The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Good point. These have just been the only two horses I've actually really liked in the 5 months I've been looking. There really isn't much for sale around here at all in my price range. I don't mind if the pony isn't going to be an intermediate horse, I'll get him to where he's capable and then send him on to someone else who can appreciate who he is even more!

Also a question on vet checks...is it recommended you be there for them? The horse is quite far from my house, so it'd be a lot easier if I didn't have to be there and then if he passes get him shipped down. Not sure if this is acceptable though? Does the buyer have to be there?

From my very very amateur POV: go for the pony. He's adorable, he has more training on him, and looks way more willing. The TB to me looks a bit wonky behind (sort of bunny-hopping at the canter) and doesn't have the nice attitude. If your plans change, or you take the pony to a certain level and want to go further, my guess is that he'll be MUCH easier to sell.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by horsenic View Post
    Also a question on vet checks...is it recommended you be there for them? The horse is quite far from my house, so it'd be a lot easier if I didn't have to be there and then if he passes get him shipped down. Not sure if this is acceptable though? Does the buyer have to be there?
    You don't have to be there, but you would want to be on the phone with the PPE vet during the exam. Someone here a couple of weeks ago advised developing a list of "stopping points' -- things you absolutely don't want to deal with -- and if the vet finds one, then you stop the exam and you're done. E.g. "flex +2 in any limb", "shelly hooves", "offset knees" etc.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    You don't have to be there, but you would want to be on the phone with the PPE vet during the exam. Someone here a couple of weeks ago advised developing a list of "stopping points' -- things you absolutely don't want to deal with -- and if the vet finds one, then you stop the exam and you're done. E.g. "flex +2 in any limb", "shelly hooves", "offset knees" etc.
    I agree with this. I will be vetting a horse remotely (8 hours away) later this week, and I plan to be on the phone.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

OP: You don't happen to be located in Ontario area do you?

No sorry! I'm in Alberta! Quietann do you happen to know what that thread was called?

Ah thought I saw a pony that looked like him listed in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Just to chime in a little here. All this talk of flipping, resale etc.

Life is short and not always fair. Ride a horse you enjoy - there is no guarantee a horse will change/improve, no guarantee he'll sell for a profit or at all. (And start out with something sound.)

While I agree...OP said she enjoyed both and possibly needed to sell what ever she bought after this summer. If she didn't like riding the pony....then no way would I say get him. You have to enjoy the horse you have---whether they are a sale horse or a keeper.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by horsenic View Post
    No sorry! I'm in Alberta! Quietann do you happen to know what that thread was called?
    Slightly off-topic, but I know how you feel with the long search for the right horse. I live up in the middle of nowhere Alberta (think insanely north) and finally found an awesome horse after a few months.

Good luck with the vetting!!
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Alrighty so he has his PPE tomorrow, is there anything specific I should make sure the vet checks? Never done a PPE before. I don't know if any of you saw anything in the pictures or videos that you think the vet should look in to? Thanks a bunch

No advice but good luck on the vetting. He is a real cutie!

fwiw i would have someone video the PPE. i would also be VERY clear what you want done and how much it will cost you. then also be sure you get ALL paperwork etc.

as for price - 4k for a just backed pb Con is about right. esp if you have to pay a lot of shipping......

in the end it is the training that matters so buy a horse or pony you enjoy and make sure the training is correct. there are a lot of ponies doing really well in eventing... even a few at intermediate

for those that were wondering about this pony - i know of at least two breeders with similar ponies. i also know the breeder of this pony - so if folks are interested in similar ponies pm me and i can pass along the names etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    While I agree...OP said she enjoyed both and possibly needed to sell what ever she bought after this summer. If she didn't like riding the pony....then no way would I say get him. You have to enjoy the horse you have---whether they are a sale horse or a keeper.
    All I meant was, it's impossible to predict what will happen. If you aren't in the business of buying and selling on a frequent basis, and you are a one-horse-owner, then you should buy something you'll enjoy because you might not sell it this fall, next year, or ever (even if you want to).

It seemed a lot of people were encouraging her one way or the other based on the ability to "flip" - YMMV, but I've had a hard time flipping horses faster than 12-18 months!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    All I meant was, it's impossible to predict what will happen. If you aren't in the business of buying and selling on a frequent basis, and you are a one-horse-owner, then you should buy something you'll enjoy because you might not sell it this fall, next year, or ever (even if you want to).

It seemed a lot of people were encouraging her one way or the other based on the ability to "flip" - YMMV, but I've had a hard time flipping horses faster than 12-18 months!

I guess I sort of disagree. I never bought a ton of horses for "flipping" but when I decided that was what I wanted to do, I was always able to buy a horse and turn them in less than a year (typically 4-6 months--which I did a few times). It came down to picking the right prospect and picking one with an idea of what could I make the most marketable quickly---not what I would pick for my self but what I didn't mind riding. And although I wasn't in the business of buying and selling....I was easily able to pick some good prospects. Sometimes it was just a matter of putting some weight on them, cleaning them up good and getting to a few positive outings.

This pony almost sold just based on this thread....and the breed is a lot more marketable than an OTTB. Putting some more consistent work on him, a bit of show experience and marketing him in a smart manner, he should sell for at least what she is buying him for and likely more.

What you really can't predict is whether he will get hurt or colic....or if she will get hurt. Which will put a significant wrench into training and selling. ETA: And because of that, I would insure him if I was the OP.

You do have to enjoy the horse though....it is much much harder to sell a horse you do not like.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 6, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Alright, so there's nothing really specific I should ask for done apart from the basic PPE? Never done this before and don't want to miss something I could have easily asked him to do or look at. Thanks!

OP - what is your budget for the PPE? That makes a big difference!

And to answer bornfree - I didn't put it in my post, but I agree with you re: colic/getting hurt, that is part of my "you might not sell at a profit" mentality. I would buy the pony over the OTTB posted as well. As for time - where you live in the country can make a big difference, as far as # of potential buyers, the right disciplines, ability to get the horses to outings etc...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Agreed Blugal!

OP--your budget is critical but if buying for re-sale, I do generally think getting xrays and a scope is a good idea. A basic scope should be $50-75 (well that is what it costs me around here). For a non-OTTB, I might not do it if I rode and cantered him and didn't hear any noise...but it isn't a budget blowing thing (but confirm prices with the vet).

I would have a vet do a basic exam. If ANYTHING concerns the vet, look at that first so you can stop the PPE if there is something you can't live with.

If everything looks good, my vets will do limited views of the ankles, hocks, knees (not always) and at least the front feet. Some horses I will do more xrays...and often now I do a few shots of their back (as I've had a few with KS). Again--depends on your budget and how quickly you plan to re-sell but at least some x-rays are typically worth it.

Now most of the horses that I've done a PPE were for myself (but always with a view that I may need to sell them). So I tended to do more xrays as I like having a baseline set of views anyway....so for me it is worth the money. I've also done PPE with no xrays.

For this pony...it really is worth having the vet watch him go and do a basic exam and then talk with the vet before doing more or then deciding how much more to do.

Good luck!

Thanks! I don't think I'll do any xrays unless the vet really suggests it, as he's not off the track, he's been sitting in a field all his life and his conformation looks good. I know these things don't matter if he's got something wrong going on only viewable by xrays, but I'll already pushing my budget with the pony so I want to keep the check as basic as I can. If the vet really wants to do something I'll get him to do it though. Filming sounds like a good idea, but I have no connections in that area and I don't think it would be right the ask the owner to film it :/

personally i would do a basic health/lameness check on the 4 yo con. Cons are known to be super sturdy, so spending a huge amount of $$ on a PPE probably isnt warranted.

i would be VERY specific with the vet - otherwise you may get a bill you werent expecting.

also get the PPE videod. and also have you priced hauling? it can get very expensive very quickly.