The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Good on you Arab_Mare! I say that was the right and brave thing to do.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    A poster with relatively few posts who is the hero of her own, very unlikely, story. I call BS.

Maybe not BS, but a one-sided story in which the poster demonizes a 16-year-old on a public forum and gets adulation

2 members found this post helpful.

Your awesome. I would have had less self control than you I fear, Would have dragged the little B@#ch off the poor thing and told her to never set foot on a horse until she learned how to ride and have respect for the animals.
    WHERE do these monsters come from?
    I can't say it is or isn't BS because I have seen it happen myself, not quite as extreme, but bad and stopped the child from further abuse!
    Why is everyone so quick to say it could not happen.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    A poster with relatively few posts who is the hero of her own, very unlikely, story. I call BS.
    So can you only post here about wild things that happen to or around you if you've been a member for years and made thousands of posts? Watch out folks! This is a no lurkers allowed group. Being a relative few poster person myself I can sympathize with the OP.

27 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SanJacMonument View Post
    That was good that they could get a vet and a chiropractor to come out on a Saturday afternoon - a tough accomplishment around here. Is she going to bill the woman leasing the horse?
    After I finished reading this my first thought was wow I want to live some where you can get a chiro out same day.

By the way, great self control OP! I would not have held it together that well.

and teenagers can't understand why owners are reluctant to send horses to them to be trained????

Good for you Arab Mare!! I am happy that you had the courage to stick your neck out and deal with the situation that needed to be rectified.

While I have relatively few posts (over many, many years), I will add that my vet frequently drops by to our barn if she is on call on weekends just to say hello. I would have ZERO problem getting both her, and the chiro, out to the barn within 30 min, unless they are dealing with some sort of emergency. That is just the relationship we have!

I hope this results in a learning experience for this person. They do not need to be vilified - they need a solid explanation of why their actions were unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

5 members found this post helpful.

Your rock. My spidey sense is not tingling (although it certainly isn't infallible.)
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We have a local vet that he does chiro and acupuncture as a good portion of his vet work. But he is the owner of a full service vet practice with two other vets. He is frequently the on call vet. Therefore he could fill both the vet & chiro roles.

I bet that if I called my chiropractor in an emergency like that she would come same day if that was vaguely the area she was covering that day. She only does chiro & acupuncture now but for many years was a regular traditional large animal vet.

As far as the OP having very few posts 170 give or take isn't really that low and she has been a member since May 2012. She likely is a lurker. It doesn't make her a troll.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

5 members found this post helpful.

I do find hard to believe that anyone would be dumb enough, at any age, to ride with side reins and draw reins.

Good job! Thanks Goodness you were brave enough to do this and call for help at the same time. That poor horse.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, call me a Pollyanna, but the whole scenario sounds completely plausible to me! Good for you, Arab_Mare-- you asserted yourself on behalf of horse and owner in a most appropriate manner. That takes guts and level-headedness, a commodity in short supply for many people.

Bluey--that kind of stupidity really does exist, in all disciplines. Ignorance in this case certainly was no bliss for the horse.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Well, call me a Pollyanna, but the whole scenario sounds completely plausible to me!
    Why would that make you a Pollyanna ? It makes you someone who is willing to think the worst of a 16-year-old. I try to think that there are two sides (at least) to every story, and that no one is as awful as that kid is portrayed.

Besides, I happen to think genuinely good deeds are done privately, particularly when someone else is deemed the villain. I actually do think some of you want to think the worst of other people

3 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Disco--I was responding to the claims that the OP is a Big Fat Liar because she has only 280 posts here, and no way could anything Crazy Like That ever happen.

I've spent 20 years dealing with 14 year old kids in school. Yes, kids make really stupid decisions without thought (heck, so do some adults!), so a 16 year old acting that badly on a horse is completely reasonable. I don't think the OP was trashing the kid, she was simply relating a fairly shocking example of bad riding/training decision making aboard someone's horse. Sure, there's two sides to every story and we're only hearing one. She didn't swear at the kid, she didn't even really yell at her (or so she says). Why are you so set to say the kid was harmed in this? If the OP had said a 20-something girl, I doubt you'd be upset, right?

I don't think the worst of people, I simple recognize that riding can bring out the idiot in certain personality types when the horse doesn't instantly do what they think is the action they want, regardless of age or riding discipline.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

11 members found this post helpful.

Side reins and draw reins at the same time, well no, but I've seen something recently that made me take a step back. I think that what you are used to can dull your sensitivity to a particular method, the long speeches I got many years ago about the Right Way and the Things we Don't Use have made me very unlikely to use draw reins. But other people I know have never gotten those speeches.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I try to think that there are two sides (at least) to every story, and that no one is as awful as that kid is portrayed.
    I think you are being terribly naive to think that no one is as awful as that kid is portrayed. There are plenty of documented cases where people starve animals to death. The bad practices of soring in Big Lick, the woman with the facebook page that is a dominatrix, Mexican rodeo. People start somewhere. I don't think most animal abusers suddenly start abusing at age 30. I think by the time a person is 16 years old they either have empathy or not. (Or have been taught it or not). It sounds like this child does not have much empathy. Her lack of empathy was compounded by bad decision making that many teenagers make.

At 16 she has probably seen and/or used side reins, draw reins etc.... She likely is not well versed in the appropriate situations to use those training devices. She probably figured more is better. The horse got a little balky since he had no clue what he was being asked, she got a little mad and figured she would make him do what she wanted and things snowballed. He was just being bad/willful and she would "fix" it.

I do not want to believe to worst in people. IRL I am the first to get taken advantage of because I want to help people and want to believe people.

As far as good deed being done privately that is your personal motto, good for you. On the other hand I remember reading stories where a shopper would go randomly pay lay-aways off. Once people read about in on the web more people started to do it. If that had been kept private there would have been less random acts of kindness.

OP never named the villain. I didn't see the original post as bragging about a good deed she did. I saw it as a OMG you will never believe what somebody actually thought was good training.

I think that OP posting that she was able to step in and stop the situation may empower somebody else that reads this in the future. Too many times we hear about the abuse and are surprised or disgusted that nobody had the fortitude to step in do something to stop it.
    Good for OP for stepping up to the plate, getting the appropriate people involved and then getting out of the way to let them handle it.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

21 members found this post helpful.

Sadly, I have seen someone mount up with both side reins and draw reins, so her story is totally believable to me.

3 members found this post helpful.

Good for you! And enjoy those drinks--you earned them!

Again...kudos. I hate spineless people when it comes to stuff like this. I USED to be friends with the owner/trainer at a HJ barn where a 14 yr old, after her horse refused a fence due to her bad riding, got off and whipped the horse in the face with her crop then got on, yanked him around, then rode him to a sweat and threw him in a stall....poor horse. The BO/trainer griped and complained to everyone but that kid's parents.. and but did NOTHING because she is....spineless! Ugh..lost respect for that person big time.