The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Surgery tomorrow

Hi Everyone,
    I was just hoping I could ask folks here to send:

• Positive thoughts (if you do that)
    • Prayers (if you do that)
    • Jingles ([?] what are those?)
    • Kind wishes

to my mare Holly, who is scheduled for bone chip surgery tomorrow. It was going to have been weeks ago, but then she cut her eye, had an infection from that, then had colic, possibly from the meds used to treat the eye.

After all this, I'm so fearful that something else will happen that I'm trembling as I type this. We are in Arizona, She is Holly, an American Saddlebred.

I just want her to be healthy and not in pain.

Thank you.

Jingles! I'm sure she will do fine.

It sounds like she has been through a rough patch. Praying, jingling, thinking positive and sending kind wishes your way.

Sending jingles. Mine had fetlock bone chip surgery in September of last year. He came through the surgery with no complications.

Sparrowette, "jingling" is a term coined by CoTHers at least 10 or more years ago as a non-denominational expression of prayers, healing thoughts, light, good wishes, juju whatever you want to call it. As an atheist, I cannot send anyone prayers, but I can jingle. "Jingling curb chains" was the original expression. Since I'm now out of horses, I jingle my dogs ID tags. Sending jingles to your mare.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Mega jingles and prayers headed Holly's way!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Hi Sparroweete:
    I pray, so I am praying for Holly and for you for surgery to go well and for you to have no anxiety.
    God Bless,
    PKN

Default Good Thoughts

Prayers and jingles for you and your girl.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Prayers and jingles for your mare and hugs for you!
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Jingles for you! Sounds like you are due for a change in the winds of luck anyway!!

Jingles

One of my Clydesdales had a huge bone chip removed from his hock. Although it was terrifying to have him put under and it was not an easy surgery, I am glad I did it. It totally changed the quality of his life. Six months later, he was back to showing and winning. I hope the surgery goes well for your horse. I am sending good thoughts your way.

I can definitely sympathize with what you are going through. My horse had 2 surgeries in December. The first (on Thursday) was to remove bone chips from his stifle. The second (on Saturday) was to perform a tie back surgery. The original plan was to do both at once, but the surgeon was nervous about keeping him under for that long. I was nervous about putting him under twice in two days, but it went perfectly. He got to come home the same day of his second surgery and has had no issues since.

So I know it is hard, but try to relax and remember that most of the time, everything goes smoothly. Know that you are doing the right thing for your horse and think about the future you will have with her!

Sending lots of prayers, jingles, kind thoughts and well wishes! Hoping this day passes quickly for you!

jingles for your mare.

Well, it all seems to be working. Dr. said it was "textbook, get in, get the chip, get out." Now all we need is a smooth recovery. She is still at the hospital, and should go back to B's tomorrow. They will watch her while she is on enforced stall rest.

I, on the other hand was a mess. I got lighted-headed beforehand so had to go sit down.. Couldn't remember things. Then I drank all their coffee and felt better. Watched the surgery on TV. Got some pictures. Got the chip in a vial of formalin.

Thanks to everyone, and keep it up. We're almost out of the woods..

1 members found this post helpful.

Glad you got through it! Good luck with the stall rest...mine went pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowette View Post

I, on the other hand was a mess. I got lighted-headed beforehand so had to go sit down.. Couldn't remember things. Then I drank all their coffee and felt better. Watched the surgery on TV. Got some pictures. Got the chip in a vial of formalin.

I'm glad that things are going well and hope the worst is behind you both!
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Happy to see the good update.
    Jingles that it continues to be uncomplicated.

I am so glad to hear the good news that the surgery went well. I was lucky with the stall rest...Clydesdales arenot known for being rambunctuous. I hope your stall rest requirement will not be too long. best of luck.

Thanks again. She's eating, drinking and pooping - like a horse! Her stall rest time will be two weeks, with gradual activity moving up slowly. Total rehab time is three months. After that she can be brought into training.

B picked her up while I was at work. She said that Holly was trying to get into the trailer before she had the doors all open. She told me that she thought someone had really trained her to trailer. I think it was more of the "GET ME THE HECK OUTTA' HERE!!!" motive.

Thanks!