The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gave plasma because of a low IgG...after effects...UPDATE post 15 - doing well!

So we opted for the plasma today.

In my opinion the snap test today actually showed closer to 400 (I didn't see the first one) so we did another old fashioned "pass / fail" test and she failed.

We did the plasma around 3:30 today. It was easy...but she's been pretty shaky and it's not getting a ton better Her temp is 101 solid and we put a foal blanket on her. I feel like we just stressed the begeeses out of her and I can't help but feel like we're always doing more harm than good! Just hoping she has a good night with lots of rest and bounces right back.

She's been super spunky but was a lightweight with her sedation...1/3 of a cc took her all the way down and she's probably over 100lbs. Heartrate and breathing stayed perfectly rhythmical. The vet stayed on her the whole time listening because he knew I was so crazy worried. She woke up at the end of it and the timing was pretty perfect. The plasma finished and she managed to kick the vet on the OTHER side of her back and then got to her feet.

She's a spunky one but you can't help but worry... Anyone ever had something like this happen? Any advice? I've already talked to the vet twice who said if her temp stays above 101 there's no "real cause" for worry...
    Last edited by Cassy's Mom; Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM.

My foal had a low IgG down near 400. He also started acting like a dummy foal. Once he got that plasma in him he jumped up immediately and started nursing like crazy. I don't think he had a temp, it was quite a while ago now. Best wishes for your filly.

Jessica, listen to your vet, keep taking her temp occasionally, then leave her alone with mom. No more haltering, teaching to lead, not even turn out in the arena. Let her have some time with her mom. You go have a bottle of wine and some sleep ;-)
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    USSHBA Steering Committe member

7 members found this post helpful.

We've never sedated to give plasma. I didnt know that others did. I find that once they are down and Mom is just hanging out standing above them, they go to sleep and everything is low key and quiet and allows us plenty of time to get it ito them slowly

Hope your filly has bounced back and is her normal and spunky self today

Sometimes you do have to sedate them for the plasma, not often, but sometimes they just don't want to stay down/still.
    What do you mean by shaky? Sometimes during the transfusion you'll have a foal with a bit of an allergic reaction and they do get twitchy. That is why it is critical to start the transfusion at a very slow rate and have the vet adjust as needed. However, those affects are usually transiant and shouuldn't continue. If she is nursing and getting up/down and urinating/passing stools I would just watch her carefully. 101 for a temp doesn't bother me at all. However, if you do think she is running a true fever then be careful with the blanketing; you can artificially raise a fever by blanketing at the same time (but again, I don't consider 101 a fever). Also remember that there could always be something else going on. In a baby with a lowish IgG she could be brewing some other type of infection, even with the plasma. The plasma does help and is the best thing to do, but it isn't a 100% preventive, just as some foals with a naturally high IgG still get sick. I would monitor the temp, check on her often but leave her alone and try not to handle her much right now. Good luck!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Hope this morning brought good news and a happy filly! Best of luck, it can be so stressful!

1 members found this post helpful.

I had foals at a farm that was at risk for rohdococcus for a several years and all the foals born there were given plasma at birth as a precaution against that disease. They were healthy foals receiving plasma before 24 hours of age. They all were sedated. None suffered ill effects from the plasma. I know that you are scared to death with all the bad possibilities. Try to hold onto the thought that the plasma will probably make your filly right as rain. Watch her, monitor her temp, but follow Sylvan Farm's advice, too. Jingling that all will be just fine.

Over the years I have had plasma given to several foals, with no ill effects. Temps on foals can run a bit higher than for adults, so I wouldn't be too worried about 101. I'm with the group who says have a bottle of wine and get some rest.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Hope your filly is doin well today!?! I've only given plasma once and didn't sedate, curious what others typically do? I'm guessing as Hillside said it just depends on how they do?

Jingles for the little girl!!!

A temperature of 101 is normal. I am confused.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

CM hasn't posted anything since that night, I hope that isn't a bad sign

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry! Lux is doing really well. I worked myself into an emotional sickness and after spending the day with her yesterday I went home and collapsed.

She did shake through the evening. I actually posted the 101 temp as a way to say "her temp is normal". I didn't feel like it was high but was trying to say that I didn't think the shaking was due to a low core temp.

Yesterday I was going to force her to "lay low" but she was GALLOPING across the 12x24 stall back and forth and back and forth and driving mom crazy! So I took them for a short 10 min romp in the arena. When I did that Saturday Lux was very tentative and was trying to herd mom to keep her slow. Sunday she was on fire! Poor mom was shocked to have her baby continue to move away from her

We pulled the blanket yesterday AM and there's been no shaking since. I'm going to pull another IgG today and fingers crossed it's perfect!

Thanks for sticking in there with me. I don't know how you full-time breeders do it. I'm totally wrung out from this and in all reality I have a healthy girl!

YEA!!! for a healthy baby! I was holding my breath for you..so stressful. So glad for this update.
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Great news! Thanks for the update.

The vet feels the shaking was from the sedative. It's interesting to hear others don't sedate...I can't imagine getting the catheter in if you didn't sedate! Even sedated she wasn't the easiest little patient...

Glad to hear the good news
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

My vet uses a light sedative for plasma transfer. Perhaps, if the foal wasn't so fiesty, it wouldn't be necessary. Glad to hear your foal is doing well. Breeding horses is not for the faint of heart.
    Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
    2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
    Royal Dutch Sporthorses of exceptional quality
    www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/

Oh YAY!! Whew, you had me worried So so happy to hear this

Glad to hear all is well.
    LOVE her markings!!