The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Happy medium please? Breeches models....

there are hardly any people in the population who are THAT skinny....why on earth to riding apparel people insist on having them pants modeled by young women one could drive a horse trailer through between their closed (or even crossed) legs?!

They do not look the least bit flattering!

(yeah, I mean that ad on the right sidebar...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow, how incredibly rude. You could have easily asked the same question without insulting slender people. As for there being 'hardly any' skinny people, I beg to differ.

12 members found this post helpful.

As a 3-D woman (who is fine with that), I'm glad you started this thread.

The one model in the blue breeches always catches my eye as "really"? I'm glad I'm not the only one.

No offense to people built like that. IME, even the thinnest of riders look a little more muscular than that. They could have chosen their model better, IMO.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

I'd like to see a model with a few or more extra pounds in some of the pictures so I had a clue how they would look in reality. And I don't mean just a healthy lady with a round face. I think many models really are reasonably tall and slim, it's just that breeches are like modeling sweat pants, they should be filled out at least a little by whoever is in them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Even skinny riders have muscular bodies...those are just "skinny."

2 members found this post helpful.

Anyone remember the Devon aire models that were skinny 'and' looked P.O'd like they wanted to spit on you?
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I wish there was a size 8 model out there. There are really thin models and plus size models. Nothing in the middle.

8 members found this post helpful.

Yuh, I'd like to have a general idea of what the breeches might look like on ME!

Those adds are right on track with the new societal obsession called a "thigh gap":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbar...b_2647646.html

My son is a top line fashion photographer he says twenty years ago, the average fashion model weighed 8 percent less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23 percent less because the average weight of a woman has increased

9 members found this post helpful.

The model isn't that skinny. She looks on the tall side, and with a dancer's body - elegant & healthy to me. Give her a break.

Honestly, if she were a young horse, say a Thoroughbred, what would you say?

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SanJacMonument View Post

Honestly, if she were a young horse, say a Thoroughbred, what would you say?

hum, a fast filly

Not trying to stir anyone up- take this for what is is worth to you, dear reader!!
    The problem with this issue is that while women say that they want realistic images, when clothing lines feature a 'normal' sized woman, the sales actually drop. This has been backed up by advertizing research (fwiw). I have experienced this personally when marketing my small business. Women will complain that they want to see 'bigger' girls and not 'skinny teens', etc, etc,etc. When a 'normal' sized woman is featured, the item that is being advertized just doesn't sell as well.
    The same goes for cosmetics and dolls. Realistic *usually* doesn't move product.
    Which is interesting. And a sad statement.

9 members found this post helpful.

Ouch. That does sound too true about the sales. I dislike the thigh gap as well, those ladies don't seem strong, they seem underweight, but I can see just how many people would buy a breech it it were plastered to my lumpy behind. Amazing how what we think is so different from what we say.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ViewParadise View Post
    Not trying to stir anyone up- take this for what is is worth to you, dear reader!!
    The problem with this issue is that while women say that they want realistic images, when clothing lines feature a 'normal' sized woman, the sales actually drop. This has been backed up by advertizing research (fwiw). I have experienced this personally when marketing my small business. Women will complain that they want to see 'bigger' girls and not 'skinny teens', etc, etc,etc. When a 'normal' sized woman is featured, the item that is being advertized just doesn't sell as well.
    The same goes for cosmetics and dolls. Realistic *usually* doesn't move product.
    Which is interesting. And a sad statement.
    that is because the buyer doesn't visualize themselves as being the size they are... their mind's eye has them as something different

Same goes for car ads, few if any sports car drivers are really sports car drivers but they sure believe they are

Hate to break it to you whiners, but I looked at some larger images and while some of those images have been photoshopped, that woman (it's the same in all the photos) is a PERFECTLY healthy weight.

She's got some meat on her rear end and thighs, and has a chest, but she is blessed with model-long legs that would make anyone look good, even if she were 10lbs heavier. You can see her "extra padding" easier in the tan breeches (a wake up call to how truly unflattering they are, even if you're a model!!!), and the dark french blue breeches make her seem a little slimmer (combined with some photoshop) as a good pair of dark colored pants will do for ANYONE.

Seriously, lay off. I would not be surprised if she's a rider. She got smacked a couple extra times with the beauty stick, and she's muscled and absolutely 100% a healthy weight, even if it's no longer the norm because America trends towards heaviness.

(BTW, I have a "thigh gap" as well, and I hate to break it to all those young teens out there, but it's mostly just conformational. I have a wide set o' hips on me. But I'm perfectly capable of staying on my bucking/rearing/lurching 4yo TB in a plain-flap saddle so I guess I'm not doing too bad in the "fit and muscular" department.)

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Hate to break it to you whiners, but I looked at some larger images and while some of those images have been photoshopped, .)
    .... that is digital enhanced .... photoshop doesn't have enough power

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    .... that is digital enhanced .... photoshop doesn't have enough power
    I'm not sure I understand this quote? Photoshop is the industry standard for digital image editing and altering. More colloquially, "photoshopped" has come to mean an image edited by any software, in much the way "Kleenex" was once a solely a brand name and is now just what people ask for when they need a tissue, no matter what the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this quote? Photoshop is the industry standard for digital image editing and altering. More colloquially, "photoshopped" has come to mean an image edited by any software, in much the way "Kleenex" was once a solely a brand name and is now just what people ask for when they need a tissue, no matter what the brand.
    thanks; yes photoshop is trademarked Adobe Photoshop®

specific digital enhancement programs done properly will not cause distortions of the model's features but will actually alter a model's appearance in a way that does not distort the image

the average photo shop image alteration method is slice erase cut paste

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    thanks; yes photoshop is trademarked Adobe Photoshop®

specific digital enhancement programs done properly will not cause distortions of the model's features but will actually alter a model's appearance in a way that does not distort the image

the average photo shop image alteration method is slice erase cut paste
    The images are not distorted....and there is plenty more to Photoshop than "slice erase cut paste." I suspect that you are not that familiar with the program, if you're suggesting it is "not powerful enough" for some basic image altering.

But as that's neither here nor there in terms of discussing the weight of models modeling equine products, I suggest we get back to the regularly scheduled programming.