The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

There are a couple of genetic problems that DO show up in Connemaras, though not very common:

HWSS Hoof Wall Separation Syndrome
    DSLD Degenerative Suspensory Ligament Desmitis.

So ask the vet to pay particular attention to the hoof wall and to the suspensories.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

i think you can ask that particular breeder as she is well involved in the HWSS research... she can tell you probably better than most vets! but yes, those are issues to know about.

Thanks for the tips! They're all helpful. Do you think it would be rude to ask the owner to film the PPE?

No, I don't think it would be rude, just ask her to take a few clips of the trot ups and circles, flexions on her phone if that's an option! Can never hurt to ask

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Default My 2 cents

I like the pony better.

You said you want to save your budget for lessons. With the OTTB I feel it will take more lessons to get where you want to go. I know you said you can bring young/green horse to a certain level. If you can get a horse to N in decent form on you own or with minimal help from a trainer then I think the pony is a better bet.

With the pony you could save more on lessons, i.e. take lessons only when YOU, not the pony, needs help. You could save money on lessons and put it into schooling sessions and shows.

I hope that makes sense!

The pony looks very easy going and a fun ride!
    GL witth PPE
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

Perfect thanks all Pony has his PPE in 20 minutes! I'll let you know how it goes

I vote for the pony. I have 15 thoroughbreds, and I think the pony is a better pick.

The pony will be a nice ride, the type you can tie to the trailer all day. That is how I decided on my show prospect. He is safe for me, even though I like a hotter horse. He is still very athletic, but if I wanted I can tie him to the trailer and he will be fine. He is not a nervous horse at all. He will ride down the road by himself. So much less drama then my other tb.