The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've never heard of a cattle owner not having some sort of fly control program. Back rubbers, pour on's, face rubbers, feed through, blocks, ear tags, not to mention management.

Just the horn flies will cause cattle to drop weight - it doesn't make sense to not have some sort of fly control program. But maybe things are different here.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    So - what is the link between BHV and BVP ?
    Oops, I meant BPV 1 and 2, not BHV 1 and 2. We've been studying cattle diseases caused by herpes viruses in my systemic pathology class and I had bovine herpes virus on my brain!

You all need to live where I live. The cattle around me do not get feed through, or dust, possibly ear tags but I wouldn't count on it.

So yeah I was miffed last year when my neighbor decided to buy some youngstock. No cattle for several years so I thought I'd try fly predators at least for the horn flies. Well I'm here to say, they were just as bad if not worse than the previous years I only used topical solutions. Yeah I'm blaming the cattle.

OP there is nothing you can do about your neighbors. Just do your best for relief on your front. Depending on where you live, that usually involves an arsenal of products.

I may purchase yet another rig for the deer and horse flies that have zero to do with cattle, yet are a big problem in northern wetland areas.

Quote Originally Posted by future vet View Post
    Oops, I meant BPV 1 and 2, not BHV 1 and 2. We've been studying cattle diseases caused by herpes viruses in my systemic pathology class and I had bovine herpes virus on my brain!
    It has been established that BVP is present in bovines and equine sarcoids. However all that proves is that bovines and equines suffer from the same virus. It does not establish the origin/vector of the virus.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

The only horse I ever had with a sarcoid was a tb who would not get within a country mile of a cow given the choice. And indeed when he developed said sarcoid, there were no cows within minimum two miles as the crow flies.

We ignored it for years, then it became active and so was treated with injections of a chemotherapy drug and the last little bit frozen off. It was in his ear and so a bit tricky to treat.

My horse has a large sarciod below his right eye...and I dont beleive he has ever been seen a cow...

However, I was told this: "It has been established that BVP is present in bovines and equine sarcoids. However all that proves is that bovines and equines suffer from the same virus. It does not establish the origin/vector of the virus."

We have tried everything for my horse...freezing it, injecting it, surgically removing it, Xterra, it IS smaller than it was but also changed from a flat sarciod to a more fibrouse (sp?) one that oozes....I hate the stupid thing!!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"