The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

The Musical Jumper thread where it all the lies start to unravel is post 143.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...Musical-Jumper
    Last edited by 5; Mar. 5, 2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: edit to add link.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Wow. I'm amazed at what some horses will tolerate!

If someone tried to do that to my mare she'd lie down on them. I would have kicked that kid in the teeth.

I was always taught that the horses mouth is sacred and reins should be handled like you are holding baby birds (love Swift). Whoever gave this little wench the idea that she knew what she was doing needs a swift kick too.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daatje View Post
    Wow. I'm amazed at what some horses will tolerate!

If someone tried to do that to my mare she'd lie down on them. I would have kicked that kid in the teeth.

I was always taught that the horses mouth is sacred and reins should be handled like you are holding baby birds (love Swift). Whoever gave this little wench the idea that she knew what she was doing needs a swift kick too.
    I bolded what I am responding to above.

That is a very important concept, that I see ignored regularly by so many, in English and other disciplines and it makes me feel VERY SAD.

To get the western drapey rein look, much training is yanking, not teaching with a soft hand what they want.
    To get and maintain contact, there is not a light touch, but hands resisting with pounds of force until the horse "gives" into contact.
    Not even bringing up "tie downs" and kick and yank riding or the NH overbending to death.

I know, I know, we are getting better all the time, but I sure wish we hurried up so all may understand what a kind hand and soft feel really are.
    Now, in a huff, I will get off my soap box.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Side reins and draw reins at the same time,
    That woman who does Dancing Horses or "whatever" appeared at the Horse Expo in Sacramento a couple of years ago, and she was riding one of her Friesians* (which could passage and piaffe but not go in a straight line or do a proper circle) in a double bridle, drawreins and a martingale. So side reins and drawreins - I absolutely believe it could happen.

*She also had a "rare as the mythical unicorn" (so rare it doesn't exist) CHESTNUT Friesian (supposedly purebred). "Imported from Europe." Uh...more likely EXPORTED in the dark of night before the registry yanked the sire and dam's papers.....

I believe the OP's story because, without empathy, people, regardless of age are capable of horrendous acts of ego, which is what that kid had going on. I also believe the OP because she described herself as acting with a lot of emotion and did not make herself out to be completely in control of it. Somebody making up a story would probably characterize themselves as sauntering over and saying something pithy that made the kid immediately see the light.

Thank you, OP, for sticking your neck out so the horse could get rid of a pain in his.

Curious to know if the "rider" has shown up at the barn again or has been told to never come again... how about the person who was leasing the horse? How did this girl get on the horse in the first place. Some heads should be rolling.
    Glad to know the horse will recover.
    Thanks OP

3 members found this post helpful.

I too could totally see this type of thing happening because, well, I've seen it happen. Had a Meredith Manor student board at our barn over the summer last year. I popped over the hill coming back from a trail ride and what do I see? Girl in the riding arena on her *massive* green-broke draft cross, draw reins with a curb bit and so many straps tying his head into place the poor gelding looked like a Rube Goldberg contraption. She was yanking HARD on his mouth and spurring the bejeebus out of him with I kid you not the biggest, nastiest set of spurs I've seen in my life. It was ugly to see.

I got to the barn, hopped off my horse and was fixing to call the BO because it was a nasty display going on in that arena but before I could dial her number the horse blew. Bucked her off so hard she went airborne and then ran over her, turned that girl into a grease spot in the arena. Her mom scraped her up and took her to the hospital. She ended up having a broken collar bone, broken arm and fractured ankle.

I'm sure it would have been a big old scene between her, her mom, BO and I if the horse hadn't handled the situation first. I wasn't going to watch that crap and BO doesn't let that kind of behavior fly on her her property.

But yeah. Sadly I have no trouble believing someone of any age would be stupid enough to do that to a horse.

Having watch a teen aged boy yank his horse around in a 10m circle kicking and pulling, kicking and pulling, I can believe this. Fortunately the young man had never been introduced to gadgets. And unfortunately I was not in a position to influence the outcome.

Never forgot what a disgusting piece of slime he was!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I have learned not to believe everything I read on the net.

If something looks WAY over the top, sometimes it turns out to be just that.

Maybe this happened as the OP described and maybe it didn't happen that way .

ABSOLUTELY INSANE STORY?? For me that title coupled with the story makes me wonder about credibility.

There will always be people who will believe everything they read, especially if it fits with their own world view and they want to believe it. ;-)

1 members found this post helpful.

Well I think it goes without saying we shouldn't believe everything we read on the net. If we did then State Farm wouldn't have all those awesome apps and a lot of us ladies would probably be dating French models (bonjour! )

Way over the top? I don't think this story is. Dramatized a bit? Maybe.

ABSOLUTELY INSANE STORY? Maybe to some people's standards and likely the OP's but surely not to everyone. Not insane by my standards, for it to warrant an insanity rating it would have to involve snatching the girl off the horse and giving her a beat-down or something along those lines. Seen that happen once too and lemme tell ya, it was insane! Although that incident was centered less on poor horsemanship and more on two tactless women realizing they were sharing one philandering boyfriend.

True or not, I dunno. Plausible scenario, sure.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Well I think it goes without saying we shouldn't believe everything we read on the net. If we did then State Farm wouldn't have all those awesome apps and a lot of us ladies would probably be dating French models (bonjour! )

Way over the top? I don't think this story is. Dramatized a bit? Maybe.

ABSOLUTELY INSANE STORY? Maybe to some people's standards and likely the OP's but surely not to everyone. Not insane by my standards, for it to warrant an insanity rating it would have to involve snatching the girl off the horse and giving her a beat-down or something along those lines. Seen that happen once too and lemme tell ya, it was insane! Although that incident was centered less on poor horsemanship and more on two tactless women realizing they were sharing one philandering boyfriend.

True or not, I dunno. Plausible scenario, sure.
    I agree gaitedglory. Didn't find the story INSANE - actually its the type of stuff that happens way too often. Heck, I once shared a barn with a shady WP trainer - I can share some "insane" stories of her deplorable "training" techniques.

Umm, I want to her YOUR insane story!!

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I agree gaitedglory. Didn't find the story INSANE - actually its the type of stuff that happens way too often. Heck, I once shared a barn with a shady WP trainer - I can share some "insane" stories of her deplorable "training" techniques.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem so "Insane" anymore, with posters chiming in about how they've seen it happen. I've never seen it before though, so it sure was insane to me!

The kind of crap going on really is heartbreaking.

Speaking of draw reins and side reins at the same time, today I got a look at a Polo magazine. Can't remember which one it was exactly and can't find the cover online.
    On the front cover was a nice pic of a player kissing the front of his pony's head. On the pony's head was a big old gag, and if I'm not mistaken draw reins. I was squinting at it and having a hard time making sense of all the leather going this way and that, not to mention the cord in the gag.

I guess the guy wanted some serious brakes.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

^^^ Actually that is pretty standard polo pony tack. Google "polo pony" and hit "images" - and check out the bridles.

Can't say I have seen many that do NOT go in draw reins - and usually a gag, sometimes a pehlam. Usually a tie down - to a rope noseband as well.

http://polopony.com/wp-content/uploa...o-cambiaso.jpg

http://eventbrite-s3.s3.amazonaws.co...22256/polo.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...antomTigre.jpg

http://polopony.com/wp-content/uploa...3-1024x779.jpg

Yep App. Found plenty after looking https://www.facebook.com/PoloPlayers...type=3&theater .
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    *She also had a "rare as the mythical unicorn" (so rare it doesn't exist) CHESTNUT Friesian (supposedly purebred). "Imported from Europe." Uh...more likely EXPORTED in the dark of night before the registry yanked the sire and dam's papers.....

Chestnut (fox) Friesians do crop up now and again, purebred, but I don't think they are eligible for full registration. Completely undesirable in the breed standard I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    I too could totally see this type of thing happening because, well, I've seen it happen. Had a Meredith Manor student board at our barn over the summer last year. I popped over the hill coming back from a trail ride and what do I see? Girl in the riding arena on her *massive* green-broke draft cross, draw reins with a curb bit and so many straps tying his head into place the poor gelding looked like a Rube Goldberg contraption. She was yanking HARD on his mouth and spurring the bejeebus out of him with I kid you not the biggest, nastiest set of spurs I've seen in my life. It was ugly to see.

I got to the barn, hopped off my horse and was fixing to call the BO because it was a nasty display going on in that arena but before I could dial her number the horse blew. Bucked her off so hard she went airborne and then ran over her, turned that girl into a grease spot in the arena. Her mom scraped her up and took her to the hospital. She ended up having a broken collar bone, broken arm and fractured ankle.

I'm sure it would have been a big old scene between her, her mom, BO and I if the horse hadn't handled the situation first. I wasn't going to watch that crap and BO doesn't let that kind of behavior fly on her her property.

But yeah. Sadly I have no trouble believing someone of any age would be stupid enough to do that to a horse.
    And Equine justice prevailed!!! Horray for the poor boy! Sadly many horses are so kind and do not have that spirit of self preservation.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Chestnut (fox) Friesians do crop up now and again, purebred, but I don't think they are eligible for full registration. Completely undesirable in the breed standard I believe.
    Yes, I know they occasionally crop out, but my understanding is the European breed registry will, indeed, pull the papers on sire and dam if it happens and they know about it. (It's the unicorn that doesn't exist! LOL!! T)

Two passersby were going past my field one day when my big grey (white) mare cantered out of the trees and one of them shrieked 'OMG IT'S A UNICORN!!...oh no it's a horse..."her friend gave her the funniest look

Sorry for going off topic OP

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Now that's a real shame if they aren't eligible for full registration. I don't care for black Friesians, nor black and white Vanners (Cobs), but a chestnut Friesian would be very pretty! Ah well.