The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Way to go, Arab_Mare. It sounds like you handled the situation really well, when I'm sure the adrenalin was flowing. Poor horse. Thank God you came along when you did because that is animal cruelty in the form of surplus of ego and lack of knowledge, a dangerous combo.
    Hope the horse will recover mentally from his experience.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I do find hard to believe that anyone would be dumb enough, at any age, to ride with side reins and draw reins.
    Given the sheer amount of equipment old H/J trainer used to have some of her riders put on a horse at once (horse ridden in a pelham with a single rein to the snaffle ring defeating the purpose of it, standing martingale, draw reins, after LTD before the rider got on) I would not actually find that all that difficult to believe. But even she never, IIRC, had someone ride in side reins no matter what other equipment was involved. LUNGE the horse until it was dizzy in them, sure. I just don't recall her actively trying to kill us....

Well, actively trying to kill students IS rather bad for ongoing business...

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    It makes you someone who is willing to think the worst of a 16-year-old. I try to think that there are two sides (at least) to every story, and that no one is as awful as that kid is portrayed.
    I suggest you read the musical jumper thread and come back and tell us how no teen can be that cruel.

Teens can be just as cruel as adults.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Given the sheer amount of equipment old H/J trainer used to have some of her riders put on a horse at once (horse ridden in a pelham with a single rein to the snaffle ring defeating the purpose of it, standing martingale, draw reins, after LTD before the rider got on) I would not actually find that all that difficult to believe. But even she never, IIRC, had someone ride in side reins no matter what other equipment was involved. LUNGE the horse until it was dizzy in them, sure. I just don't recall her actively trying to kill us....
    Side reins are proper equipment on the longe line, where a horse is under direct control, just not turned loose, where if something were to happen, the horse panic, he was free to crash and burn all over the place.
    Especially dangerous used as it was described in the OP, the horse in them with nowhere to go, no relief possible, way tight, the horse BTV.

You don't use them that tight even on the longe line, where they have their uses properly adjusted for what we are trying to accomplish.

Musical jumper thread? Link?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    I suggest you read the musical jumper thread and come back and tell us how no teen can be that cruel.

Teens can be just as cruel as adults.

1 members found this post helpful.

OP, I'm going to have a drink for you, because my head is exploding too. Good job, well done.

Malda
    Musical jumper thread? Link?
    Two words that strike fear into my heart: MUSICAL JUMPER. (cue Pyscho shower music).
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

3 members found this post helpful.

Yeah. Link for Musical Jumper, please?

What Musical Jumper thread??
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Brief update on the horse:

Horse was ridden today bareback and in a halter by the owner's trainer for about 20 minutes out on a trail. Horse was nervous about too much pressure on his face, as well as very much leg pressure. He never lost it though, and enjoyed some grass on his little ride.

Synopsis is that horse isn't negative with a rider, just with any hints at a confining position that is about to be required. Trainer is optimistic about training though, and thinks he'll be fine in a month or two.

I'll keep an ear out for any other information as it comes up.

9 members found this post helpful.

Cliff notes on Musical JUmper, as it was several years ago. Kid comes on the boards asking for all kinds of sympathy about her horse that was sick and dying. Kid gets all kinds of attention and sympathy, especially after horse died.

Later, someone comes forward with the truth: horse was only 7 and kid starved it to death in order to get attention. I'm sure I left out many details, but it was several years ago.
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

Well OP, I tend to believe your story and am also thankful you did something. HOWEVER, from now on when you go for a walk be sure to take your video camera along I posted a story of witnessing abuse, or was it cruelty? I was definitely berated for not knowing the difference. I did get some support, but I got a lot of "2 sides to every story", and was accused of starting a cat fight I'd hesitate to post another similar story. Hopefully I won't see any more to even be tempted to post!

Oh, and Musical Jumper was terribly sad, and sickening, and would make any sane person angry
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    What Musical Jumper thread??
    You can find links to it in this thread.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...hlight=threads

I apologize in advance if I just ruined anyone's plans for the evening by posting this.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Oh God, MJ was a horrible, gory Train Wreck :-/

One of my favorite TW's was the one with the chic who made up spousal and (animal?) abuse just to get attention.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Let's see.

The Op found someone riding in what she felt was an aggressive or abusive manner. She confronted the person, reported it and it was addressed and resolved by the horse owner. End of story?

You would think so.

But the title of the thread

Absolutely Insane Story Today

just does not match this story which makes one wonder if the OP's observations were exaggerated also. Drama llama?

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Let's see.

The Op found someone riding in what she felt was an aggressive or abusive manner. She confronted the person, reported it and it was addressed and resolved by the horse owner. End of story?

You would think so.

just does not match this story which makes one wonder if the OP's observations were exaggerated also. Drama llama?

Um, I was extremely surprised, and I think many other COTH posters would be too. In review, it may not have been as dramatic as I first thought, especially compared to Big Lick, etc., but I do think it was an appropriate title due to the fact I have never witnessed something like that, and I doubt many other posters have either. "Absolutely Insane Story" may not work if you are used to this behavior, but it completely surprised me, I would have NEVER thought I would have seen this situation at the small-town barns where I am.

5 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for the update, Arab_Mare. You're good people.

As was mentioned by a few folks already, some of the gadgetry employed by "trainers" and some of the training methods used, are shocking as it is very difficult to categorize them as anything other than cruel.

I, too, have NO trouble believing the OP saw things as she described and small town or not - I think it speaks to the unfortunate circumstances of the horse world that there are those of us who have seen these rank training practices enough NOT to be shocked as the OP was.

My experience w/draw reins was as Bluey described with the exception of geography. My dressage trainer was European (uh, he's still European but not my trainer anymore lol), he put draw reins on my OTTB who enjoyed rearing. The goal as ALWAYS to wean her out of them and we did. He never used gadgets to replace authenticity and patience. I was absolutely shocked when I went to a local-yocal QH farm where a friend was boarding her not quite 2 yo QH and saw all the young horses going around 15m circles in draw reins. What the fig newton? Sadly, these young horses were just being cranked & kicked. That's what that farm continues to be known for these days. But that's another story.

OP I am so glad you did intervene. If I had leased out my horse to someone I trusted and this was happening, I'd be so grateful that someone such as yourself came along and put an end to it. Thanks for stepping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Let's see.

You would think so.

it is actually kind of that that the story is not insane enough for our taste buds....it's pretty freaking crazy.

And sadly, it is not remotely impossible.
    I have heard some doozies in my time....really good stuff....but at that time teenagers did not give lip when questioned....

And I have not heard about a lot of people stepping up and stopping int....
    Matter of fact, I heard that one bystander was warned not to go look and interfere....not sure If I could have stayed away, I tend to do stupid things at times, lack of self preservation....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

When I read a very negative post I first of all look at who posted it. If I see a regular pattern in the type of posts I just dismiss it and consider the source.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique