The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

many many?

I shall take your word for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    many many?

I shall take your word for it.
    Katie Price (while not high fashion, she is skinny)
    Gisele Bunchen
    Kate Upton
    Jodie Kidd
    Tara Tomkinson (trained with Mark Todd for a while)
    Madonna (again not high fashion, but skinny)
    Angie Everhart
    Mona Johanneson
    Christy Turlington

And that's just the first few Google search results.

1 members found this post helpful.

Out of curiosity, what DO people think is a "healthy" weight for a 5'6" woman?

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Out of curiosity, what DO people think is a "healthy" weight for a 5'6" woman?
    It completely depends on your build. For example, my dads side of the family have short legs and long torsos with bulkier muscle, while my mom's side family have long skinny limbs, lean muscle, and short torsos, so our while the relative body mass may the same, the weight varies greatly. I've seen people of the same height, varying by 20 lbs, who look exactly the same weight wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    It completely depends on your build. For example, my dads side of the family have short legs and long torsos with bulkier muscle, while my mom's side family have long skinny limbs, lean muscle, and short torsos, so our while the relative body mass may the same, the weight varies greatly. I've seen people of the same height, varying by 20 lbs, who look exactly the same weight wise.
    I agree with you. I guess I just don't understand the opinion of some that some of the models used are, essentially, not normal.

FWIW, my cousin and I have very different builds. She is shorter and more compact than I am. I'm 5'6" and vary anywhere between 125-135 pretty much constantly. She's probably 5'4" and was a competitive gymnast through college and teaches gymnastics now (so still extremely fit). We both look "thin" and we both look fairly muscular (we both build muscle very easily - I had to stop lifting weights before I got married so that I wouldn't look like I was about to pull an Incredible Hulk and throw my 6'4" husband across the room).

We had a weight competition a few Christmases ago because she asserted she weighed more than me (and because we are nuts, lol). I was 130 at the time, and she was 132.

Anyway, based on the commentary here, I feel like some people here would look at me and assume I'm a weakling (unless I am wearing a sleeveless shirt, in which case, you would assume my day job is wrestling alligators).

I guess what I'm saying is that you really can't tell how fit or healthy these models are from their photos.

And, honestly, it IS rude and a bit out of line to make generalizations about "skinny" people, just as it is to make generalizations about "fat" people.

Oh, and my thighs have always touched at the top. Always. Even when I weighed 100 lbs and was the same height I am now.

8 members found this post helpful.

Great post FineAlready.

Look I understand (I think) where the snarkiness comes from against skinny people - I didn't understand until I took anti-depressants one year and the pounds loaded on board without me doing anything. When I got off them, 25 pounds melted off with no effort. It made me realize, people with slow metabolisms can't just stop the AD's & lose the weight. They are stuck with that slow metabolism. It has to suck, seeing others around you where it's so much easier to keep slender.

That said, there *were* some slights & insults above aimed directly at skinny people, as cruel, unfair and unnecessary as insults aimed at heavier people. It hurts both ways you see - all we (I guess I'm claiming to be a skinny person again, being off my AD's!) are asking is to be tactful and remember there are nice, athletic skinny horse people on the hearing end of what you are writing.

I'm 5'6" & seem to settle naturally between 120-125 when off the AD's. In my twenties I had to struggle to stay over 100. Yet at the time I was working on a red belt in martial arts, riding every night, working full time & going for a graduate degree. I also had my own 5 acre farmette and no help. I was wiry, tough, & could bound on a 16 hand horse from the ground. So it's a complete myth that all skinny people are frail weaklings.

At 46 I'm still working the farm on my own, but I seem to have lost the ability to bound onto a 16hand horse from the ground LOL>

Agree they should show models in more ranges. Hang the sales people, can't they lose a few $'s on occasion to make people feel better? LOL TIC

1 members found this post helpful.