The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

Default One little pony needs our help - Update: we lost her and the foal too...

I don't normally post requests for any kind of rescue help here as I know COTH is flooded with good people offering support to rescues in their own neck of the woods.

But I feel compelled to ask for some of us to lend a hand on this one.

The Medina County SPCA in Ohio seized a mini mare and a young dog from a backyard last Thursday. The dog is a juvenile, tied outside in a dog harness, and the harness was embedded in the dog's armpits and chest.

But the pony, bless her little soul, was tied choke chain style, around her neck. No halter, just a large link chain noosed around the meat of her neck. As you can imagine, the flesh had given way and the granulated tissue was already growing through the links of the chain. She is very emaciated and her body score is, well, not high.

But she's up, perky, and eating. Her initial blood tests confirm extreme dehydration and malnutrition. As anyone in rescue knows, she's not out of the woods yet.

Here is the Facebook link to the county site. Please be aware that this pic shows the wound from above after the chain was removed. It's kind of gross so be warned.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Here is what I am asking. If anyone can offer a little, please go to the Medina County SPCA website and donate whatever funds you can.

http://medinacountyspca.com

The mare is going to have some surgical debridement done later this week if her blood counts improve. $$$$$$
    And the mountain of first aid supplies that we need to change her dressings until she is healed will be more $$$$$$$$$

She is starved, wormy, has lice, and needs teeth and foot care as well.

I realize some may say from afar that one pony like this should be peacefully passed on to the heavens and the organization should go out and save more numbers of healthy animals. If that is your feeling, then please don't feel obligated to donate.

But we all know that our horses are far stronger than we imagine and can come through terrible circumstances and near death experiences.

I am a volunteer on this chapter's Equine Emergency Response Team. While I don't have lots of time or money to offer this chapter on a regular basis, when a horse is in an emergency situation where they need very knowledgeable horsemen there to get the horse out, I get the call, any time day or night. I have helped this chapter pull horses from lakes and mud holes. I have held a dying horse's head more than once on starvation cases. I have shipped horses out of deplorable conditions who could barely walk onto the trailer. You can say what you want about rescues in general. But I can assure you that this chapter is full of amazing caring humans with a singular goal. That goal is to serve injured, abused, neglected animals in our county.

This little girl needs a little bit from a lot of people to make it through her recovery.

I am already in contact with Horse Health USA, a local stand alone vendor in Massillon, Ohio. I'm hoping they will also help with the cost and supply flow to treat this tiny life.

Can you guys spread the word and show the world that the horse community helps out it's family, one little mini mare at a time if that's who needs it?

Thanks everyone,
    Sarah Vas
    Winfield Farm & Forge
    Last edited by winfieldfarm; Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

6 members found this post helpful.

hhmmmm.... all day this post has been up and no replies?

Here's an update. Helped with a bandage change this morning where the little pony is being held. The majority of the wound is around the top and sides of her neck but her jowls are also badly battered from the weight of the chain banging against her face. The wound is gross, really mealy. She's being a tolerant patient but it is very obvious she is wide eyed and uncomfortable with anything beyond very quiet handling and slow movement of people.

She went the entire night with manure but shortly after her bandage change around nine thirty, she passed a large but fairly dry pile. She didn't have much interest in food all morning but I heard that after the two pm bandage change, she went into her stall and ate.

I hope some of you want to lend a hand to her medical care and legal fees. We aren't asking for general donations to just another county neglect shelter. We're asking for pennies collected specifically for this lovely, little girl.

Please go to my first post and click on the links to see her pics and to donate whatever you can spare so she can have a chance to prosecute the person who did this to her.

Thanks gang

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm glad this wee one found some help, Winfield. Are you going to keep working with her do you think?

Running out the door but will go to their link when I get home and send a dribble.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Done. I couldn't find how to donate to her care specifically, so just sent it to the Medina County SPCA paypal account. Hope that's ok. Please keep updating.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm totally tapped out at the moment but I'm assuming you'll have her for a few weeks at least. I'll send a dribble in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your kindness to this little wretch. I only think euthanasia is the best solution when there are issues that require major medical intervention and/or have a limited prognosis for a comfortable life. This little girl deserves to know what it is like to be adored. The imbedded chain left a nasty wound but it will heal with no long term impact on her quality of life.

Bless you for showing her such compassion.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Thank you to everyone who is sending in a tiny dribble to add to the collection.

I just got back from another bandage change. The wound is looking much better now that it is being kept clean and she no longer has the chain deeply ground into it!

I want to assure all that we are not going to do over the top high end medical intervention. But she is up on her feet, finally starting to pass some manure, and eyes wide open. The medical costs mount because every little procedure, blood test, vet visit, first aid supply box, et al. adds up....

Blood is going to be drawn again tomorrow to compare her liver and kidney values but she has made it through the weekend so far since being seized on Thursday evening. I think this little wee one has a good chance of a full recovery and a healthy normal life. What scars she has in her trust of humans may never be healed though. She is being a very tolerant patient but you can see in her eyes that she is keeping them on us. She is not coming willingly to anyone who enters her stall. She is very head shy to her ears being handled (of course). And she is just stoically standing in her little enclosure when there is a lot of activity and people tending to things in the building.

But she has the most beautiful, immense, liquid brown eyes you have ever seen on a mini. Her gaze is captivating. She has an old soul, a story to tell. She is a survivor, a lady, a feminine sprite of a thing. She reminds me so much of an abused little girl. She has no idea why this was done to her. She has no concept of what humans could possibly offer her in kindness. And she is completely unaware of the delicate and powerful femininity that oozes from her. I can't say if I will end up being her adopter. It's going to be a legal battle to get her justice. She has a long road of healing ahead. And I certainly don't NEED a mini mare! But I hope I can help make her new road an easy one.

I truly hope this little girl comes out of this healed, both inside and out.

Thank you all for your compassion, your donations, and you words of encouragement.

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow. Some people are truly no more than a festering wound on the butt of society.

12 members found this post helpful.

Hi, Hope she continues to recover. I just sent $25.00 to the Medina County Humane Society. If possible, please direct it to the pony for her care.

3 members found this post helpful.

I, too, am tapped out at the moment, but will donate once my tax refund arrives. Or my horse sells. Or both!

Bless you!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I was always amazed at the number of animals who would come in with chains and collars embedded. No one is that clueless, but they are that heartless. I wish the punishment was to have the same thing done to them, but no, that would be "cruel and unusual".
    You are what you dare.

5 members found this post helpful.

I just donated a little for poor Mini Mare & sent OP a PM w/ transaction #, so that they know it's for her.

Thanks again, Sarah, for donating your time, effort & love to help Mini Mare and other horses in need.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Winfieldfarm, does the mare have a name? I don't do Paypal and want to send a check for her care. Adorable brave little thing

Monday morning bump.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

my heart is full this Monday morning. Thank you to each of you that have sent donations.

The little lady's name is Charity.....

Just spoke with the foster person who has her in custody. She made it through another night. While she is very glum and not eating super heartily, she is up and eyes wide open. She has started to pass manure which we all know is fantastic. A sample has been collected to give to our vet for a fecal egg count.

I helped with the late night bandage change. Today, blood will be drawn again to see if the hydration and food have improved her kidney and liver values. The vets will examine the wound this week to determine if surgically debriding it and stitching the skin flaps closed once freshened will give her a better chance of healing. The nuchal ligament was dangerously close to being severed. The wound is mealy and full of yellow fatty granular tissue. She's very swollen in front of the wound and is not comfortable with her ears being handled or the bandage touching it.

She is still dirty, legs covered with caked mud, coat scurfy and smelly. But we hesitate to do a full beauty treatment on her as we just don't want to stress her. Until she's eating heartily, we want to give her more space. As I said, she is hiding in plain view, hoping nobody notices her.

I am perusing our attempt at getting Horse Health USA on board as a sponsor for this little girl. They are in the next county over from Medina and the founder just passed last month. What a fitting tribute to him for the company to reach out their help and resources to one small soul in need. I will keep all posted on that too.

I've been told the local news will be out today to get more coverage on her so when that occurs I will post a link.

I'm not a religious person but my mother always said that when she sees equine abuse, she reminds me that God's a broodmare and she don't take no nonsense.

For those that are donating through the Medina County SPCA website Paypal.
    Thank you! and I am getting your emails regarding that, forwarding them on to the person at the shelter that handles accounting.

We know our paypal doesn't allow you to tag a specific case for your donation but if you want that done, continue to email my COTH user account or:

email mschlund@medinacountyspca.com

She works tirelessly to run the accounts receivable and payable for our humble little shelter. She is the one person that logs all the donations from paypal and will be sure to funnel your donations directly to Charity's account!

Thank you allllll!!!

Please update when you get the results of the bloodwork.

I truly do not understand how someone could let this happen.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Bump.

And update please? How's Charity doing?

What about the puppy? Any update on how he is now?

Thank you for helping these animals Winfield Farm!
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Please let them know the small dribble I just sent is for Charity...

first i want to say that the person who did this to the pony and to the dog needs to go to jail for years, not be slapped on the hand with probation and a fine. Too many judges and prosecutors don't do their jobs and don't care about animals.

second I am going to make a donation. Man's inhumanity to animals is exceeded only by his inhumanity to humans.

We have several judges here in GA, one in Decatur and one in Brunswick(the one iIn Lawrenceville is now deceased) who sent animal abusers to jail. I contributed to their re-election campaigns to encourage them to continue their sentencing of animal abusers.

I don't envy you the rehab on that neck. I've seen dogs with plastic collars embedded in their necks and horses with nylon halters embedded in their heads, all in IRL, but that chain in the neck is the worst I've ever seen. Good that it is wintertime so not so many issues with flies and maggots, altho doctors are now using maggots to eat dead tissue in some human cases.
    Good luck.

Hey COTH gang, update on Charity.

I had concerns about Charity not looking so good Sunday pm. One of the vets from the clinic treating her came to her foster place Monday night as she had not been eating well all day and had been down too long that evening. The banamine was discontinued as they thought it was slowing down her gut and Ulcerguard was brought into the mix.

I heard this Tuesday morning from her foster caregiver. Something didn't sit right....dropped off the munchkin at school and headed over to see Charity. She looked miserable. She was drawn up, respiration up, hindquarters tucked, tail clamped, not interested in food or anything.

I had done some research on rehabbing a starved equine gut and had lots of good info for the foster gang. But looking at her this morning, it was obvious she was getting worse, not better. Implored the team to do something.

By 12:00 she was on the road to Ohio State Vet Hospital.

Through ultrasound, it was confirmed that she is in heavily in foal and the fetus is alive!

She is now on IV fluid therapy, calcium supplementation, gastro tube for nutrients, warming blankets and cozy care in the ICU!

By the time the team left around 4:00 she was already perking up.
    The good news is that the vets don't think she has any blockages and they confirmed no stomach reflux. That points towards no impactions.

As I wasn't there, I have no idea the payment terms made with OSU but I'm sure they will be significant. So now we have two minis to save, not just one.

FYI, the dog that was also seized is doing great in foster and other than being thin and having injuries from the harness embedded, it's happy and bouncy.

So there you have it. Faith (the pup), Charity (the mini mama) and..... Hope?

Thank you to each and every one of you how have sent donations. We are making sure that it goes directly to this seizure case. And everyone keep sending good juju for uneventful healing of their bodies and minds.

Stayed tuned for tomorrows episode!