The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone use their own tens unit for pain relief?

So, to make a long story sort of short, I got bucked off my youngster before x-mas and limped away with a foot with a sub-luxed metatorsal joint....ouch! Anyway, it's still sore, but I have also aggrievated my knee reconstruction by compensating for my sore foot...my list of injuries speaks for how long I have been riding I guess

Anyway, I have been going to the Physiotherapist and he has been putting the tens machine on my knee...all I can say is it's heavenly.

Does anyone use one of these at home? What do you think? My husband has a lot of arthritis pain and maybe he could get some relief with this as well. I'm just looking for some feedback since I didn't even know you could get one of these things...and I see they are advertised on one of the banner ads here. Good, bad, indifferent?

I do, I do!! I have chronic tendonitis in my left elbow, thanks to mucking stalls. I had the cortisone injections, wore the brace, etc., but the thing that really helps is the tens unit. I found one online. I now only use it for flare ups...but when I had the initial problem I used it literally every day for a couple of weeks, then reduced the use until I was pain free.

I love it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have one and use it when needed. You will not regret the purchase at all.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

I love mine...I got it through my chiropractor, so my insurance paid for it. Check to see if yours will!

I use it for my hips and shoulder. Couldn't live without it!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Kind of. Microcurrent, not TENS.

I bought a Bestvet unit for my horses a few years ago. A bodyworker I use made me a believer after using it on my TB gelding and making a big difference. So I went out and bought one. Absolutely love it on the horses and use mine frequently...especially at shows.

I decided to try it on myself when I was commuting daily to a Canada show (so 4ish hours in the car each way every day, meaning 8 hours a day of driving on top of riding a horse who was FLINGING me around in the tack at the time). So I used the sticky pads and turned the unit on and spent 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening with that unit running. I have never felt better at a show (in regards to muscle soreness and overall exhaustion), and never took a single pill (tylenol, advil, or other), and that's a first.

I'm a huge believer in microcurrent and tens units now, and any time I have a sore muscle or injury of any sort I whip that thing out immediately. Even my "non-believer" husband resorts to using it on occasion.

I don't know how a TENS unit differs from a Microcurrent unit in feeling, but if it's similar then I think it's a great thing to have in your arsenal!

Yep! I love mine.

Yes, as do several people at work, plus my boss. We ordered ours from Overstock.com where it ran about $35 and came - literally - the day after I ordered it. It's the one with the most number of ratings, I believe... Check it out - well worth the little bit of moolah for a lot of relief!

I got mine through LG Medical. It cost about $100 (including shipping). It has the ability to run2 sets of electrodes and had variable programs and variable intensity and variable timing.

I first used one when rehabbing from a broken neck. It was the only thing that allowed me to function. Now I have a bad back and I use it when mucking, standing or walking for long periods, etc. It is magical.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Love mine! Insurance paid for it during the course of multiple back surgeries. It is full size, similar to what a physical therapist would use (I also have a smaller, portable one that I can wear and take with me). I have used it for multiple aches and pains in addition to the back issues. Definitely worth it if you can get one.
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Yes, as do several people at work, plus my boss. We ordered ours from Overstock.com where it ran about $35 and came - literally - the day after I ordered it. It's the one with the most number of ratings, I believe... Check it out - well worth the little bit of moolah for a lot of relief!
    Thanks enablers! I just bought this one for myself. I am excited!