The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Has anyone ever heard of this?

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm starting here. A friend of mine has two children who are getting ready to do their Pony Club ratings (D-2). The ratings are going to be at a farm she was unfamiliar with, and when she got the directions and releases by email, there was also a list of "Dos and Don'ts." Such things as: "manure must be picked up", "if it comes out of your horse or your trailer you must take it with you, etc." (Fair enough.) But there was one condition: "Under no circumstances will any horse be allowed to urinate in either the indoor or outdoor arenas. Any owner who permits their horse to urinate will be fined $100 and asked to leave the premises immediately." So, is this a new thing? It IS a dressage facility, and I'm sure has very nice footing, but can it really be that much nicer than some of the A show barns and facilities that do not have this policy? My friend actually called the woman to see if this was for real, and the woman was quite serious when she said it was. When my friend asked what would happen if her 10 year old son's pony mare started to pee, the BO said they'd just get a bunch of people to start yelling and clapping their hands & run into the arena. So...Really?

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, my! Wonder what the Pony Club thinks of this?

That seems absurd when the event is for kids riding at the lowest PC level. I'm not super familiar with the PC levels, so perhaps I'm underestimating the skill level at "D". Sorry but there are just some tykes who are not going to be able to stop a horse who is determined to make a pit stop. If they phrased it along the lines of "Horses must not be allowed to pee because this damages the arena surface. Riders are requested to make every effort to prevent this." I'd be fine with that.
    But to threaten removal from show grounds is just pissy (sorry) and wrong.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

15 members found this post helpful.

That is so funny it is ridiculous. They don't want them to be horses; they want them to be machines. Discouraging a horse/pony from urinating is just, it's just....well, it's idiotic.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

14 members found this post helpful.

I never did pony club, but this is insane. Horses pee. Outdoors. And indoors. They're animals!!!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

7 members found this post helpful.

UN freaking real!!! I have never heard of such a foolish thing in PC or out. Maybe they shouldn't have allowed a PC (or any other) activity to be based at their farm. What do they do with their horses....diaper them???
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

6 members found this post helpful.

Well, since you aren't bringing the horses it won't be an issue. I am anxious to meet your children when we do their knowledge testing. You left out the part where she offered to let them do the testing outside on the grass and just come in briefly to jump.

3 members found this post helpful.

To think we worked so hard to teach horses to go, so they would be more comfortable empty while being ridden.

Never heard to teach a horse not to go, but to hold it.

At the track, we trained them to go by whistling, so they would not take forever to give a sample for testing.

I would seriously bring that to the attention of the main office of the PC, see what they have to say to that, teaching kids to disturb a horse, any one horse, even those of others, to scare it into not relieving itself in public.
    Can you imagine the whole bleachers of people yelling because one horse in the ring is trying to go?

4 members found this post helpful.

She doesn't want them peeing in her indoor or outdoor arena which has the same footing as they have at Devon. This isn't a show facility, this is a person's private home. She has generously opened her home to strangers and asks that you not let your horse urinate on her million dollar footing. And you go on the internet and bash her. Maybe you should bring THAT up with the main office! And yes, I will be the one doing the ratings.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    She doesn't want them peeing in her indoor or outdoor arena which has the same footing as they have at Devon. This isn't a show facility, this is a person's private home. She has generously opened her home to strangers and asks that you not let your horse urinate on her million dollar footing. And you go on the internet and bash her. Maybe you should bring THAT up with the main office! And yes, I will be the one doing the ratings.
    But give me a break, fined $100 and kicked out? Fine, if people see a horse about to go, rush in all you want and lead it off/clap/shout at it/whatever. Tell HO's that this is the policy. But fining and kicking a kid out because they're not able to control their pony's bodily functions?

The woman. Is. WHACK.

37 members found this post helpful.

You couldn't be more off base if you tried. Ever heard, my facility, my rules? Not to mention they already said they weren't bringing the horses so it is a non-issue so why bash her on the internet? By the way, I was there all day yesterday and nobody had any trouble peeing in the ring.

Honestly, a footing that is damaged by the occasional horse relieving itself is not the kind you want in a horse facility, million dollars cost or not, I would say?

I agree, her place, her rules, but excuse me if I think that is a bit on the absurd side.

There was a fellow here build a very fancy show barn, but he didn't keep any horses in there, except when he was having a party, so the guest could go in there and see the pretty horses and for the yearly production sale he held for a few years.
    As soon as the party/sale were over, horses were again taken to their sheds with runs outside and the whole cleaned spotless, again to not be used for months.
    Their place, their rules, I agree.

27 members found this post helpful.

Who said it would damage anything? She doesn't want pee in it. Big freaking deal. Glad you are getting your entertainment out of it. Hope I am in a laughing mood during the rating but somehow I doubt it now.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    To think we worked so hard to teach horses to go, so they would be more comfortable empty while being ridden.

Never heard to teach a horse not to go, but to hold it.

At the track, we trained them to go by whistling, so they would not take forever to give a sample for testing.

I would seriously bring that to the attention of the main office of the PC, see what they have to say to that, teaching kids to disturb a horse, any one horse, even those of others, to scare it into not relieving itself in public.
    Can you imagine the whole bleachers of people yelling because one horse in the ring is trying to go?
    No scaring needed, just ask horse to walk on - seems pretty simple
    - never met one yet that won't move off a short distance & then accept the opportunity to urinate in the appropriate area ...

& no, no horses have been emotionally scarred for life & unable to urinate in future years.

In most areas, there are several opportunities a year to complete one's pony club level testing, anyone that finds the request of this facility to be unacceptable, may just plan to test at the next opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    No scaring needed, just ask horse to walk on - seems pretty simple
    - never met one yet that won't move off a short distance & then accept the opportunity to urinate in the appropriate area ...

& no, no horses have been emotionally scarred for life & unable to urinate in future years.

In most areas, there are several opportunities a year to complete one's pony club level testing, anyone that finds the request of this facility to be unacceptable, may just plan to test at the next opportunity.
    Sorry, I understood everyone around a horse trying to urinate was to clap and make the offender move on, but maybe that is not what was meant?

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't get why this is considered off base?

I don't want horses peeing in my arenas either, and we do discourage it/train them not to. I just don't want a stinky wet spot.

I imagine the penalty is to make people take this rule seriously. People seem to have a habit of thinking "tee hee look at my naughty pony" when breaking rules on someone else's property.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

5 members found this post helpful.

No, they said the adults would be on the lookout and if a horse appeared to be getting ready to urinate that they would get the child's attention by clapping or whatever and walk the horse a few steps outdoors. Seriously, I am so pissed (pun intended) that I could spit nails.

I think that one facility that I was at years ago had this rule (at least for the indoor). Honestly, I can't remember it being an issue too often. If anything, you could just hop off your horse and lead the horse back to a stall or out to the grass for a minute (or ask the child to hop off if the horse started to look like she might be thinking about urinating). Unless I was riding a horse that regularly urinated in the arena, I wouldn't get too stressed - it probably won't happen.

Dang OP you are being rude. Some one set rules to use their private home and you rant on in public?

Dont like the rules, stay home.

4 members found this post helpful.

Sorry. If you've got "million dollar" arena footing and you are so concerned about it that you feel the need to impose a $100 fine and kick people off the property for letting a horse/pony urinate, then you've got no business volunteering to host a bunch of Pony Clubbers at your place.

And that last sentence about you being the one doing the ratings sounds like an outright threat directed at huntmeet and her friend and their kids. Very professional.

112 members found this post helpful.