The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It has to be Hope!

Good work, and please update with a photo if possible.

A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I PM'd you. Sent a bit for the poor wee gal.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Wow! I will send a donation asap. Good work and please keep the updates coming.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

My initial response isn't fit for the bb, as it involved cursing in disbelief.

More comfortable than ever that I sent a dribble I had earmarked for another purpose. Where it was suppose to go...that horse is holding it's own. Charity needed it more.

Poor sweetheart. I hope the babe is well and mom comes through this and finds health and happiness. I'm angry on her behalf.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

I sent in my dribble!

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I'm so very sorry everyone.
    At 7:15 Charity slipped away...

Even with every possible medical intervention, the vets and support staff at Ohio State just could not keep their grip on her.

She was gone in minutes. They tried to save the foal inside her but she took that itty bitty baby with her, wherever she has gone...

I'm angry. I'm sad. I'm sick with disgust. I know our help was too little, too late. I know she tolerated our efforts but I truly wonder if she was just thankful for a warm place to land so she could free herself from the chains forever.

The vets will do an autopsy then her cremated ashes will be .... I don't know, spread somewhere.

Her story is not over. There are medical bills to pay. And then there is the task of taking her owner to court. Please consider continuing your donations. Every penny gets our team closer to prosecution for this disgusting act of neglect.

I laid my hands on her jagged bones, buried by her rough coat. I held her head while she cringed through wound washes and bandage wraps. I studied her dark, liquid eyes. They stared wide back at me and in them, there was a long torturous story. I never thought I was witnessing the final pages of it.

One moment, she was there, trying to hide from us in plain sight. And the next, gone...

Hope and Charity, I bid you safe travels wherever you're headed.
    And I. I shall keep up the good fight.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm so sorry. (((hugs)) She knew the best care and love at the end.

3 members found this post helpful.

So Sorry. Your efforts weren't in vain as she knew the power of love before she went. Godspeed.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am so, so sorry to hear this. At least she had a little time with people who wanted to do right by her.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

2 members found this post helpful.

I am so very sorry but am happy that she was cared for and knew love once you rescued her.

I am so sorry to hear that, I was so hopeful the little girl would pull through.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I'm so sorry, Sarah. You are an angel, and little Charity experienced love & compassion before she left this earth -- love is the greatest gift. It still hurts like hell -- It hurts like hell when it's your own critter that has had a good life of love & plenty; knowing what she came from adds a whole other emotion -- ANGER!

I hope everyone will give what they can to make sure that the Medina SPCA has the resources to nail her abuser to the fullest extent the law allows. Please keep us updated, Sarah! And, use social media to get anyone within driving distance to show up in person at those hearings.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I am so sorry. As others have said, at least she knew love and comfort at the end. I hope that, if the law enforcement peeps do not mete out a severe enough punishment, that the evil perp who abused these animals will encounter someone of the S, S & S persuasion.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I'm so sorry for her passing. I'm glad she had you all there for her, showing her kindness and compassion. I know she felt your consideration and care for her.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I am so heartbroken and sad. I just feel so badly for this little girl. Thank you for all you have done.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Thank you so much for trying so hard. May the mighty hand of the universe return very quickly to visit the person who inflicted such pain on that little mare.

I am so sorry. I will send a bit to help with the bills and prosecuting the SOB who did this to this poor mare . . . but you should remember that at least for her last few days, she knew warmth, comfort, and care, which is more than she probably knew for most of her life, and that was because of YOU.

I am so so very sorry to hear this news. And we always seem to ask ourselves if we hadn't arrived on the scene earlier could the (fill in the blank with whatever critter is being neglected) have been saved.

Not wanting to hijack but just want to say that in many areas (like mine) livestock are not given the same consideration as neglected dogs, etc. It's up to those of us who know horses and neglectful situations to stay on top of any situation we see that's sketchy. It took us 6 years - yes 6 years - to semi-resolve a case of horse neglect in our community. We had to go through proper channels but we finally got an AC officer who went to the mattresses and for the FIRST time in 6 years, these 3 horses aren't starving through the winter. But it took dedicated people who were educated horse owners to contact and keep contacting local officials in a calm and professional manner to get things changed. Fair? No. Efficient? No. But the way it is. Us horse folk gotta have good eyes and animal control on the speed dial.

OK - getting off my freshly painted, newly reinforced soap box...this just hits home for me.

Hugs and prayers for you, WindfieldFarm, for all you've done and will continue to do. Peace for Charity and her baby. And a pox on all these fools who continue to neglect and starve and abuse the animals that depend upon them.

As the tears stream down my face, I feel so grateful that Charity had the warm blanket of love and kindness to ease her journey over the Bridge. At the same time I feel such hatred for those who perpetrated this abomination. Bless you, winfieldfarm, and your coangels, and know that my check is on the way, preferably earmarked to put those subhumans behind bars.