The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You might as well go ahead and pick up an electric fence tester. There are several models, $5 ones with one light, $10 ones with five lights, and $40 digital ones. The $10 five light model is adequate for my uses.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I have a tester, but I've always used it to test the fence - never had trouble with the charger at the old farm. I really think the equipment & wiring inside has to go....

The romex that wasn't buried was in the pasture along the barn wall where my youngster discovered it. 'We' removed it. I may run new insulated wire overhead, attached to the soffit.

It seems like the fence itself is really well done. It's heavy guage wire with good tensioners and insulated wire run under all the gates. The insulators are different, but look effective.
    Y'all ain't right!

To test the charger, fasten the ground wire of the tester to the ground wing nut on the charger and touch the test point to the "hot" terminal. You should see very bright flashes.

OK, just noticed you're in Jaw-jah, where they can brew up some pretty good thunderboomers. A lightning diverter would be a good idea, especially if you have long runs of fence. It can save you the cost of replacing a fence charger.

With lightning, of course, nothing is for certain. You're just trying to stack the odds in your favor.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Soooo, everything from the tackroom to the fence needs to be redone.
    The romex had a crazy splice that was wrapped with electrical tape and buried! I can't even find the ground rods. The charger is useless.....
    Y'all ain't right!