The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Default Anyone cliniced with Jimmy Wofford in the last couple years?

I have some questions and would appreciate a resource or 2 for some insight.

Thanks!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I have, fall 2012. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Johanna
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    I have some questions and would appreciate a resource or 2 for some insight.

Thanks!
    What are your ??

What are your questions?
    I have ridden with him a bunch of times in the last year or so- as have a bunch of people here but we cannot help you if we don't know what you want to know
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

I think the OP wishes to be discrete and would prefer PM s

I did a clinic with him last november. Feel free to PM me if you would like.

I have ridden with him a couple of times this year and he has helped me HUGELY. Worth every penny and the time off from work, etc.

I ride with some really great trainers on a regular basis, but there is only one JW. He tells it like it is and actually shows you how to fix it. I had started a bad habit of locking my elbows to the fences and of course my horse was jumping as such ... by the end of the first lesson my horse had his bascule back. Love him.

1 members found this post helpful.

I rode with him last year.
    My guess is he must be better one on one.
    Cool guy.
    Good stories.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Saw him at the ICP clinic in Ocala last month. He was taking notes from Yogi's gymnastics. Would love to clinic with him now and see how he incorporates those lines with his own.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Saw him at the ICP clinic in Ocala last month. He was taking notes from Yogi's gymnastics. Would love to clinic with him now and see how he incorporates those lines with his own.
    Saw the ICP Symposium then stuck around for an additional 2 days to audit Jimmy's clinic.

During the symposium I was struck by how similar sounding Yogi and Jimmy seemed to me. When I commented to Jimmy about the similarity I saw he told me that he and Yogi had both studied under the legendary Lars Sederholm.

Wofford's clinic after the symposium was one of the best I had ever seen him do.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Saw the ICP Symposium then stuck around for an additional 2 days to audit Jimmy's clinic.

During the symposium I was struck by how similar sounding Yogi and Jimmy seemed to me. When I commented to Jimmy about the similarity I saw he told me that he and Yogi had both studied under the legendary Lars Sederholm.

Wofford's clinic after the symposium was one of the best I had ever seen him do.
    Glad you were able to stay for his clinic, but for work I would have. Agree he and Yogi sound much the same, much like my Euro and/or military trained instructors from the 1970's.
    Sorry we didn't meet.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I like his articles and his books and audited a few clinics, he trains the way I was taught back in the day. So I took a clinic with him only to find that my mare hates his megaphone and launched me off into the mud over a double plank oxer (y'know, the illegal one with plank as top rail front and back?) twisting and kicking out at that bleeping m'phone. Good ol' Jimmy said we were "too green to continue with the clinic"...6 weeks later we were #1 on the USEA leaderboard. Hard to say if that was the most motivating clinic ever or a waste of money.

btw my mare still gets freaky whenever we're in the vicinity of Jimmy W. and his megaphone.

I am the type of rider who cannot ride if the trainer talks all the time, so I suggest you audit a clinic or watch some video and honestly assess what kind of trainer works best for you.

We did the J.W. clinic at Longwood, following the ICP.

First, we were warned he didnt like ponies. Well, not only did he like our pony, he loved him, and, again, was able to offer pointers that were solid, and gave immediate results.

Our second horse, came in day one, BUCKING!! I dont mean an occasional twist and shout either. He was in the worst, rarest form, i have EVER seen. No clue why. But Jimmy patienly worked thru the situation, and while Melissa was probably pink at some comments, by das end he was sane, by end of xc, more so.

JW likes to speak, tell stories, explain. It can get long winded, but we like the why this works..... Though it was long at times. He also expects you to pay attention to what the other riders do, and the advice to them. So you get six linics in one.

Most of he clinic was great. If you have the time, funds, do it once. Go from there. He is peobably great for some, maybe not so much so for others!
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Smile Jimmy Wofford

Fantastic, no sugar coating, make sure your horse and tack are in good order and clean. Attend all levels take notes not a canned presentation. The best "eye" in the business. Only negative he's teaching larger and larger groups per level. Would not advise riding if more than 5 horses in a group.
    Money better spent auditing than riding in large group.
    nitro horse