The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Honestly...buy the pony. Put the summer into him and flip him. Take the money you make on him and buy a nicer horse to go further up the levels.

You might have had fun on the OTTB...but he is a big risk. This pony is pretty easy to turn and sell. He's good moving and has a good brain. Put some experience on him and sell him for 10-15K. Then buy a nicer prospect.

ETA: Just looked at the video of the OTTB.... definitely buy the pony. You do a nice job on the OTTB but he doesn't scream UL prospect to me. I DO prefer OTTBs for my own horse. I currently own 5...and have owned many others. The one you tried I would have passed up. He doesn't have the build or balance that I like in OTTBs. Yes you can improve him...but I like to start with better raw material. I'm typically buying for at least a 2* horse....and I can see a diamond in the rough. But there are certain traits that I really want to see...and this one didn't do it for me.

The pony will be an easier and more profitable resale horse....and of these two...that is what I see.

Such a huge ditto that it is ridiculous.
    Get the connemara, flip, have fun doing it and you will have a bigger budget to find what you are looking for and maybe even a tack budget.

I flipped a Connemara this fall... he was on the market for less than 10 days, and I could have asked more for him, and got calls about him for weeks later.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

Thanks for all the replies! I really did like the Connie, I honestly don't know why I enjoyed the TB so much. Just out of curiosity BFNE and others, what about the TB did you not like and didn't see in him as a good prospect? I think I will take the pony as the safer bet, but who knows he may not pass the vet check!

Quote Originally Posted by horsenic View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I really did like the Connie, I honestly don't know why I enjoyed the TB so much. Just out of curiosity BFNE and others, what about the TB did you not like and didn't see in him as a good prospect? I think I will take the pony as the safer bet, but who knows he may not pass the vet check!
    I didn't dislike the OTTB but he didn't strike me an outstanding prospect--especially compared to the very marketable pony. If your goals were just to go training level....then I'd say he is probably just fine---and he has a super cute face. But with higher goals, he just doesn't have the "look"...you never really know when when looking at green but you want to stack the odds in your favour. His legs are short, his stride is short and crooked and he just doesn't look to have any scope to his movement and then you add some attitude/herd bound to the mix and I move on. OTTBs can move short just off racing but ones that have been let down with the UL potential--they will typically have more scope to their movement. I'm not talking about WB movement but it is movement that you look at an know they are athletic and will be capable of jumping a big jump. The ones that have that look right after racing---you grab them quick.

Go watch the first videos for the Retired Race Horse program 100 day challenge. I'd have taken any one of those 4 horses.

My current project OTTB (just turned 5) had been let down for a couple of months when I went to look at him. We free schooled him a bit and free jumped him. He jumped back and forth over the jump by himself like a dog with a new toy and had an outstanding canter. When I got on him (first rider on him since racing) he did everything I asked W-T -C (although power steering was not fully installed , even stepped over some rails....and the entire time, he kept flicking an ear back to me--checking in with me the entire ride. The video of the OTTB you posted just didn't give me that same feeling.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 4, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by horsenic View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I agree the Connemara is super, I was impressed. The thing with the TB is that I haven't had so much fun on a horse for a long time. I just loved riding him. Plus $4000 is pushing my budget quite a bit, and with $1000 I'd have more left to work with for clinics, shows, etc. Really all I'm looking for is a horse with lots of potential, to be able to get a good start on before the summer show season. If we find out it's only going to be a LL horse I'll flip it, but if it's going to be able to work its way up the levels I'll keep it. The thoroughbred comes with a week or two trial period, so I may do that and if it doesn't work out get the Connemara. Still really on the fence though.
    To me it sounds like you've already made your mind up, however, I would listen to what everyone else has to say. I'll throw in that I had three lower level projects in my barn this fall; a purebred Connemara, a Conn x TB, and a TB. Guess which ones sold first, and for a better price? I still have the TB, haven't even had anyone come look at him, despite the fact that he is a genuinely quiet, ammie friendly boy (and has hunted an entire season with my husband in the tack) and is sound. The posts on this thread are correct, you will be able to show the pony this year, and he will sell much more quickly with a bit of mileage than the TB. In a couple years time you could have him running around Training level, sell him, and have a lot more to spend on a suitable upper level prospect.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

If you don't buy the pony can you pm me the info? Would work for a client and are fine with buying off video

Just reading your posts, horsenic, it sounds like you very much want the the TB but are looking for affirmation because the TB is a risk while the pony is much less of one.

Buy the horse you really want, the TB, but don't pay $1,000 for him. Make a reasonable offer to save you maybe a few hundred dollars. Then have a blast with him and help bring him along. He didn't look incredibly well behaved. He needs a ton of work. And if you're willing and wanting to give that to him, go for it.

Everyone is looking for something different. Some people enjoy the ready made ride, where they can mount and have a well trained horse working with them to progress. Others enjoy the challenge of the greenie. If you buy the TB and don't like him as much as you did in six months or a year as you do now, you can see him for at least as much as you're paying for him, and you at least got the fun ride. You'd probably end up turning a small profit on him, which means a bigger budget for you on your next shopping venture.

The TB is a risk, but it's a risk you seem very willing to take. Go for it!

1 members found this post helpful.

I guess my opinion is going to be different (I have a conn/tb and I also love ottbs so no real bias) because I think most ammy's truly don't need "an upper level prospect." Hey, just calling it like I see it because life gets in the way and it is hard to find the time/finances to get above prelim. Therefore, I would buy the horse that fits my style of riding, my budget and makes me look forward to every ride. If you liked the TB than buy him. I thought he was cute and while maybe not the most talented horse he certainly wasn't badly behaved for not having any schooling You booted him a few times (which he needed) and he didn't pissed about it. He has no steering but he wanted to make the right shape with his body. I thought he used his shoulder well. While the gaits aren't fancy he looks like he could be consistent in the bridle with time.

Resale value is important but for a personal horse it really is more about what you enjoy riding.

Thanks for the replies! I did really enjoy the TB, but I've been thinking and there may be a chance that next September I'll be going away for six months. If this were to happen and I have to sell whatever I get, the pony will be much more profitable even with only six months on him. Who knows where the thoroughbred will be at that point, and even so there really isn't a market around here for OTTBs even with 6 months put on. The Connemara is the safer bet, and even though I had a ton of fun riding the TB, the connie had me smiling too He was just such a good boy and tried soo hard to please. After making a profit with him I'll be able to start looking for that UL prospect, with the little more wiggle room in expenses I'll have. Thanks for the help! I think right now I should get something that I'll have fun on and will develop quite quickly, and something versatile with hacking out alone, trailering alone, etc. I just feel the Connie is the safer bet at this point, and will be lots of fun in the process

I think that Connie is wonderful. I kinda wish you weren't planning to flip him..I think he deserves to go to a home right off the bat that has intentions of doing something with him, because they believe in him. You have to have your heart in the right place. So, I would go with the OTTB, and let someone who really wants that super cute Connie as a heart horse. He's obviously had a great life so far..once they are flipped who knows where they'll end up. He's a doll, but maybe not for you. JMHO

3 members found this post helpful.

Who knows, I may not end up flipping him. He'll have a great home with me, will be my heart horse until something comes up and I'd have to sell him. I wasn't originally buying to flip, I'd like to take the horse as far as I can. I think he has a ton of potential and I'd like to take him there, but circumstances come up. If I do have to sell him come September I'll make sure he goes to someone where he will be their forever horse, no more moving on for him. Right now though I think he's my better pick, and both the owner and I know he'll go to a great home and get plenty of experiences under his belt. I think it will be a good experience for the both of us. The TB is just a risk I'm unsure I'm willing to take right now, but we'll see how the vetting goes, etc

IMO I'd go with the pony. Reason is he looks easy enough and smart. Seems to be very trainable and would be a very easy flip if needed. He looks as if he could easily be a packer if trained correctly pretty quick and you don't see many Connies for sale which will help in the price being higher. Tbs are truthfully a dime a dozen and if this guy is always going to be a hard ride then if you have to flip him for a ll mount he would be a harder sell. You can't really tell at this point if he would be an inter mount so you are taking a risk. I'd flip the pony next year for much much more money then buy the tb or whatever that is already going at least training and you know that one has the ability to move up. Jmo
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I liked them _both_ quite a bit for what you said you were looking for. I think you're a winner either way! The Connemara is more my type, but I thought the TB did look like a lot of fun. BTW I think your leg and seat are fantastic -- you have such a solid foundation in the saddle.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Thanks for the compliment Rallycairn! Oh goodness now I'm on the fence again. I did love the connemara but the thoroughbred was so much fun, and I know that I'll always enjoy riding him even if he is naughty for a long while. I just know he'll have pretty much zero resale value. Ugh hopefully vetting completely rules one out. Did anyone notice anything funky going on with the TBs right hind leg movement? I can't see anything but my friend says something funky is going on. Thanks!

Listen to Janet; I agree w/ her. While the Connemara is more expensive, the TB is going to eat up the difference in your budget on lessons & training - and probably will need more professional help -even if you dont' think so, you will or at least should. The Connemara looks like a nice sensible (and might add absolutely adorable) fellow. While he might not scream upper level potential you would have a blast on him going up the levels and he looks sensible enough to start and I would venture to say jump without hesitation whereas the OTTB might be a little goofier about jumping - meaning clear/clean vs refusals... Connemara right now you have no mental retraining issues, cannot necessarily say the same for OTTB.. and then you have whatever soundness issues might come along w/ the OTTB... I am being partial to Irish bred horses and that Conny is what I'm looking for in my next animal so call me biased.

I thought the OTTB looked funky behind but that could totally just be because he was out of shape.

If you think you are going to have to sell in the fall....the pony is the safer buy (even though the TB is more my own personal type of ride). He will have marketability in a few areas. The OTTB wasn't horrible but it will be the harder re-sale just off the two videos (unless you tell me he is 16.3 and blemish free...and passes the vet totally clean). But even then...there are just not as many people who will pay decent money for a harder ride.

For resale quickly, the quiet and calm ones are more marketable.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Hmm yeah the funkiness behind is kind of worrisome. If the pony vets I think I'll take him, develop him and have some fun with him and then if need be resell and have the funds to buy a nice prospect later on. Thanks for the input!

Just to chime in a little here. All this talk of flipping, resale etc.

Life is short and not always fair. Ride a horse you enjoy - there is no guarantee a horse will change/improve, no guarantee he'll sell for a profit or at all. (And start out with something sound.)
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

2 members found this post helpful.

Just to throw out an option C--if you really think that neither of these horses are likely to meet your needs (intermediate?) then I would probably keep looking vs. trying to do a short term flip to slightly increase your budget. That's a lot of risk for minimal payout.

There are a lot of assumptions being thrown out about both horses (which will be quieter, which will be bolder o/f) which seem hard to substantiate when they have 15 rides in one case and 1 ride OTT in the other. Green horses are a big risk because you don't know these things, but if you feel like neither is athletic enough for what you want to do then maybe that is your answer?

4 members found this post helpful.

Honestly? 4,000 for a cute, sturdy Connemara with those listening ears, trying to stay in contact with you and applying himself to all sorts of questions in that arena is a steal of a deal! If you don't grab him, he won't be for sale long........

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Read BFNE's post over and over; she nailed it.

That pony is super cute and you could easily have him out showing this summer.
    Yes yes yes yes yes.

Also, too: I think if you saw 10 more pony types in that price range you would like him best. He proved he's a great example of why you'd buy that kind of horse. Great mind. Cute, solid. Sensible but forward thinking. Agree with those who said you could have fun right away and flip him.

The problem as I see it is that you are comparing a rock star pony to an okay OTTB.

I love love love OTTB's and am a big fan of buying the horse who sets your soul on fire and all of that, but if you really don't want the pony and feel committed to an OTTB, honestly I think there's a nicer OTTB out there.

I think that if you actually can spend up to $4,000 then instead of comparing THAT $1000 OTTB to THAT $4000 pony, compare THAT $1000 OTTB to anything else you could get for up to $4000.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil