The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trophy Hunter Repairs

My schooling pair of Trophy Hunters finally fell apart after 2 years of hard use. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with repairing a hole in the crotch. I don't want to get them fixed or patched if they are just going to fall apart again after one ride. Anyone have any success with patching or sewing?

Yes! The crotch on mine fell apart about a year ago and I just sewed it back together myself and they've held up remarkably well since then and I still show in them. Spending a little for a good repair is definitely better than buying a whole new pair in my book.

I patched a pair. I had a pair of Trophy Hunters that turned out to be from a defective lot sold by SmartPak at a discounted rate. They were on sale for $89 or so because TS had discounted them because the fabric was bad. They have since changed the fabric. I have bought several pairs since and they have held up much better.

I patched the large crotch hole that developed in the defective pair with a piece of t-shirt that was the same color. It worked, the repair held but I only wear those if all of the other breeches are in the wash...and my friends make fun of my crotchless breeches, but fixing them is worth a try! If you need to add a patch, it is best to use something like jersey material that has about the same amount of stretch as the breech. If you use something with less stretch, the seams of the repair may eventually tear.

I have a question in the same vein. One of the knee patches on my Trophy Hunters is starting to come off - the stitches are coming undone and the patch is peeling back a bit at the top. Can I take that in somewhere to get it repaired?

I've replaced entire knee patches on my Tailoreds so they should be able to sew them back up for you, it might be worth it to have a leather shop do it for you though.