The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    Those adds are right on track with the new societal obsession called a "thigh gap":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbar...b_2647646.html
    Sigh. Every generation of teens must reinvent the wheel. This is so 1984.

Back then, before I was fine with being 3-D, I made a Careful And Thorough Study of the Thigh Gap Situation. It turns out that GoForAGallop is right....

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    (BTW, I have a "thigh gap" as well, and I hate to break it to all those young teens out there, but it's mostly just conformational. I have a wide set o' hips on me. But I'm perfectly capable of staying on my bucking/rearing/lurching 4yo TB in a plain-flap saddle so I guess I'm not doing too bad in the "fit and muscular" department.)
    Lots of it has to do with just how wide God made your pelvis. Oh, and chicks can have nothin' between the thighs, yet also some saddle bags. Life evens out in the end.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

I like the model.

But in the spirit of the convo - Fotoshop, by Adobé:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_vVUIYOmJM

"Just one application of Fotoshop can give you results so dramatic, they're almost unreal...istic!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    I like the model.

But in the spirit of the convo - Fotoshop, by Adobé:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_vVUIYOmJM

"Just one application of Fotoshop can give you results so dramatic, they're almost unreal...istic!"
    Too funny!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Too true MVP, 30 years and the application of many chocolate cakes and other rich and delectable foods later my thigh gap is now nicely filled with fat.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Can someone share a link to the ad being commented on for those of us who have ad blocker and do not see it?

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Can someone share a link to the ad being commented on for those of us who have ad blocker and do not see it?
    The woman in these photos:
    http://www.tredstep.com/prod_symp_gen.html

I know several riders that look that skinny. Considering at least one of them is doing grand prix's at a young age I think that being skinny and not looking very muscular has not held back her riding in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    She looks healthy, fit, and athletic. How on earth does she look not muscular?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

5 members found this post helpful.

Count me as one of those who thinks she looks fine.

Breeches aren't flattering on anyone, IMO. Size 0, size 8, sie 16, doesn't matter. We all look ridiculous.

7 members found this post helpful.

Wow. I had a thigh gap when I was in my teens and twenties and was so embarrassed by it. Now I find out I was just ahead of my time. Don't have to worry about it anymore though.

I don't think the models look all that skinny for their ages - but I wouldn't mind seeing some average-sized middle-aged women in ads. I think we probably make up the majority of breeches sales and I think many of us would like to see how the product looks on someone more nearly like ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by fatappy View Post
    Breeches aren't flattering on anyone, IMO. Size 0, size 8, sie 16, doesn't matter. We all look ridiculous.

Riding breeches are like bikini swim suits when it comes to looking good in them. There are like three people in the entire population that look good, everyone else, thin or not, looks silly.

If the models were even just SHORTER for pete's sake I think they would look more like the average person. I'm only 5 feet tall and an easy keeper, those tall thin models are like a different species than I am; no relevance!

3 members found this post helpful.

Every time I get a new Dover's catalog, the models for the clothing just make me cringe. They insist on using the super-thin models that you can tell are just plain skinny, no muscle at all. Like someone else said, there is a difference between being just plain damn skinny and skinny with some meat on your bones. The models in the Dover catalogs are nothing but scarecrows-- there is no way they could stick on a horse, much less keep from being dragged across the ground by a lead rope if the horse so desired.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

I think the modeling industry standard should be a size 12-14 not a size 2 to 4. If a size 14 model* was the standard the average woman can have the reasonable expectation of the outfit looking as good on her as on the model. Just as an aside I've noticed that the plus sized models don't look so angry as their stick thin counterparts.

If the designers can't make a dress look good on the average women then they are not very good at their job now are they?

Rant over.

*http://www.lovelyish.com/768048368/9...-size-model/7/
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by SanJacMonument View Post
    The model isn't that skinny. She looks on the tall side, and with a dancer's body - elegant & healthy to me. Give her a break.

Honestly, if she were a young horse, say a Thoroughbred, what would you say?

I'd say she needs some groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Rush View Post
    The models in the Dover catalogs are nothing but scarecrows-- there is no way they could stick on a horse, much less keep from being dragged across the ground by a lead rope if the horse so desired.
    I see those ultra femme chicks and think, "She's the one who's going to ask me to dump the wheel barrow or lift up the trailer ramp because, while she can perhaps ride, she can't do the heavy lifting."

Then again, I have a stick-figure friend who is a pro, and that woman can and will move tack trunks with the best of 'em.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

So, who wants to talk about the male models for breeches?
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    So, who wants to talk about the male models for breeches?

but we would be done too quickly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

As a 30 year old rider, 5'9" and about 130 pounds - I take offense to quite a bit of what was said here!

I KNOW I am blessed to have my body type and metabolism. I eat like, well, a horse. I get it from everyone, all the time, about how much I suck because I can eat like a 400 pound man and stay in a size 26 breech without exercising.

You know what? It HURTS SKINNY GIRLS FEELINGS just as much as those who are above average in the weight department. Skinny people do naturally exist - not all of us starve ourselves, or work out til we pass out, or vomit after meals.

I have done some modeling and have been in national publications for riding gear. AND YOU KNOW WHAT?!! They photoshopped me to be FATTER so that I wouldn't offend anyone!!

I ran a barn, 40+ horses, for 2 years - by myself. Totally. I now have my horses at home, and can shovel shit and sling bales with the best of them. I ride multiple horses a day - oftentimes the ones that are dangerous or unwanted!

Generalizations to ANY GROUP are unnecessary and hurtful. Do I think that companies should maybe use a range of sizes? Sure. But don't assume just because I am skinny that I am a weakling incapable of fending for myself or lifting anything heavier than a flower.

12 members found this post helpful.