfair request.

7 members found this post helpful.

As stated above, they made the decision not to bring the horses to the rating so it is a moot point. There is a lot of back story here that I am not going to share but it is so hurtful you obviously can not imagine.

Just like at Devon, there are pieces of felt and other absorbent fabrics in the footing that soaks up and retains the urine smell. It is akin to asking someone not to scratch your new Ferrari when you generously allow them to drive it. I don't think that is an unfair request.
    oh, get over it. I am sure the cats and dogs and foxes and possums won't tinkle on the footing ever...

You really should stop while you are still a few clicks from China.
    The drama in this thread is all you.

and yes, I do find it ridiculous.

The horse tinkles in the arena you throw a bucket of water over it, or two.
    I'll pay for the bleach if it makes you feel any better.

I am sure a lawyer would be happy to advise your friend that if she charges a youngster and he/she pops off the pony, it won't be a tip-toe through the tulips....

55 members found this post helpful.

As an examiner myself (Laurie, if you are peforming any part of the rating you an examiner. Even if it's the "knowledge" part, known to examiners as the unmounted portion) I too found your FOUR references to being in a position of power with the rating to sound threat like. Even insinuating that Gee, you hope you are in a good mood.

Very poor form Laurie. Even if the OP posted something that probably should have been better asked of friends and other horse folks in person and private, YOU, as an examiner have standards of behavior to live up to too. This falls short.

I sense you are new to the Pony Club organization. I hope you have been well schooled in the standards of the test. Most examiners, even at the low D levels are required to attend at least one standard and ratings clinic.

I say the above because you have painted yourself into a corner with your behavior on this thread. Heaven forbid the OP's kids actually don't meet the standards on the unmounted portion that day, because you've now given the OP every reason and ammo to claim you were biased, unfair, angry, etc.

110 members found this post helpful.

Like I said, there is a lot more to the story. Suffice to say I will ask to be reassigned because I don't know if I can be impartial now. Maybe you don't like the way I react when a dear friend is being chastised for her wonderful, generous offering despite the back story, so be it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Drama?

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Effie1221 View Post
    Drama?
    More hurtful than we can possibly imagine, even.

41 members found this post helpful.

Like I said, there is a lot more to the story. Suffice to say I will ask to be reassigned because I don't know if I can be impartial now. Maybe you don't like the way I react when a dear friend is being chastised for her wonderful, generous offering despite the back story, so be it.
    She is not being chastised.
    You can sponge off the drama llama.

Somebody asked a question.

20 members found this post helpful.

This whole thread is exactly why I don't volunteer for Pony Club. The DQ owner is being absolutely ridiculous - because God for-freaking-BID she should actually have to pick up a rake - and an examiner should know a WHOLE hell of a lot better than to lose it at a new pony club mom on a public forum.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

46 members found this post helpful.

Are you fined $100 and kicked off the premise at Devon for a horse peeing in the ring? I just don't understand how you can prevent a horse from peeing. It doesn't know it's on million dollar footing. Does the same rule apply for poop?
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    This whole thread is exactly why I don't volunteer for Pony Club. The DQ owner is being absolutely ridiculous - because God for-freaking-BID she should actually have to pick up a rake - and an examiner should know a WHOLE hell of a lot better than to lose it at a new pony club mom on a public forum.
    Hey wait a minute!! What did pony club do to deserve that? Pony Club is all about the volunteers - come join us and make a difference.

ETA - back to your trainwreck

5 members found this post helpful.