The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    So you don't know either, eh?
    I don't know because published heights are notorious for being incorrect when it comes to the "smaller" stallions. I have stood next to a few that were supposed to be 16-16.1hh that were clearly NOT.

In Europe he is known as "small" and needing to be put on mares that will add height. It's why your comment is even more odd to me knowing that you didn't even know that and thought he was big.

Holy cow. Nice horse. NICE horse.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Holy cow. Nice horse. NICE horse.
    Yes and BTW I LOVE him. And think he could be even smaller and still perfect

I love love love him! I have been following him for some time, and he just gets better and better! In my eyes he is is the whole package. He is so elastic and soft. He really looks rideable. I appreciate how amazing most international horses look, but I would only want to ride a few. He is at the top of my list.

I thought he was taller. I think they call that presence on any continent.

I don't know why you questioned me so rudely, especially when i am so obviously admiring of the horse?? I just fruitbatting thought he looked bigger. So what?

1 members found this post helpful.

Seriously katerine I didn't mean to be rude...it's just people complaining or mentioning how "small" he is drive me nuts. The thread took an even weirder turn when I realized you were commenting about his size because you thought he was big!

I have really liked him and his offspring for a few years, if you do enough reading about him you will see all the comments about him being small. Just a pet peeve, none of it was personal.

I know the horse and the rider and the owners personally. Yes he is in the 16.1 -16.2 range. Helen is very very petite, under 5'5 and probably weighs 100lbs soaking wet. He has no trouble getting mares - and most of his offspring are actually taller than he. But the focus has always been on his career and not on breeding from the owners perspective. They breed limited outside mares so he can focus on competitions. Helen rides several of his "kids" as well - and all are taller and cleaned up at the BuCha last few years - Damon's Delorange and Damon's Satellite - to name 2 of them.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2013 Reserve Champion Westfalen Pony Stallion Licensing

i love damon hill. i would *love* to breed my mare to him. out of curiosity - why is his price so high?

Bear in mind that the published height for most European stallions is the official measurement taken at their stallion selection or licensing. In most cases, the stallion is only 2-1/2 years old at that point, and although testosterone does close the growth plates earlier, many of the stallions will put on a bit of height in the following years. In some cases, it may only be a half inch, while other stallions may put on up to 2 inches or so.

Damon Hill is reported at 1.65m. That converts to just under 65 inches, so about 16.1h.
    Most European professional riders would consider that a bit small, partly because many of them are themselves tall - esp. the men - but also because it is generally easier to sell horses in the 16.2h-17h range (larger market).

And yes, DH is a fantastic horse, and described by some very knowledgeable people as one of the very best Donnerhall sons ever. He is rapidly getting up there with the top echelon of Donnerhall sons - alongside Don Schufro, De Niro, Dream of Glory, etc. - a truly worthy heir to his sire.

Too bad his frozen is pretty much worthless. Read the semen distributors were sending warnings that his frozen is basically useless. Shame.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Nice horse, well ridden. The picture would be so much nicer with a helmeted rider though. I'm just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Too bad his frozen is pretty much worthless. Read the semen distributors were sending warnings that his frozen is basically useless. Shame.
    Yes. Indeed a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol O View Post
    Nice horse, well ridden. The picture would be so much nicer with a helmeted rider though. I'm just sayin'...
    SUPER horse, BEAUTIFULLY ridden. And I don't think a helmet would have either enhanced or taken away from "the picture".

They looked GREAT.

I admire Ingrid Klimke very much.

She deserves a mention on this thread for training the horse to GP and for coaching this team. HL deserves credit too but just wanted to mention Ingrid on this thread about the horse she trained to GP and her student, HL.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Seriously katerine I didn't mean to be rude...it's just people complaining or mentioning how "small" he is drive me nuts. The thread took an even weirder turn when I realized you were commenting about his size because you thought he was big!

I have really liked him and his offspring for a few years, if you do enough reading about him you will see all the comments about him being small. Just a pet peeve, none of it was personal.
    You were rude. Calling it a pet peeve doesn't turn rudeness into radishes. Your rudeness wasn't personal, those two things aren't mutually inclusive. You don't know that I'm in Alabama (not Europe) with TWH geldings and not active in any discussion -anywhere- regarding breeding trends in Dressage.

I appreciate that you misunderstood my questions. I would also appreciate an apology.
    Last edited by katarine; Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM.