The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stubben saddle help

Sorry! Another saddle thread!

I'm on the saddle search *again* as my young guy is going to make a foray into jumping, and of course NONE of my current saddles fit! Had my fitter out and she recommended the best fit and bang for my buck would be a Stubben saddle (the Edelweiss specifically) with a 30 cm tree.

I know nothing about Stubben as I've never ridden in them personally, and there seem to be a lot of models out there. Can the CoTH collective assist me in figuring out where I should start? Obviously test riding a few, however none of the tack shops near me carry Stubben so I'm kind of shooting in the dark here.

This isn't going to be a daily, forever saddle, so I don't really mind if it doesn't fit me perfectly. My day to day jump saddle is a Childeric M 2.5 and I love it dearly - I just wish it would fit!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Why not get in touch with the company directly? I expect they would be most helpful.
    http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/stubbencontact.php

My trainer has been using his Edelweiss more than anything else this winter. He finds it comfortable, and It's a good fit on quite a few horses in the barn. It eorks well for some horses that are "hard to fit" in French saddles, simply because the trees are made entirely different (spring tree, more of a U shape). Plus they are are wool flocked to allow for minor adjustments. I tried it out to see what it felt like for me....it was too small a seat size, and didn't fit my butt or leg. However, I really like the leg position it put me in, and it seemed comfortable.

I just had the Stubben N. America fitter out to my barn in Oakland, CA. He was amazing. I got compliments from my trainer on how knowledgeable he was not only on the saddles, but he had good eye for what I was doing right.. and wrong.

I chose the Edelweiss. If you can figure out your fit, they have many used and demo saddles for sale on their website and as I was researching prices, there are a bunch on eBay.

Not only are there so many models, but tree size, twists, everything.... you can get extra blocks and flaps too. If I had to try to fit a Stubben on my own, I would be lost. The custom guy was the only way to go. Good luck!!

BTW, I am replacing the Stubben Sigfried VSD I had from 1982 when I was 12. They hold up FOREVER!! Don't be afraid of the used ones.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have several Stubbens and I love all of them for what they do. My main saddle is the Roxane. I foxhunt in it and its great. Secure and comfortable without feeling like I'm held in anywhere.

My newest Stubben is 5+ years old. My oldest one is probably 30+ years old. All of them are in great shape and I'm not the greatest at keeping them clean.

You can find used Stubbens for pretty cheap on eBay all the time. They seem to sell pretty easily so you wouldn't be out much, if anything if you picked one up and didn't wind up liking it. Most of mine are eBay buys. I've always known ahead of time that I was looking for X model in Y tree size. FWIW, if the seller doesn't have the tree size listed, its stamped on one of the billet flaps right below the serial number. It will be most commonly a number 28-32 (though they do have 27 and 34 as well) or a letter A-D (A being 28cm and going up from there).

Ditto candysgirl. I sell a lot of Stubbens - but only the older used ones. If you're buying new, there are lot better options. I really like that your fitter gave you a prescription for buying a saddle Not through her - that's what I do for cases where a $400 - $800 used saddle is your best option. You have the size and the recommendation, now go buy it on ebay. You do have to check that the tree is not twisted when it arrives (despite what Stubben say, these trees can twist and warp). And with the newer ones, you do have to check that the panels were put on correctly when the saddle was built - there are some quality control issues with the assembly of the newer ones. But you're basically fairly safe buying a used Stubben unseen as long as you know the seat and tree size. I've had good luck with Siegfrieds and the Roxanne. (And I love the Portos, but that's not the one for you in this situation).

Every barn needs an older Stubben hanging around.

I LOVE my Edelweiss! Bought it when I was 15 (27 now) and it is still in mint condition. I used it to foxhunt, trail ride, show hunter/jumpers, and work greenies. It has fit a myriad of horses and is always my go-to over my others.

I did recently sit in a Roxanne at the Dover store and fell in LURVE. Like Candysgirl said, I felt like I was secure and holy crap was my tush comfy That biomex seat is awesome.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

This may sound stupid... If my fitter recommends a 30cm tree, is it that bad to buy a 31 cm....? I found exactly what I'm looking for but in a 31cm tree. Can I just buy it anyways??

I wouldn't. You may be able to pad it up and make it do, but why discard the advice of the professional fitter?

If you are looking for a used Edelweiss in 30 cm width, they are out there. Here's the link to the used ones Stubben North America has available. You might get a better deal on ebay, but these are probably only lightly used, and they have several in the correct width:

http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/s...sedsaddles.php
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I know this is an older post but... Have you found a saddle to fit your requirements? Depending on the seat size I have exactly what you are looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Sfbayequine View Post

BTW, I am replacing the Stubben Sigfried VSD I had from 1982 when I was 12. They hold up FOREVER!! Don't be afraid of the used ones.
    i sold my 1969 Stubben Siegfried two years ago, bought brand new when I was a junior. They do last forever.

1 members found this post helpful.