The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fernhill Sporthorses?

I'm looking to take a trip in the fall to check out a few different farms for Irish horses, including the Goresbridge sale.

I emailed Fernhill last month with some questions about their farm, horses, etc. and have not heard back. Since I am not going out for quite some time, I figured I would continue doing my research and then call them to follow up with them to arrange a visit as the time gets closer.

Until then, has anybody dealt with them personality or know how their sales process works? If they don't have the type of horse you are looking for, do they refer you to contacts to source one out? What sort of price range can I expect for something under 5 years old? What sort of price range gets you something fancy with experience?

Any info (posted or PM'd) would be appreciated.

On previous posts you said your budget is 10-12K It will cost you at least 10K to import.
    Carol probably has 35 + horses in her stable, and she sources a lot more. She acts as the agent in the sale.
    As with any other dealer abroad or in the states, they come in all shapes, sizes, and prices. I don't think you are necessarily getting the best prices when you go abroad, but you are able to see a ton of horses in a short period of time, and within close proximity of eachother.
    Fancy with experience? A lot.
    Last edited by SLR; Mar. 3, 2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: addition

Unless your pocketbook has expanded you don t have enough to Vet Buy Import or potentially quarenteen if its a mare of stallion

That's awesome, thank you. Due to a change in circumstances, it looks like I may have quite a bit more to spend than originally thought. It would be great to find something local (NA) but I've already had a few leads on horses from event coaches I know over there who are currently shopping in the UK and I want to do some price comparison. Thanks again.

There is no comparing when you add in your flight travel expenses and then shipping fees for horse on top of the actual cost of the horse...

1 members found this post helpful.

You may find some bargains over there. My neighbor was in Ireland a few months ago and was shocked at how low the prices were for really nice horses. She almost came home with one, and she was not even there to shop!
    Paddy at Carlingford horses also has some nice eventing horses.

Also check out John Keane.....He is in Wexford and sells many horses to the Davidsons....VERY nice and decent prices. He is a very nice man.

ETA he is a realtor, so his contact should be easy to find.

Carol and co are in Barocca at the moment, so maybe not able to get back to you for that reason?

I would highly recommend finding an agent to help you if you do go to Ireland or England. I think that makes the whole process much, much easier. Paddy is a great one. He has nice horses in his yard, but also knows where to find them elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternate Realityyy View Post
    I'm looking to take a trip in the fall to check out a few different farms for Irish horses, including the Goresbridge sale.

I emailed Fernhill last month with some questions about their farm, horses, etc. and have not heard back. Since I am not going out for quite some time, I figured I would continue doing my research and then call them to follow up with them to arrange a visit as the time gets closer.
    Call them - when we were in Ireland, there were a number of friends whose emails just never arrived ... & I'd also send email & never a Failure notice ... all these messages just vanished into the ether

There is no comparing when you add in your flight travel expenses and then shipping fees for horse on top of the actual cost of the horse...
    An acquaintance just picked up a very nice gelding at a German auction house, she probably would've payed much the same for a similar horse in Canada/USA - or perhaps more ...
    For a similar investment she had a wonderful trip (with her coach), did some shopping, saw amazing horses - & the boy is very nice indeed with great foundation training.
    Compared with locally available horses of equally nice breeding & training, she got a very good deal - even when all expenses are included.
    And she got to fulfill a dream

Default Also in Wexford

If you do make the trip to Wexford you should get in touch with Niall Griffin and Polly Jackson at Monart Equestrian. They are great people and have great horses with lovely foundations.
    http://www.monartequestrian.com/

Stay at my Aunt's B&B, it'll be the most fun you ever had!
    http://www.rathaspeckmanor.ie/
    It takes a good deal of physical courage to ride a horse. This, however, I have. I get it at about forty cents a flask, and take it as required. ~Stephen Leacock

It would be worth speaking to Daisy Trayford who is now based in the USA as they have sold a lot to the USA. I think they still have the website Exmoor eventing.

I would also speak to Rachel Wakefield at Uptown Eventing as she goes to Europe a lot sourcing horses as an agent.
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

If y ou are determined definitely call Paddy Hughes....

http://www.richardsheane.com/ I recommend Richard Sheane and his Cooley horses. If you are heading to Ireland, use ONE agent and let them know what you want. If you want to check out someone else's horses, tell your agent and they will arrange it. I just sent my daughter over to Ireland to shop for a horse and Richard arranged for her hotels and transportation. We were looking for a talented very nice moving three to five year old with four star potential, just about everything Richard had met that bill. Of course we will have to wait a few years to see if it is truly a four star horse. I would say that once you include transportation back to the states, the prices are comparable. I am a small time breeder and hate to say it, but as an eventer you should get yourself over to Ireland...it will save you a lot of time and travel, and who doesn't want to visit Ireland?

I am not saying this with ego or advertisement...but recently I have had at least 3 BNT/R call and buy horses all had been to Ireland and England one told the PPE vet they had looked at or tried 70 horses..another had vetted a significant number of horses who all failed .all came home to buy good old USA OTTB....all were specifically looking for UL horses.....have you exhausted all of the resources here or is the idea of shopping abroad and having a horse with a prefix to its name the attraction? Of course I am a TB fan thru n thru. Although I admire the Irish horses love the country.

1 members found this post helpful.

Speak to Julie Richards, she works with the Fernhill outfit and usually has a number of Fernhill horses for sale stateside.